    MCDST and work up to it. I'd really apreciate any advice anyone could give me.

    Cheers

    James

    James Parker, Jul 10, 2006

  2. Well if you look all of the tests on the mcse are from the mcsa and the mcsa
    gives you credit for the mcdst so why not start there and work your way up.

    Mitchell Buchanan MOS MASTER, Jul 11, 2006

  3. James Parker

    Dennis Guest

    Actually, if you look at the http://www.microsoft.com/learning MCSA is not an
    elective for MCDST, it is the opposite. The MCDST can be used as an elective
    for MCSA, but you can not use MCDST can not be used as an elective for MCSE.

    Therefore, if you do MCDST you take 2 exams (271 & 272). You will then need
    to take 270, 290, 291 plus use the MCDST as your elective to become MCSA.

    For MCSE you need, 270, 290, 291, 293, 294, either 297 or 298, plus 1 of the
    following 089, 227, 228, 229, 232, 281, 282, 284, 285,297, 298, 299, 301,
    350, or 431.

    This would give you a total of 7 exams.

    Using myself as a reference, this was my route:

    MCDST - I was doing mostly desktop support at the time.
    MCSA - using MCDST as my elective
    MCSE security - 270, 290, 291, 293, 294, 298, 350, security +
    --
    Cheers,

    Dennis

    Dennis, Jul 12, 2006
  4. James Parker

    Villain Guest

    I'm also taking the MCDST -> MCSA -> MCSE route. It seems to be one
    of the most logical paths that is available, if you want to work your
    way through the ranks.

    I have yet to take the second part of my MCDST, but once that's done I
    will start working on the remaining 3 tests for MCSA, which gets me
    further up the ladder.

    Villain, Jul 13, 2006
  5. James Parker

    Implacable Guest

    after reading what the other guys said about the route to take, I actually
    have one question to ask.....How are you guys getting this training; is it in
    a private institution, bootcamp, community college, self study?
    I just finish about 8 months at UEI and got my A+ certification, and i am
    studying for the 70-272 exam for MCDST and 70-210 for MCP. after that i am
    looking to go for MCSE and Cisco. One option is bootcamp for MCSE and
    Security + (around $9,000) in 14 days or MCSE based on Security (around
    $4,500) in 6 months, 8 hours a week. I know that community colleges have MCSE
    but don't know about the price and the lenght. I have no background
    experience except what I learn at UEI. any suggestions?
    --
    A+ Certified Proffesional

    Implacable, Jul 16, 2006
  6. James Parker

    Villain Guest

    Most of my learning comes straight from working in the field. Right
    now, my main job is to support Windows XP at our offices as well as
    for remote users.

    Other than that, for me it's a lot of self study. I don't have the
    money to take classes or boot camps (nor would I want to do the
    latter), so I just use a laptop that I have and break it as much as
    possible, then follow the tutorials to fix it.

    Villain, Jul 20, 2006
  7. James Parker

    Implacable Guest

    wow, where do you work at?
    are you in california?
    --
    A+ Certified Proffesional

    Implacable, Jul 20, 2006
  8. James Parker

    Steve W. Guest

    I studied to get the A+ just from a few books and from my experience doing
    IT in the past. (2 weeks study)
    I studied to get the network+ from books and tried to get as much experience
    as I could. (3 weeks of dedicated study)
    I am now studying for the MCDST and I think it should be pretty easy.
    From there I'll be working on the MCSA self study again
    MCSE finally..

    The great thing about IT is that if you are motivated, you can get decent
    jobs without spending a ton of cash and time in college taking unrelated
    classes or pouring over topics with which you are already intimately
    familiar. Most employers for IT people seem to look more at specific certs
    than degrees. (however, if you are never satisfied like myself.. youll do
    both)

    Steve W., Jul 25, 2006