MCDST exams by Tim Warner

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by louscannon, Feb 28, 2006.

  1. louscannon

    louscannon Guest

    I've just got hold of this book as recommended by a few other readers,
    and already i'm a little puzzled by a few articles.
    For instance, i'm only on page 49, and i'm already asking myself "is
    that right?"
    Example, on page 46 This is described:
    "As we mentioned earlier, you'll set-up a multiple boot computer in a
    buisness envioroment either to support applications that are compatable
    with one version of windows, but not the other, or for testing
    puposes.That is, you can experiment with alternative device drivers
    without running the risk of losing your production OS installation.
    Also keep in mind that if you plan to boot XP with windows 9x, then you
    must format your system partition with NTFS and not FAT 32"
    eh?? I thought it was the other way round?

    and this:
    Question 3 ( on page 49)
    You are a SDT for a company named Mocha Monn inc. While you are
    installing Windows XP proffesional on a users workstation, the computer
    stops responding during the initial phases of the GUI mode of setup.
    You decide to troubleshoot the problem by modifying the default line of
    boot.ini
    What should you do?
    A add the /fastdetect switch to the default line of Boot.ini
    B add the /basevideo switch to the default line of Boot.ini
    C add the /noguiboot switch to the default line of Boot.ini
    D add the /sos switch to the default line of Boot.ini
    correct answer A
    However, he then goes on to say that you should add the /sos switch to
    the default line as per:
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition (2) \windows/sos

    Now i'm really confused! which is/was the correct answer?
    Graham

    louscannon, Feb 28, 2006

  2. louscannon

    Lasher Guest

    "louscannon" <> wrote in

    > I've just got hold of this book as recommended by a few other readers,
    > and already i'm a little puzzled by a few articles.
    > For instance, i'm only on page 49, and i'm already asking myself "is
    > that right?"
    > Example, on page 46 This is described:
    > "As we mentioned earlier, you'll set-up a multiple boot computer in a
    > buisness envioroment either to support applications that are

    compatable
    > with one version of windows, but not the other, or for testing
    > puposes.That is, you can experiment with alternative device drivers
    > without running the risk of losing your production OS installation.
    > Also keep in mind that if you plan to boot XP with windows 9x, then

    you
    > must format your system partition with NTFS and not FAT 32"
    > eh?? I thought it was the other way round?
    >
    > and this:
    > Question 3 ( on page 49)
    > You are a SDT for a company named Mocha Monn inc. While you are
    > installing Windows XP proffesional on a users workstation, the

    computer
    > stops responding during the initial phases of the GUI mode of setup.
    > You decide to troubleshoot the problem by modifying the default line

    of
    > boot.ini
    > What should you do?
    > A add the /fastdetect switch to the default line of Boot.ini
    > B add the /basevideo switch to the default line of Boot.ini
    > C add the /noguiboot switch to the default line of Boot.ini
    > D add the /sos switch to the default line of Boot.ini
    > correct answer A
    > However, he then goes on to say that you should add the /sos switch to
    > the default line as per:
    > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition (2) \windows/sos
    >
    > Now i'm really confused! which is/was the correct answer?
    > Graham

    D. is the right answer to "troubleshoot" an installation in this case.

    Second of all, I'd go find a REAL Microsoft Press Book on exam 70-271
    and not some piece of trash like you're reading. All of what you're
    reading is covered, however it's not confusing like you're describing.

    --
    Lasher
    MCNGP 110010

    Lasher, Feb 28, 2006

  3. louscannon

    louscannon Guest

    I've also got the offical Microsoft course book "2261B Supporting users
    running the Microsoft Windows XP operating system" and I find that
    helps a lot more than the book i bought from Amazon. The only good
    thing about that book, is the CD! which give a few ( a sit is a demo)
    questions from the MeasureUp group.
    Graham

    louscannon, Mar 1, 2006
  4. louscannon

    Lasher Guest

    "louscannon" <> wrote in

    > I've also got the offical Microsoft course book "2261B Supporting users
    > running the Microsoft Windows XP operating system" and I find that
    > helps a lot more than the book i bought from Amazon. The only good
    > thing about that book, is the CD! which give a few ( a sit is a demo)
    > questions from the MeasureUp group.
    > Graham

    Read what we've said about the MeasureUp tests on this particular exam.
    Learn the MOC if you have it. That's something that not many people get
    their hands on. Again, the MS Press Book on 70-271 SP2 is going to be your
    best bet.

    --
    Lasher
    MCNGP 110010

    Lasher, Mar 2, 2006
  5. louscannon

    louscannon Guest

    MOC?
    Graham

    louscannon, Mar 2, 2006
  6. louscannon

    Lasher Guest

    "Frisbee®" <> wrote in news:e9Bq05gPGHA.2012
    @TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:

    > "louscannon" <> wrote in message
    >> MOC?
    >> Graham

    > He's just MOCking you.

    Maybe. If you're asking that question, then you really don't know how
    valuable the information 2263 actually has for you. Maybe a site like
    CBTNuggets.com would be better. Go search microsoft.com and find out what
    the Microsoft Official Curriculm actually is.

    --
    Lasher
    MCNGP 110010

    Lasher, Mar 3, 2006