    to find a clear answer anywhere on the MS site.

    Thanks,
    Heather

    Heather, Mar 30, 2005

  2. Heather

    John O Guest

    > Hello. Can anyone tell me if MCDST is a lifelong
    > certification or if it has to be renewed? I can't seem
    > to find a clear answer anywhere on the MS site.

    It's lifelong---for as long as Windows XP is relevant.

    -John O

    John O, Mar 30, 2005

  3. Heather

    Heather Guest

    Thanks!

    Heather, Mar 30, 2005
  4. Heather

    Jason Guest

    There is one caveat to John's answer..."for as long as WIndows XP is
    relevant".

    A cert is simply a measure of one type of technology. As technologies
    change, so too do the certs that companies look for. I highly doubt ANY
    companies are looking for individuals who are "certified" on Windows 3.11
    for Workgroups (if such a certification exists...) For that matter, while
    NT 4.0 MCSE certification does still merit some consideration, this is only
    due to the assumption that anyone who has that cert is maintaining their
    knowledge base to adhere to current standards and practices. Since
    Microsoft does not really support the NT 4.0 system anymore (they do through
    3rd party subscription agreements, but these are insanely expensive), the NT
    4.0 range of certs are significantly devalued.

    Ultimately, what I am saying is a more detailed explanation than
    John's...the MCDST will always be a credential...it's usefullness is limited
    to the coverage. If you obtain an MCDST on XP, you should be safe for entry
    level work through 2010. If you are still doing entry level work at that
    point, well...there are other issues for you to address other than upgrading
    your entry level skill sets.

    Jason, Mar 30, 2005
  5. Heather

    beb Guest

    Ultimately what you sound like is an idiot.

    beb, Mar 31, 2005
  6. Heather

    John O Guest

    > beb, ultimately I hope that you will be able to develop your emotional
    > control
    > and some communicative reasoning. Ultimately, tantrums of mind or spirit
    > are
    > counterproductive to problem resolution. Ultimately, I believe you forgot
    > that
    > this is the MCDST newsgroup. Ultimately, I wish you well.
    > *****

    In my experience, some folks just aren't suited for regular contact with the
    public. They might make great bench technicians, but keep them in the back
    room, and don't let them answer the phone, please. ;-)

    -John O

    John O, Mar 31, 2005
  7. Heather

    Jason Guest

    Was my reply stupid or idiotic? Or is it possible that beb (and possibly
    badger...not sure why you could be persuaded to agree with beb given an
    argument) missed my point?

    My point, more succinctly stated is that anyone who relies on an entry level
    cert for more than say, 2 years, will always stay entry level. In my humble
    opinion (imho), anyone who lacks the ambition to be static in their IT
    development is either not interested in advancing in the field, or trying to
    pretend they are something they are not. Either way, I have no use for
    people like that.

    Jason, Apr 1, 2005
  8. Heather

    Jason Guest

    Fair point...I must have mis-read the post, so apologies for leaping to the
    conclusion. Oh well...beats putting white out all over my screen! :)

    Jason, Apr 1, 2005
  9. Heather

    Rome Guest

    So my question is, when an new OS comes out, lets say Windows MP lol, do you
    think that microsoft will offer an upgrade exam?

    Rome, Apr 22, 2005
  10. Heather

    Jason Guest

    Perhaps...the lack of success of XP Home makes me wonder what MS plans to do
    for home systems versus business systems in future generations, and I am
    sure their wheels are spinning on how to capitalize on each market
    individually as much as possible (i.e. home OS certs AND business OS certs).
    The companies like Rent-a-Geek would be interested in employees with dual
    certs...methinks they are simply looking for ways to
    monopolize..er..capitalize as much as possible on the different OS
    avenues...

    Jason, Apr 22, 2005