    Anyone wish to give some comparisons or reference to any comparison's done
    of the two products Security Suites? They seem to both do just about
    everything from the marketing overviews.

    Al Franz, Oct 3, 2003

  2. In article <E1mfb.398665$>,
    says...
    > Anyone wish to give some comparisons or reference to any comparison's done
    > of the two products Security Suites? They seem to both do just about
    > everything from the marketing overviews.

    "marketing", there's your answer.

    Neither is worth the money, in my opinion.

    I'd rather roll-my-own with a combo of F-Secure Antivirus, Tiny Personal
    Firewall, trojan cleaners, spyware detectors, etc.

    --
    Colonel Flagg
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/

    Privacy at a click:
    http://www.cotse.net

    A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

    "...I see stupid people."

    Colonel Flagg, Oct 4, 2003

  3. Al Franz

    Miles Guest

    Al Franz wrote:
    > Anyone wish to give some comparisons or reference to any comparison's done
    > of the two products Security Suites? They seem to both do just about
    > everything from the marketing overviews.

    I have been using Norton Antivirus (included in Norton SystemWorks) for
    several years and, knock on wood, have never had a virus!!!!

    Miles

    Miles, Oct 4, 2003
  4. Al Franz

    ELE OLO Guest

    Hi,

    Both Products are very good, except when it comes down to total cost
    of ownership.

    Both products will cost a lot for technical support, especially for
    Symantec, unless you find a knowledgeable and certified 3rd party
    security company willing and able to support your needs for the long
    haul 24/7/365 at a much cheaper price.

    It is not just merely how good these products are out of the box, it
    is also how well you can actually use them day to day that really
    counts !

    The people that go through proper training for supporting these types
    of products well have to spend thousands if not tens of thousands of
    dollars and hours figuring out the details of these products. So
    having these kinds of
    people working for you to fine-tune these products [at a reasonable
    price] is essential.

    Dean

    ELE OLO, Oct 4, 2003
  5. Al Franz

    Randell D. Guest

    "Al Franz" <> wrote in message
    > Anyone wish to give some comparisons or reference to any comparison's done
    > of the two products Security Suites? They seem to both do just about
    > everything from the marketing overviews.

    I've used Norton for a number of years and have alot of faith in them - I
    had put Norton on another mates PC but he didn't like the control
    panel/management side of things and invested in his own copy of McAfee
    which he finds easier to use. Even though it is sometime since I got
    anywhere near a McAfee AV program, whenever I last did I didn't find it as
    userfriendly...

    So... if my mate and I were average users then I would think that both
    products are the same - both have kept us free from foe but we each have
    different preference on the eye candy that one uses to control settings. I
    have to admit one thing that might help - My mate likes toys on his machine
    so its possible that the McAfee (which I've not seen on his machine) has
    some some extra's that one doesn't find in Norton.

    Does that help any?

    Randell D., Oct 5, 2003
  6. Al Franz

    Linuxer Guest

    My 2 cents....

    Norton has an awkward user interface and poor documentation, but
    it works.

    McAfee: I have used it in the past, and on every single occasion, I
    had to remove it. McAfee products tend to break the entire system.
    Mail stops working, Shutdown stops working... and so on. My
    experience with McAfee is that it makes any known virus look like
    your best buddy. This is probably why the license agreement with
    McAfee products reads like a nightmare from hell. I will never
    use any McAfee product for anything beyond a door stop, ever
    again in my lifetime !

    Just my opinion,
    Capps

    Linuxer, Oct 5, 2003