    tell me what would be the best method to go about to prepare myself for these
    exams.i heard the exams are very hard.I have very little hands on.I want to
    thank those in advance for replying THANK YOU.
    AL P., Nov 12, 2006

  2. Al, the best method is hands on. I would suggest that you look into the
    A+ and Network+ certifications first and foremost. This will help a lot
    with the MCDST exams. It will provide you with a solid foundation of
    concepts, theories, and best practices. Advice that I would share with
    you is:

    Take it slow. Your goals are obtainable, but will be difficult for
    someone starting out new. The material is tough. The exams are tough.
    But your goals are obtainable. You have to work hard. Study the
    prescribed material provided by Microsoft to successfully negotiate
    these tests. They can be found at http://www.microsoft.com/learning.
    Experience (good and bad) is key. Try to get as much hands on experience
    as you can. If you can, set up a Windows network in your house.

    As far as printed material goes, I would use Microsoft Press books. They
    are very good, written by experienced technical authors.

    I will also warn you about the monetary costs in achieving your goals.
    It can be considerable. Each exam is $125 (not to mention the 3 exams I
    mentioned above). For the MSDST, the cost is $250 alone. For the MCSE,
    it would equal $750. So for just the tests, you are looking at a total
    of $1000 to take all the tests. Now with that said, I have not even nor
    will I go into study material, practice tests, your time, etc.

    I am not telling you this to talk you out of anything. But it is
    information that you need to know.

    Tell us a little more about yourself and let me see what I can come up
    with for you. I have been a technical instructor for 7 years. Give me a
    little background about yourself, and let me see if I can come up with a
    technical track for you. Good Luck!

    --
    Michael D. Alligood,
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

    Michael D. Alligood, Nov 12, 2006

  3. AL P.

    AL P. Guest

    Mr.Alligood

    first of all thank you.i am sorry i left out that I went and got A+ and
    Network+ certified and i feel that the school didnt really show me anything.
    they gave us some questions and answer and told us that this would help us
    pass the test but later on I find out that it hurted me in the long run and i
    dont want to make that mistake again.i thought about going to college and
    cutting out these trade schools i really like computers and i really want a
    carreer in them but i was guided the wrong way and im lost in the IT track.I
    want to retake a few class in A+ and N+ because i was cheated out but i know
    what to do.

    AL P., Nov 12, 2006
  4. When you say Mr. Alligood, I turn and look for my grandfather. Michael,
    please. :)

    With concerns to your A+ and Network+ certifications, if you passed
    them; move on. Understand experience will give you the confidence you
    need. Do not misunderstand me, always continue to learn. Never stop
    learning. But do not cram. Start by reviewing the material / objectives
    you feel uncomfortable with. View the A+ objectives at
    http://certification.comptia.org/resources/objectives.aspx. The Network+
    objective can also be found there.

    Do you have any hands on experience? Do you have the opportunity to seek
    employment at a local computer shop? You mentioned thinking of going to
    college. I did my first internship at my local college working as a
    desktop support technician. You might want to get to know the IT
    department at your local community college.

    Lets focus on these items:

    1.) Review the objectives you feel uncomfortable with concerning your A+
    and Network+ education. Provide me with the list of areas you feel that
    you lack in.

    2.) Work on getting some hands on experience. Let me know what you are
    doing to accomplish this, and what previous experience (if any) you have
    professionally.

    --
    Michael D. Alligood,
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

    Michael D. Alligood, Nov 12, 2006
  5. AL P.

    AL P. Guest

    Michael
    I did passed my A+ and N+ exams. The experience that I
    have are basically with family and friends (build a few computers, installed
    windows xp a few times) I went and bought a few books on MCDST (ms press &
    exam cram) and MCSE (sybex) but when I read them I seem not to retain the
    information or get lost reading them. I was thinking of going to college to
    attend some classes because the I feel that the trade schools (IT schools)
    just want you to pass the exam and dont teach anything

    AL P., Nov 12, 2006
  6. With regards to the trade schools, this is more than likely the case. Do
    not attempt to study for your MCSE certification right not. Concentrate
    on your MCDST. Do not try to do it all. The MCSE is a long, tough road.
    Lets concentrate on your MCDST first. Take a look at the 70-271 book.
    Look in the table of content. Write down objectives and chapters that
    you feel uncomfortable with. Let me get a feel for what your strengths
    and weaknesses are.

    As far as a college education, I would advise you to visit your local
    college and sit with a counselor. I would also as to speak with, or set
    a meeting with the department head of Information Technology. Talk to
    students on campus and see their opinion of the classes and instructors.
    Ask the counselor to audit (sit in) on a specific IT class of your
    choice for a day.

    There are plenty of avenues you can try.

    --
    Michael D. Alligood,
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

    Michael D. Alligood, Nov 12, 2006
  7. AL P.

    AL P. Guest

    Thank you so very much....... you are a very nice and seen honest and very
    helpful I want to tell you that I really appreciate your help......... I’m
    going to start reading the MS press book on MCDST and start studying it. Can
    these exams be REALLY done on your own or do you need to attend a school. I
    mean can someone REALLY just pick up a book read it and go take the test and
    PASS

    AL P., Nov 12, 2006
  8. The answer is yes. But it all depends on you. Some people need to feed
    off of others (as in a classroom environment), others are self
    contained. You are not alone if you choose to do the self study track.
    These newsgroups were designed to provide you with answers to your
    questions. Remember you will never know it all, 80% of all technicians
    use Google anyway! We cannot remember everything.

    I would still recommend that you have access to some hands on labs.
    Visit http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcdst/default.mspx to view
    the objectives for the MCDST track. Microsoft exams are long and tough.
    They tend to be wordy. When there are many ways to skin an animal. So
    learn how Microsoft wants you to troubleshoot. Also use
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet for free whitepapers and articles. You
    can search for a specific area of interest that you are reading about in
    your books. Say that you are learning about " Configuring and
    Troubleshooting the Desktop and User Environments" in your Microsoft
    Press book. Go to TechNet and search for " Configuring and
    Troubleshooting the Desktop and User Environments" and read what
    Microsoft has to say. It is free and accurate.

    As always you have this newsgroup and me to answer any question you may
    have. We are here to help. Good luck!

    --
    Michael D. Alligood,
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,