MCDST Future and Questions

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Ian Watt, Nov 10, 2009.

  1. Ian Watt

    Ian Watt Guest

    Hello,

    I have really enjoyed doing my MCDST but am left in limbo at the minute as to what to do next?

    Am i correct in thinking do to doing the 70-271 and 70-272 exams do I have to upgrade these next September or lose the certification?

    The next main question is what do I do now? I want to make myself and 'ideal' candidate for the prospect of any IT support or Engineer's position am not sure if I should go ahead and do the 70-270, 70-290 and then 70-291. Or whether or not I should look at third party certifications e.g. Cisco or A+ and N+?

    I reckon the best way to find this information out is to contact those who are already there. So any help at all is much appreciated.

    I aplogise if this already has been asked by previous posters.

    Kind Regards

    Ian Watt

    IIS Remoting Database Calls With ASP.NET Client
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...b-8937bd8be541/iis-remoting-database-cal.aspx

    Ian Watt, Nov 10, 2009

  2. "Ian Watt" wrote in message news:...

    > Am i correct in thinking do to doing the 70-271 and 70-272 exams
    > do I have to upgrade these next September or lose the certification?

    The MCDST is a permanent certification, but only applies to Windows XP,
    which, IMHO, gives it a lifecycle of about 6-12 months from now, as I
    believe we're about to see a mass exodus from WinXP to Win7. Certainly I
    don't expect too many more enterprise deployments of Windows XP, and even
    existing short-term image refresh cycles might find themselves deferred in
    favor of deploying Win7 (or replacing hardware).

    The MCTS certifications are tied to the support cycles of the underlying
    products,
    and the MCITP certifications are tied to the validity of the underlying MCTS
    certifications.

    Note that the requirements for an MCITP are no longer simply a list of
    required exams, but rather
    - one or more MCTS certifications
    - plus one or more "PRO" exams which award the MCITP.

    Thus, losing the MCTS status will cause the MCITP to be invalidated. For
    example, my MCITP:EA is based on an MCTS: Vista, Configuring (70-620)
    certification. When that Vista MCTS expires in April, 2012, I'll either need
    to have completed the MCTS: Windows 7 by then (which, of course, I will
    <g>), or lose the MCITP:EA certification until I meet the new requirements.

    Of course, that's still only *theory* based on what's been published by
    Microsoft Learning. We've yet to actually see a 'renewal' cycle of an MCITP
    certification; the first chance being the SQL Server certifications -- and
    they "fixed" that by issuing a whole new certification path for SQL Server
    2008.

    > The next main question is what do I do now? I want to make myself and
    > 'ideal' candidate for the prospect
    > of any IT support or Engineer's position am not sure if I should go ahead
    > and do the 70-270,
    > 70-290 and then 70-291. Or whether or not I should look at third party
    > certifications
    > e.g. Cisco or A+ and N+?

    To make yourself the "ideal" candidate for a job I'd suggest you work on:
    [a] JOB skills
    INTERVIEW skills
    and not focus so much on certification.

    You have earned the MCDST, and that's pretty much a notch higher than you're
    likely to find in an entry-level position, anyway. Focusing effort on server
    certifications seems rather pointless if you have no practical job
    experience as a server administrator (you won't get hired as a server admin
    without experience). And while there might be merit in completing the 70-270
    (Windows XP), if you're bent on earning additional certifications -- I'd
    focus on *current* certifications that might actually cause you to develop
    some future marketable skills - like Windows 7 (70-680).

    But, in the end, the only thing a certification is going to get you is an
    interview *IF* the employer is looking for candidates with certifications.
    And, if you get the interview, but don't have the requiste JOB skills, the
    interviewer will know that in the first 3 minutes of the interview and
    you'll be on your way with a "We'll call you" in about 15 minutes.

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], Nov 11, 2009

  3. Ian Watt

    Ian Watt Guest

    Lawerance, thank you for your detailed reply. You have gave me an considerable amount of information to consider.

    Thankyou

    Lawrence Garvin [MVP] wrote:

    The MCDST is a permanent certification, but only applies to Windows XP,which,
    11-Nov-09

    The MCDST is a permanent certification, but only applies to Windows XP
    which, IMHO, gives it a lifecycle of about 6-12 months from now, as
    believe we are about to see a mass exodus from WinXP to Win7. Certainly
    do not expect too many more enterprise deployments of Windows XP, and eve
    existing short-term image refresh cycles might find themselves deferred i
    favor of deploying Win7 (or replacing hardware)

    The MCTS certifications are tied to the support cycles of the underlyin
    products
    and the MCITP certifications are tied to the validity of the underlying MCT
    certifications

    Note that the requirements for an MCITP are no longer simply a list o
    required exams, but rathe
    - one or more MCTS certification
    - plus one or more "PRO" exams which award the MCITP

    Thus, losing the MCTS status will cause the MCITP to be invalidated. Fo
    example, my MCITP:EA is based on an MCTS: Vista, Configuring (70-620
    certification. When that Vista MCTS expires in April, 2012, I will either nee
    to have completed the MCTS: Windows 7 by then (which, of course, I wil
    <g>), or lose the MCITP:EA certification until I meet the new requirements

    Of course, that is still only *theory* based on what is been published b
    Microsoft Learning. We've yet to actually see a 'renewal' cycle of an MCIT
    certification; the first chance being the SQL Server certifications -- an
    they "fixed" that by issuing a whole new certification path for SQL Serve
    2008

    To make yourself the "ideal" candidate for a job I'd suggest you work on
    [a] JOB skill
    INTERVIEW skill
    and not focus so much on certification

    You have earned the MCDST, and that is pretty much a notch higher than you ar
    likely to find in an entry-level position, anyway. Focusing effort on serve
    certifications seems rather pointless if you have no practical jo
    experience as a server administrator (you will not get hired as a server admi
    without experience). And while there might be merit in completing the 70-27
    (Windows XP), if you are bent on earning additional certifications -- I'
    focus on *current* certifications that might actually cause you to develo
    some future marketable skills - like Windows 7 (70-680)

    But, in the end, the only thing a certification is going to get you is a
    interview *IF* the employer is looking for candidates with certifications
    And, if you get the interview, but do not have the requiste JOB skills, th
    interviewer will know that in the first 3 minutes of the interview an
    you will be on your way with a "We'll call you" in about 15 minutes

    -
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDB
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texa
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009

    My Blog: http://onsitechsolutions.spaces.live.co
    Microsoft WSUS Website: http://www.microsoft.com/wsu

    A "Make Virtual Directory 2.0 Here" Windows Explorer Context Menu Utility
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...2c-92655c5551fa/a-make-virtual-directory.aspx

    Ian Watt, Nov 13, 2009