    covering entry-level support technicians? I've tried poking around at some
    of the "help wanted" sites, but they don't tend to include pay rates (they
    seem to all say "DOE" or "Market Rate").

    Michael D. Hensley, Apr 25, 2007

  2. Michael D. Hensley

    JaR Guest

    "Michael D. Hensley" <> wrote in
    news::

    > So, has anyone seen any web sites with relatively recent salary
    > surveys covering entry-level support technicians? I've tried poking
    > around at some of the "help wanted" sites, but they don't tend to
    > include pay rates (they seem to all say "DOE" or "Market Rate").

    That's because CompUSA, Geek Squad, etc all start out at around $7 to $12
    hr. Assuming you're in the USA. Inexperienced techs are a dime a dozen. I
    actually talked with a Service Mgr at a CompUSA that was looking for an
    entry level tech a couple of years ago, that wouldn't even call you for
    an interview unless you had experience and a couple three certs. Starting
    wage? $11 hr.

    I told him to stick it where the sun don't shine.

    --
    JaR
    And bite me

    JaR, Apr 25, 2007

  3. Michael D. Hensley

    TheITGirl Guest

    "JaR" wrote:

    > "Michael D. Hensley" <> wrote in
    >
    > > So, has anyone seen any web sites with relatively recent salary
    > > surveys covering entry-level support technicians? I've tried poking
    > > around at some of the "help wanted" sites, but they don't tend to
    > > include pay rates (they seem to all say "DOE" or "Market Rate").

    > That's because CompUSA, Geek Squad, etc all start out at around $7 to $12
    > hr. Assuming you're in the USA. Inexperienced techs are a dime a dozen. I
    > actually talked with a Service Mgr at a CompUSA that was looking for an
    > entry level tech a couple of years ago, that wouldn't even call you for
    > an interview unless you had experience and a couple three certs. Starting
    > wage? $11 hr.
    >
    > I told him to stick it where the sun don't shine.
    >
    > --
    > JaR
    > And bite me
    > Remove hat to reply

    $11 an hour for a certified, experienced technician is taking the p*ss - I'm
    not surprised you told CompUSA to shove it.

    In the UK, at least we have a national minimum wage of £5.35 (approximately
    $11) an hour for workers 22 and over, and £4.45 (around $9) for those between
    18 and 21.

    When I changed career to IT two years ago (I used to be a legal secretary),
    I accepted a 3-month student placement with the NHS just to get experience,
    but I had to take a huge drop in salary to do so. I had to start on £12,000
    a year, pro rata. That placement was extended to 9 months, after which I was
    fortunate enough to get a Help Desk position at a law firm (my experience as
    a legal secretary was a major factor in my getting this job). I am now
    working as a DST at another law firm and have doubled my initial NHS salary.

    Michael, however good your friend is, he's almost certainly going to have to
    do his time working for peanuts just to get something to put on his CV. If
    he's as good as you say he is, with 6-12 months' experience under his belt he
    should be able to more easily get a reasonably-paid position.

    Wish him all the best from this fellow career changer.

    IT Girl MCDST

    TheITGirl, Apr 25, 2007
  4. "JaR" <> wrote in message

    > "Michael D. Hensley" <> wrote in
    >
    > > So, has anyone seen any web sites with relatively recent salary
    > > surveys covering entry-level support technicians? I've tried poking
    > > around at some of the "help wanted" sites, but they don't tend to
    > > include pay rates (they seem to all say "DOE" or "Market Rate").

    > That's because CompUSA, Geek Squad, etc all start out at around $7 to $12
    > hr. Assuming you're in the USA. Inexperienced techs are a dime a dozen. I
    > actually talked with a Service Mgr at a CompUSA that was looking for an
    > entry level tech a couple of years ago, that wouldn't even call you for
    > an interview unless you had experience and a couple three certs. Starting
    > wage? $11 hr.
    >
    > I told him to stick it where the sun don't shine.
    >
    > --
    > JaR
    > And bite me
    > Remove hat to reply

    Yeah, about the same here in Florida. $10 an hour is the going
    entry-level wage.
    --
    Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST
    CertGuard - http://www.certguard.com

    Michael D. Alligood, Apr 26, 2007
  5. Just a quick note to say "thank you" to everyone who responded. It looks
    like a concensus answer is that, for someone starting out with no
    experience, somewhere around $10-$12/hour is typical. Since we live in the
    SF Bay Area, it's likely to be on the high end, but it will be a pretty
    large cut if he decides to go for it (he's making something over $30,000 as
    a front-desk clerk at a large hotel).

    I appreciate all of the feedback. I'm too far seperated in time from "entry
    level" to have any idea what current pay rates are. Very interesting.

    Michael D. Hensley, Apr 26, 2007
  6. Michael D. Hensley

    catwalker63 Guest

    Michael D. Hensley piffled away vaguely:

    > Just a quick note to say "thank you" to everyone who responded. It looks
    > like a concensus answer is that, for someone starting out with no
    > experience, somewhere around $10-$12/hour is typical. Since we live in the
    > SF Bay Area, it's likely to be on the high end, but it will be a pretty
    > large cut if he decides to go for it (he's making something over $30,000 as
    > a front-desk clerk at a large hotel).

    On the plus side, if he turns out to be any good at IT support etc. he
    could quickly surpass his $30K salary. As a hotel clerk, he's probably
    peaked.
    --

    Catwalker
    MCNGP #43

    catwalker63, Apr 26, 2007
  7. Michael D. Hensley

    Jo Guest

    Michael:

    I would have to agree with IT Girl. Unfortunately, in any profession, you
    have to start at the bottom and work your way up. There are no guarantees in
    any field. I would tell your friend that if he is that good, get his
    experience, get his education and move from there. Yes, here in Maryland
    it's about the same - $10 an hour. However, I got my A+, my MCP and am now
    making over the $30,000 mark. And again, that figure is different for a tech
    in banking, a tech in a law firm, or a tech in a corporate environment.
    There are a lot of variables.

    As I tech in a law firm I was making close to $40,000 with only an A+ and
    had an hour subway ride. Got laid off and moved into the banking industry
    where my pay is a bit lower, but I'm only 15 minutes from home. Again, a lot
    of variables when it comes to the job environment.

    I wish your friend luck in his quest.
    --
    Motochick

    Jo, Apr 26, 2007
  8. You're in the banking industry too eh? nice! do you have imaging software to
    process your checks? if so what is it's name? we have our software through a
    company named "Imagestar" based in California. We have to do banking
    training courses where I work on subjects I don't really use... Visit
    www.bankerselearning.com to get bored... haha

    Keith Chilton, Apr 26, 2007