    terry Guest

    wrote 70-272 today and that about wraps it up for MCDST

    TJ
    terry, Jul 16, 2007

  2. terry

    Maincat Guest

    "terry" <> wrote in message news:...
    wrote 70-272 today and that about wraps it up for MCDST

    TJ

    Well done - I got mine last Friday - now for a rest!
    Maincat, Jul 16, 2007

  3. terry

    Montreal MCT Guest

    Hey Terry,

    Congratulations! Please report to your nearest IT Pro User Group to learn the secret handshake.

    Mitch Garvis, MCT
    MCSA, MCITP, MCDST, MCTS
    Visit my blog at http://blog.mitchgarvis.com

    Montreal MCT, Jul 16, 2007
  4. "terry" <> wrote in message

    > wrote 70-272 today and that about wraps it up for MCDST
    >
    > TJ

    Oh the journey is just beginning Terry...

    --
    Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST
    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Jul 16, 2007
  5. terry

    TheITGirl Guest

    "terry" <> wrote in message news:...
    wrote 70-272 today and that about wraps it up for MCDST

    TJ

    Hey, well done Terry!

    Onwards and upwards!

    ITGirl MCDST
    TheITGirl, Jul 17, 2007
  6. terry

    TJ Guest

    thanks.....time to de-stress......

    --

    Terry Jennings

    TJ, Jul 17, 2007
  7. terry

    djpimpdaddy Guest

    On Jul 16, 1:25 pm, "terry" <> wrote:
    > wrote 70-272 today and that about wraps it up for MCDST
    >
    > TJ

    Welcome to the club man! BTW: the secret handshake video was exploited
    on Youtube so it has changed.

    As for the MCSA, I have stuck with the MS Press books once again. I am
    at the end of the first leg of a long journey towards MCSE. Some hard
    earned recommendations for your path: If you choose theMSPress book be
    prepared. There is 1 of 2 authors returning. They are a lot more in
    depth. And the questions....whew..the questions almost made me cry at
    points. The chapter questions are a LOT harder than the MCDST MSPress
    books since many of them are now fill in the blank, and short essay
    style. Makes you think a lot harder. As a result, after getting used
    to the new style I appreciate how hard they are. I highly recommend
    that if you are going to take the XP client path, take it while all of
    the MCDST info is fresh in your head. I have not taken the test yet
    though but I am scheduled to take it this Friday afternoon.

    As a result of my practive tests that came with the book, I have
    almost read the entire XP Resource Kit Book on Technet. Also another
    great study aid(that is FREE) is the Service Pack 2 Functionality
    Changed found at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb491077.aspx

    Good luck. See you on the other side.

    DJ
    djpimpdaddy, Jul 18, 2007
  8. terry

    TJ Guest

    thanks for all that..I have used the ms press book to date as well.....I got used to this style so I think I will stay with the ms press books..are you referring to the 70-270 exam to take while my brain still functions? I have thought that that would be a good idea to do first since I am xp absorbed.....
    what authors are returning? the more detailed they are the better....

    --

    TJ, MCDST

    TJ, Jul 18, 2007
  9. terry

    djpimpdaddy Guest

    Walter Glenn and Tony Northrup are the two authors.

    Yes it is the 70-270. I am scheduled to take it tomorrow. My eyes hurt
    from reading so much, but I think I can now officially make XP my
    beoch. I am still having trouble with differentiating differing
    Authentication levels. The practice tests seem to have a question or
    two that ask about this. And they always word it hard, and sometimes
    throw curveballs about previous operating systems. I think the worst
    one I saw yet on the practice test asked about what authentication
    method should you use to allow Windows 98 users to access the VPN?
    What the hell does that have to do with configuring XP? Other than
    those, the practice tests are gueling but have taught me more than
    just reading the book alone.

    As for starting right after getting MCDST, I wish I had done it
    quicker. I am not going to spoil what is on the REAL test since I have
    not taken it yet, but in the MSPress practice test I kept getting the
    IE questions about Cookies, Privacy, and Security settings wrong since
    I already forgot them since studying for MCDST. I hate those damn
    "Slider Bar" questions wih a passion. But if they are still fresh in
    your head, AMEN.

    Good luck man. You won't be dissapointed. I'm not, but I guess
    tomorrow will tell! lol

    DJ
    djpimpdaddy, Jul 19, 2007
  10. terry

    dakota Guest

    Good luck on your exam.....
    Yea, those two chaps were in the other books I used as well. Aside from some
    obvious mistakes in the question at the end of some of the chapters, I found
    them, this is weird, enjoyable?....I think I will take the 70-270 first
    since I'm not totally fried yet...let me know how you exam went.....

    dakota, Jul 20, 2007
  11. terry

    djpimpdaddy Guest

    Painful exam! Hardest one yet. BUT... I passed with a 763 = )

    I think it was my fault though. I didn't do that many labs, mostly
    just read over the material. I am going to use Virtual PC to extreems
    on the 70-290 for sure after seeing that score.

    I did have one of those "testing panic" moments. After submitting the
    test at the end, it sat there on a blank screen for 2 solid minutes
    before telling me I passed.

