mcafee virus scan not updating

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by s@mailinator.com, Apr 28, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I have Win 2k Pro with SP4 and was using Mcafee 4.5.1. I uninstalled
    Mcafee 4.5.1 and tried to use the newer version Mcafee Enterprise 7.0
    but it(Mcafee 7.0) cannot update its definitions. It was installed
    properly. I saw the autoupdate repository list and the links for
    updating using http and FTP were correct(I checked with another machine
    running Win2k Pro with SP4 which had the same links and was
    autoupdating properly.)

    I tried it on another machine(removed Mcafee 4.5.1 and installed Mcafee
    7.0) and it updated correctly.

    The only difference between the correctly updating machine is it is a
    1.4GHz with 256M RAM and the not updating is 400MHz and 128M. Could
    that be a reason?

    Googling lead me to this thread but that could not help me.

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?P54412AFA

    I also tried using Mcafee 8.0 Beta and that got installed successfully
    on both but only the more powerful machine could update its
    definitions.

    Is my machine having a strange virus? I ran
    Adaware,CWSShredder,Hijackthis,Spybot Search and Destroy,Adaware,
    looked at the startup list of the registry on the machine which was not
    updating but found nothing suspicious.

    I would appreciate any help.

    , Apr 28, 2005

  2. x@y Guest

    Hello s@,

    I do not use McAfee, but I found a discussion Group for You,

    try here: http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/index.php

    Good Luck x@y.

    x@y, Apr 28, 2005

  3. x@y Guest

    <> wrote in message

    >I have Win 2k Pro with SP4 and was using Mcafee 4.5.1. I uninstalled
    > Mcafee 4.5.1 and tried to use the newer version Mcafee Enterprise 7.0
    > but it(Mcafee 7.0) cannot update its definitions. It was installed
    > properly. I saw the autoupdate repository list and the links for
    > updating using http and FTP were correct(I checked with another machine
    > running Win2k Pro with SP4 which had the same links and was
    > autoupdating properly.)

    <snip>

    Here is another McAfee user with different problem, and advice.

    > "Killian" <> wrote in message

    >> After 2 years of Norton Antivirus in my Windows XP home I recently
    >> installed McAfee virusscan from a cd-rom. From the day I installed it
    >> I noticed that when sending 1 email the McAfee window shows that it is
    >> testing and sending 2 emails double the size of the actual single
    >> email. (When sending 2 emails at the same time it would show 4). My
    >> OE correctly indicates that only 1 has been sent.
    >> After several telephone and email contacts with McAfee tech. support
    >> they tell me that OE must be the problem and not McAfee.
    >> Can anyone throw any light on this problem please?

    Here is one Reply

    Turn off e-mail scanning. If that doesn't fix it, do the same thing you
    did with Norton and get AVG Free Anti-Virus.

    x@y, Apr 28, 2005
  4. Guest

    Hi x@,

    Thanks for the reply and link. I could not find much help there as
    people who had similar problems in the forum either had no replies or
    there was a reply which could not help me solve the problem. All I
    found was this was happening due to some incorrect registry settings.
    Also as Enterprise edition is not supported on those forums I guess I
    am on my own.

    But your help is highly appreciated.

    , Apr 29, 2005