    guidance of people that have taken the test can offer I would appreciate any
    suggestions.
    Thanks.

    Nick, Nov 3, 2009

  2. "Nick" <> wrote in message
    news:%...
    >I just got done the MCDST class at my local community college. The
    >instructor gave us like 100 questions for each, 271, 272. And I found a
    >free PDF on the internet with like 400 questions each.
    > I realize that the point to the questions is to understand why the answers
    > are correct more so than to get the answers right. Is there any other
    > guidance of people that have taken the test can offer I would appreciate
    > any suggestions.

    Read the Study Guide?
    Do the exercises?
    Use Windows XP?
    Work as a Help Desk Tech using Windows XP?

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], Nov 3, 2009

  3. @Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

    Unfortunately, not everyone has the oppurtunity to work in a Support
    enviroment and is probably why they are currently studying towards thier
    MCDST.

    @Nick

    I opted (via my employer) to take the Computeach (here in the UK) route to
    obtaining my MCDST. And to be fair, the study material doesn't cover
    everything you get asked.

    I recently read a post elsewhere that has greatly helped me on my way to
    taking my first MCP exam (70-271) - and that is to use the MeasureUP website
    and their Study Mode practice exams. These are very detailed and offer a
    fantastic way to really learn why you need to do some things in a certain
    scenario.
    It doesn't just teach you the answers, it teaches you why thats the answer.

    Hope this helps just a little.

    Kristian W Bennett, Nov 5, 2009
  4. "Kristian W Bennett" <Kristian W > wrote in
    message news:...
    > @Lawrence Garvin [MVP]
    >
    > Unfortunately, not everyone has the oppurtunity to work in a Support
    > enviroment and is probably why they are currently studying towards thier
    > MCDST.

    Yes, I understand this reality.

    The defect here is the presumption that getting the MCDST is somehow a tool
    for breaking into the IT career and that's most certainly an incorrect
    presumption. An *education* is the correct tool for breaking into an IT
    career; a *certification* is for documenting actual, proven job skills and
    experience.

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], Nov 10, 2009
  5. Nick

    Nick Guest

    THanks Kristen,
    I Am actually doing the Measure up practice test in study mode. Doing the
    270 for now. I think am around 70-75%. Those ACPI, APM, NTFS/Folder
    Permissions and the language questions through me off mostly on my good
    days. I just wished there was some soft of Cliff notes on all the key
    concepts for the 271 and 272. I always refer back to the book from James
    Micheal Steward but it not very efficient way to study.
    I worked in a small office most of the time users found their own solutions
    but none as difficult as some of those questions.

    Nick, Nov 13, 2009
  6. Nick

    John R Guest

    "Nick" <> wrote in message
    > THanks Kristen,
    > I Am actually doing the Measure up practice test in study mode. Doing the
    > 270 for now. I think am around 70-75%. Those ACPI, APM, NTFS/Folder
    > Permissions and the language questions through me off mostly on my good
    > days. I just wished there was some soft of Cliff notes on all the key
    > concepts for the 271 and 272. I always refer back to the book from James
    > Micheal Steward but it not very efficient way to study.
    > I worked in a small office most of the time users found their own
    > solutions but none as difficult as some of those questions.

    My favorite sample test question of all time was about an exec that
    installed a new mouse driver and now his mouse didn't work at all, and he
    has a presentation to do in 15 min, what should you do. Of course the
    answer that the software wanted was to right click on my computer, click on
    properties, click on ... click on... click on...

    John R

    John R, Nov 13, 2009