MCDST count twords MCSA 2000?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Andre, Jan 15, 2004.

  1. Andre

    Andre Guest

    How's it going. I happen to be browsing around the MCP
    site tonite since I just got the news that I passed the
    71-271. I was unable to make it to the 71-272 test so I
    will have to take it later. But I noticed that there's
    mention of the test counting as an elective to MCSA and
    it points to the 2000 exam.

    Quote:
    MCDST is accepted as an alternative to the elective exams
    for the MCSA credential. See MCSA on Windows Server 2000
    certification requirements for updates on additional
    elective alternatives.

    But I cannot for the life of me see any of the final "70-
    721 or 272" tests listed as an elective on either the
    2000 or 2003 track. While I plan on finishing up this
    test I was going to take care of my MCSA first since I
    only have 70-218 and one comptia test left (and I'm
    taking 70-218 tomorrow). Heck, if I could get some proof
    that the MCDST would replace the Comptia elective I would
    take it this weekend! Plus it would save me from
    the "what is the least likely", "what may not
    cause", "what probley isn't" questions found on the
    Comptia server and network tests (not to mention about a
    100 extra bucks).

    Thanks for reading.
    Andre, Jan 15, 2004

  2. Andre

    Shelby Meyer Guest

    How was the test? I was thinking about taking it to get an additional cert.

    --
    Shelby Meyer
    Meyer Computer Consulting

    Shelby Meyer, Jan 15, 2004

  3. Andre

    Guest Guest

    Well it's been a couple months since taking it so I'm
    about over the shock (jk).
    I thought it was good. I used the study material for 70-
    270 (Windows XP) and didn't have much of a problem. I
    would really like to know what my score was but I hear
    that they will mail that out to everyone. Being a beta it
    was long, my brain tends to start turning into mush after
    50 questions or so on any test, I'm sure the final will
    be a cakewalk for anyone that has taken care of support
    issues for desktop users. Though I did find a few
    questions that were more for admins (glad I had 210 and
    215 under my belt). But a co-worker took it also and
    passed and he had no server experience. I would say that
    if you can take any practice exams on 270 without much
    problem then you won't find anything in this test to
    scare you away.

    Guest, Jan 15, 2004
  4. Andre

    xakeP Guest

    Yes, MCDST cert counts as mcsa elective for mcsa 2000 and
    2003. They updated that on the mcsa 2003 page
    requirements, but not on the 2000 requriments.

    I am waiting to hear of my pass in 272 also, becasue then
    i become mcsa since i already have 270,215,and 218.

    xakeP, Jan 15, 2004
  5. The exams (271 and 272) alone do not count as an elective for MCSA, the
    MCDST credential does. So, if you pass 272 and achieve your MCDST
    certification, the certification can be your elective.

    Hope that clears it up for you.

    --
    Andy Ruth
    Microsoft Learning

    rights.

    Andy Ruth [MS], Jan 15, 2004
  6. Andre

    Guest Guest

    It sure does! Thanks to everyone that replied. Looks like
    I'll be taking this on Monday to finsh up everything
    needed for MCSA. I'll still study the Network+ stuff for
    Comptia's test, but I doubt that I'll be taking any time
    soon. I mean come on, 200 bucks for a test, that's
    outragious. I'd rather spend that cash on the 70-216 (I
    may have to take that one twice anyway before I get it
    right, from what I hear about it).

    confers no

    Guest, Jan 15, 2004
  7. Andre

    Guest Guest

    Hmm, it seems that I will not be taking the test this
    Monday. I just went to register for it (I was actually
    going to shoot for an opening tomorrow) but it's not
    listed on VUE's site, just the 271 is there. Oh well, I
    shouldn't jump into this thing to quick anyway. I've
    waited this long for a cert other then MCP another month
    won't kill me (I hope).
    Guest, Jan 15, 2004
  8. LOL
    Patience, Grasshopper.
    272 is not expected to go live until early February.
    The pass/fail standard hasn't even been set yet.

    Associate Expert
    Unofficial FAQ for Windows Server 2003 at

    Larry Samuels, Jan 15, 2004