    Any suggestions or is it get my money back time?

    Cheers

    , Oct 16, 2006

  2. Evan Platt Guest

    On 16 Oct 2006 11:21:10 -0700, wrote:

    >I've just purchased Mcafee Security Centre. My PC has virtually ground
    >to a halt. I spent an hour in chat with them and they tweaked a few
    >things in Internet Explorer but it just far to slow. Some sites eg BBC
    >are loading reasonably quickly but others, well I give up after 5
    >minutes waiting.
    >
    >It took 50 minutes to download 42 emails totalling less than 4 mb.
    >
    >Any suggestions or is it get my money back time?

    Get your money back.

    McAffee is bloatware.

    What O/S are you using? There are many free alternatives.

    Evan Platt, Oct 16, 2006

  3. Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:
    > On 16 Oct 2006 11:21:10 -0700, wrote:
    >
    > >I've just purchased Mcafee Security Centre. My PC has virtually ground
    > >to a halt. I spent an hour in chat with them and they tweaked a few
    > >things in Internet Explorer but it just far to slow. Some sites eg BBC
    > >are loading reasonably quickly but others, well I give up after 5
    > >minutes waiting.
    > >
    > >It took 50 minutes to download 42 emails totalling less than 4 mb.
    > >
    > >Any suggestions or is it get my money back time?

    > Get your money back.
    >
    > McAffee is bloatware.
    >
    > What O/S are you using? There are many free alternatives.

    Humm - XP Pro, DSL G604T wireless modem. The thing is I've got my own
    business and need something 'professional'

    , Oct 16, 2006
  4. Guest

  5. joevan Guest

    On 16 Oct 2006 11:44:50 -0700, wrote:

    >Evan Platt wrote:
    >> On 16 Oct 2006 11:21:10 -0700, wrote:
    >>
    >> >I've just purchased Mcafee Security Centre. My PC has virtually ground
    >> >to a halt. I spent an hour in chat with them and they tweaked a few
    >> >things in Internet Explorer but it just far to slow. Some sites eg BBC
    >> >are loading reasonably quickly but others, well I give up after 5
    >> >minutes waiting.
    >> >
    >> >It took 50 minutes to download 42 emails totalling less than 4 mb.
    >> >
    >> >Any suggestions or is it get my money back time?

    >> Get your money back.
    >>
    >> McAffee is bloatware.
    >>
    >> What O/S are you using? There are many free alternatives.

    >Humm - XP Pro, DSL G604T wireless modem. The thing is I've got my own
    >business and need something 'professional'

    Then go get Kaspersky. Nothing is better.

    joevan, Oct 16, 2006
  6. Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 11:21:10 -0700, turboaceman Has Frothed:

    > I've just purchased Mcafee Security Centre. My PC has virtually ground to
    > a halt. I spent an hour in chat with them and they tweaked a few things
    > in Internet Explorer but it just far to slow. Some sites eg BBC are
    > waiting.
    >
    > It took 50 minutes to download 42 emails totalling less than 4 mb.
    >
    > Any suggestions or is it get my money back time?

    Request a refund.

    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Oct 16, 2006
  7. Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 11:44:40 -0700, turboaceman Has Frothed:

    > Evan Platt wrote:
    >> On 16 Oct 2006 11:21:10 -0700, wrote:
    >>
    >> >I've just purchased Mcafee Security Centre. My PC has virtually ground
    >> >to a halt. I spent an hour in chat with them and they tweaked a few
    >> >things in Internet Explorer but it just far to slow. Some sites eg BBC
    >> >are loading reasonably quickly but others, well I give up after 5
    >> >minutes waiting.
    >> >
    >> >It took 50 minutes to download 42 emails totalling less than 4 mb.
    >> >
    >> >Any suggestions or is it get my money back time?

    >> Get your money back.
    >>
    >> McAffee is bloatware.
    >>
    >> What O/S are you using? There are many free alternatives.

    > Humm - XP Pro, DSL G604T wireless modem. The thing is I've got my own
    > business and need something 'professional'

    Avira and Ewido.