    After the test, I spent the rest of the weekend drinking and playing
    GTA SA. Buying next book today....

    Dakota, I am glad I did get that test out of the way before the rest.
    Just make sure that you have access to a 2003 domain to mess with some
    of the deeper concepts of GPO and security. As one of 2 computer guys
    at my work, I kidna have free reign over the network as long as I
    don't break anything in the process.

    Let me know when ya take it.
    Drew
    djpimpdaddy, Jul 23, 2007
  12. terry

    TheITGirl Guest

    > Painful exam! Hardest one yet. BUT... I passed with a 763 = )
    >

    > I think it was my fault though. I didn't do that many labs, mostly
    > just read over the material. I am going to use Virtual PC to extreems
    > on the 70-290 for sure after seeing that score.
    >
    > I did have one of those "testing panic" moments. After submitting the
    > test at the end, it sat there on a blank screen for 2 solid minutes
    > before telling me I passed.
    >
    > After the test, I spent the rest of the weekend drinking and playing
    > GTA SA. Buying next book today....
    >
    > Dakota, I am glad I did get that test out of the way before the rest.
    > Just make sure that you have access to a 2003 domain to mess with some
    > of the deeper concepts of GPO and security. As one of 2 computer guys
    > at my work, I kidna have free reign over the network as long as I
    > don't break anything in the process.
    >
    > Let me know when ya take it.
    > Drew

    Well done djpimpdaddy!

    I am hoping to take this exam soon - perhaps in September. I keep reading
    and re-reading the books, but it seems that my brain has now reached
    saturation point!

    IT Girl MCDST
    TheITGirl, Jul 23, 2007
  13. terry

    TJ Guest

    well done.....I order the 70-270 book last week...I too will start with that
    one......painful uh?.....now I'm really scared...
    yea, I have access to a 2003 server domain as I am the main it guy
    here.....the 70-270 book is REALLY thick....
    I know what you mean by those panic attacks.... I had them when I didn't
    really understand some question on the last exam....
    how long did you study for? I mean in terms of days, weeks, months?

    TJ, Jul 23, 2007
  14. terry

    djpimpdaddy Guest

    I studied since Feb. Ironic side story, I was almost done with the
    book, about chapter 15, and I developed Gall stones. So after surgery,
    and a month of happy drugs I picked up the book again and finished it
    in about 2 weeks. I then spent a solid week after work doing tests and
    reading Technet into the night before the test.

    During my month off of work, I was on supposed to be on bed rest(which
    = PS2 and DQ8). But I made the decision not to study since I was on
    some pretty good pain meds. Kinda glad I did. I called it my vacation
    from my head.

    I do think I rushed near the end, but I needed to kick my butt back
    into the learning mood.

    Definitely read most of the Microsoft XP Resource Kit! It filled in a
    lot of blanks. You can buy it in book form or read it online for free
    from Technet. Another thing I did was take the PDF version of the book
    and spread it all over the place, like a network share, my home pcs,
    my work laptop, and even parts on my spiffy Treo cell phone. That way,
    no matter where I was in the world, if I had a few mintues free, I had
    a few minutes to read. Some days I would cover a chapter a day, but
    looking back, I did little practical labs and probably could have done
    better.

    Some chapters sucked a bit. Like, how many times could you auto
    install XP over and over again before you got it? I finally got a
    great answer file and floppy iso where I can "poop" out a copy of XP
    on Virtual PC in under 30 mintues if I needed one to mess with. I
    could never get RIS running too well on the network so I learned all
    that by memory. I loved all the time I spent with the performance
    console "watching" unsusspecting users on the wire. I decided to
    approach the CFO about memory upgrades based upon some findings...heh
    heh.

    The test itself took me almost 2 solid hours. Longest one yet. To make
    things worse, it was a full room at the testing center, and the air
    conditioning was kinda "flaky" so it was uncomfortable. On a humorus
    note, the guy behind me obviously failed some Cisco cert he attempted.
    After about 30 minutes we all heard him start cussing under his
    breath. Then after an hour, he slams down the mouse and punched the
    keyboard and stormed out. We all kinda quietly chuckled without
    looking up from our consoles. See, even in an uncomfortable situation,
    I can still find humor.

    Pimp
    djpimpdaddy, Jul 23, 2007
  15. terry

    Jamios Guest

    Hey,

    Where do we go to read about the topics that are not covered in the book or
    lightly covered? I looked on technet and msnd and found nothing.

    Thx

    Jamios, Jul 24, 2007
  16. terry

    TheITGirl Guest

    "Jamios" <> wrote in message
    > Hey,
    >

    > Where do we go to read about the topics that are not covered in the book
    > or
    > lightly covered? I looked on technet and msnd and found nothing.
    >
    > Thx

    Hello Jamios

    I'm afraid the only way is to either Google the topics you want to know more
    about or buy another book that emphasises different aspects of the course.

    IT Girl MCDST
    TheITGirl, Jul 24, 2007
  17. terry

    djpimpdaddy Guest