    equivalent to the MCDST?

    thank you,

    Steve Davis
    Steve Davis, Nov 20, 2008

  2. Steve Davis

    Pete Jones Guest

    Generally, if it isn't on the list, it won't count.
    --
    Pete Jones
    MCSE:Security, MCSE:Messaging

    Pete Jones, Nov 20, 2008

  3. Steve Davis

    Montreal_MCT Guest

    I do not think it counts, but MCDST is pretty easy if you know your XP.
    Alternately if you want to spend some time (VERY little) learning Small
    Business Server, 70-282 is an easy one too.

    Mitch Garvis
    Microsoft MVP: Essential Server Solutions
    http://garvis.ca/blogs

    Montreal_MCT, Nov 20, 2008
  4. Steve Davis

    Steve Davis Guest

    70-282 was my first Microsoft exam I took. It was pretty easy.
    Unfortunately, I changed my mind in regards to my track. I originally was
    going just for the MCSE (which 70-282 is an elective), now I'm going for the
    MCSA, then the upgrade to MCITP Enterprise Administrator. 70-282 isn't an
    elective for the MCSA unfortunately.

    Steve Davis

    Steve Davis, Nov 20, 2008
  5. Steve Davis

    Steve Davis Guest

    That brings about a question, why wouldn't the 70-282 be considered an
    elective for MCSA. It seems the skills validated by that exam would be good
    tools for a Systems Administrator as well as a Systems Engineer.

    Steve Davis

    Steve Davis, Nov 20, 2008
  6. Steve Davis

    Montreal_MCT Guest

    Hmm... are you sure? I think it used to be!

    Montreal_MCT, Nov 21, 2008
  7. Steve Davis

    Steve Davis Guest

    Well that would be awesome if it was still. How could I go about finding
    out? On Microsoft's site, it's listed as an elective under MCSE but not
    MCSA...

    Steve Davis, Nov 21, 2008
  8. Steve Davis

    Montreal_MCT Guest

    ....then it's not :)

    Montreal_MCT, Nov 22, 2008
  9. Steve Davis

    IT TECHIE Guest

    Steve wrote that since you can use your MCDST as an elective to MCSA can you
    use your MCITP? THe answer is you need your MCDST to get your MCITP so
    therefore it's a bundled elective if you have your MCITP then yes it can
    because you have your MCDST as well.

    THank YOu

    IT TECHIE, Dec 3, 2008
  10. Steve Davis

    Steve Davis Guest

    That statement is partially correct. You can upgrade your MCDST to MCITP:
    Enterprise Technician with one exam. You also can achieve the MCITP
    certification by taking two exams, 70-620 and 70-622. Having your MCDST is
    not a requirement.

    Steve Davis

    Steve Davis, Dec 3, 2008
  11. "Steve Davis" <> wrote in message
    > That statement is partially correct. You can upgrade your MCDST to MCITP:
    > Enterprise Technician with one exam. You also can achieve the MCITP
    > certification by taking two exams, 70-620 and 70-622. Having your MCDST is
    > not a requirement.

    However, on the other hand, having earned the MCITP directly, one has
    completed the 70-620, which is an MCSA elective. :)

    Ergo, it's essentially a true statement that the MCITP: ET will fulfill the
    necessary requirements for the MCSA elective (provided that the candidate
    also completes the 70-270 to meet their desktop requirements).

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com
    Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\), Dec 3, 2008
  12. Steve Davis

    Montreal_MCT Guest

    Actually one need not write 70-620 to get the MCITP: EST. You can take the
    70-621, an upgrade exam from MCDST. :)

    Montreal_MCT, Dec 3, 2008
  13. "Montreal_MCT" <> wrote in message
    > Actually one need not write 70-620 to get the MCITP: EST. You can take
    > the 70-621, an upgrade exam from MCDST. :)

    Which brings us full circle... :)

    The original question was whether the MCITP:EST could be used as an MCSA
    elective since the MCDST could.

    "IT Techie" replied that since you need the MCDST to get the MCITP:EST (a
    partially incorrect assumption), then yes you could use the MCITP:EST as the
    elective (which was based on the presumption that one had the MCDST and had
    taken the -621 to upgrade to the MCITP:EST).

    Steve then replied back, noting the partially correct assumption concerning
    the acquisition of the MCITP:EST by upgrade, and pointed out that one could
    also have obtained the MCITP:EST by taking the two core exams (70-620 and
    70-622), which would not then contain the MCDST, and ostensibly not qualify
    as an elective.

    To which I pointed out, the MCITP:EST, then containing the 70-620, still
    counted, as the 70-620 is an elective for the MCSA.

    So, to consolidate all of the points:

    The MCDST is an eligible elective for the MCSA -- by direct allocation.

    The MCITP:EST is functionally an elective for the MCSA, by one of two means:
    [a] The MCITP:EST was upgraded from MCDST, and thus qualifies by virtue
    of the MCDST being earned,or
    The MCITP:EST was earned directly, and thus qualifies by virtue of
    having passed the 70-620 =provided= that the candidate has completed the
    70-270 (Windows XP) as the desktop requirement.

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com
    Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\), Dec 3, 2008
  14. Steve Davis

    Montreal_MCT Guest

    Right you are :) I hadn't thought of it that way :) -M

    Montreal_MCT, Dec 4, 2008
  15. Steve Davis

    Steve Davis Guest

    You are correct. I was trying to see if I could circumvent an additional
    test. I have completed the 70-620 and if I could have used MCITP: ET for the
    elective, I could knocked out both the MCITP and the elective for MCSA with
    the 70-622. But since that's not the case...I'll need to take 70-270.

    Steve Davis

    Steve Davis, Dec 4, 2008
  16. "Steve Davis" <> wrote in message

    > I have completed the 70-620 and if I could have used MCITP: ET for the
    > elective, I could knocked out both the MCITP and the elective for MCSA
    > with the 70-622. But since that's not the case...I'll need to take 70-270.

    Or another elective, using the 70-620 as the desktop requirement.

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com
    Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\), Dec 4, 2008