    that I may never use.

    Any advice appreciated. Thanks,
    Ryan

    Ryan Langton, Mar 20, 2006

  2. "Ryan Langton" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm looking into getting some type of DBA certification for SQL Server.
    > Should I take the MCDBA exam track for SQL Server 2000, or look more into
    > newer certifications such as the MCTS: SQL Server 2005?
    >
    > My office currently uses SQL Server 2000 for all our database needs. We
    > have over 10 applications that use the SQL Server, including Project
    > Server
    > 2003 and WSS. We've tried SQL Server 2005 for numerous apps. and have
    > failed to get anything to work right with it. It seems like a pretty
    > drastic change from SQL Server 2000.

    Is this related to connecting to the database?
    SQL 2005 is secure by default, so you must run a utility to configure
    security before trying this. Most other things should run without
    problems...
    Have you taken your SQL 2005 problems to forums.microsoft.com?

    > I don't want to invest a lot of time
    > getting certified in technology on it's way out, on the other hand I don't
    > want to get certified in technology that may never get off the ground or
    > that I may never use.

    Take the 2005 certification, SQL 2005 is a revolution! (even if SQL 2000 SP4
    fixes a lot of pain)

    Gorm Braarvig, Mar 20, 2006

  3. Ryan Langton

    Ryan Langton Guest

    "Gorm Braarvig" <> wrote in message

    > "Ryan Langton" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm looking into getting some type of DBA certification for SQL Server.
    >> Should I take the MCDBA exam track for SQL Server 2000, or look more into
    >> newer certifications such as the MCTS: SQL Server 2005?
    >>
    >> My office currently uses SQL Server 2000 for all our database needs. We
    >> have over 10 applications that use the SQL Server, including Project
    >> Server
    >> 2003 and WSS. We've tried SQL Server 2005 for numerous apps. and have
    >> failed to get anything to work right with it. It seems like a pretty
    >> drastic change from SQL Server 2000.

    > Is this related to connecting to the database?
    > SQL 2005 is secure by default, so you must run a utility to configure
    > security before trying this. Most other things should run without
    > problems...
    > Have you taken your SQL 2005 problems to forums.microsoft.com?

    No I haven't. We've only been "demo'ing" SQL 2005 I guess so I didn't take
    the problems too seriously. I'm sure we'll have better luck after I learn a
    bit more about SQL 2005.

    >> I don't want to invest a lot of time
    >> getting certified in technology on it's way out, on the other hand I
    >> don't
    >> want to get certified in technology that may never get off the ground or
    >> that I may never use.

    > Take the 2005 certification, SQL 2005 is a revolution! (even if SQL 2000
    > SP4 fixes a lot of pain)

    Thanks! I will likely end up going for the SQL 2005 certs.

    Ryan Langton, Mar 20, 2006