    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Oct 16, 2006
  8. philo Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I've just purchased Mcafee Security Centre. My PC has virtually ground
    > to a halt. I spent an hour in chat with them and they tweaked a few
    > things in Internet Explorer but it just far to slow. Some sites eg BBC
    > are loading reasonably quickly but others, well I give up after 5
    > minutes waiting.
    >
    > It took 50 minutes to download 42 emails totalling less than 4 mb.
    >
    > Any suggestions or is it get my money back time?

    McAfee is definately one of the worst resource hogs I've ever seen...
    I maintain a few machines at an internet cafe ...they came pre-setup with
    McAfee
    several years ago.
    The machines are P-III's...but ther run like P-1's

    philo, Oct 16, 2006
  9. Shannon Guest

    turboaceman wrote:
    >> Evan Platt wrote:

    >>> Get your money back.
    >>>
    >>> McAffee is bloatware.
    >>>
    >>> What O/S are you using? There are many free alternatives.

    >> Humm - XP Pro, DSL G604T wireless modem. The thing is I've got my
    >> own business and need something 'professional'

    Firstly, get a refund. Secondly, install NOD32 and CounterSpy.

    Both offer free trials.

    http://www.sunbelt-software.com/CounterSpy.cfm
    http://www.eset.com/download/index.php

    Lastly, secure your wireless network using either WPA or WPA2, not WEP.

    Better still, don't use wireless at all.

    Shannon, Oct 16, 2006
  10. enlightened us
    24hoursupport.helpdesk-(ab)users with:

    > I've just purchased Mcafee Security Centre. My PC has virtually
    > ground
    > to a halt. I spent an hour in chat with them and they tweaked a few
    > things in Internet Explorer but it just far to slow. Some sites eg
    > BBC
    > are loading reasonably quickly but others, well I give up after 5
    > minutes waiting.
    >
    > It took 50 minutes to download 42 emails totalling less than 4 mb.
    >
    > Any suggestions or is it get my money back time?

    Looks alike. You didn't say anything about the specs of your pc,
    though - how much horsepower (MHz), how much braincells (RAM),
    speed/cachesize of your harddrive(s) ....
    Besides all that, a virus scanner is a virus scanner - it should do the
    job it's designed for, and not aim to be a "firewall" or spamfilter or
    a set of application proxies. Everything half done ....
    So, stay with a dedicated virus scanner - Kaspersky is fine, but do not
    buy their new "internet security suite". Instead, buy a NAT router and
    attach it between your cable modem and the pc(s). You get such routers
    for about $40,- maybe even with wlan for a few $ more.
    Once again, a "personal firewall" is as easy to bypass as IEs "security
    settings", and it gives nothing more but a false feeling of security.
    Well, I see you got a "wireless modem" - is that one a cable/dsl modem
    with wlan (that would also be a router) or is it a wifi modem with just
    one ethernet lan port (then you should attach a router)?

    Walter Mautner, Oct 17, 2006
  11. Guest

    Walter Mautner wrote:

    > enlightened us
    > 24hoursupport.helpdesk-(ab)users with:
    >
    > > I've just purchased Mcafee Security Centre. My PC has virtually
    > > ground
    > > to a halt. I spent an hour in chat with them and they tweaked a few
    > > things in Internet Explorer but it just far to slow. Some sites eg
    > > BBC
    > > are loading reasonably quickly but others, well I give up after 5
    > > minutes waiting.
    > >
    > > It took 50 minutes to download 42 emails totalling less than 4 mb.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions or is it get my money back time?
    > >

    > Looks alike. You didn't say anything about the specs of your pc,
    > though - how much horsepower (MHz), how much braincells (RAM),
    > speed/cachesize of your harddrive(s) ....
    > Besides all that, a virus scanner is a virus scanner - it should do the
    > job it's designed for, and not aim to be a "firewall" or spamfilter or
    > a set of application proxies. Everything half done ....
    > So, stay with a dedicated virus scanner - Kaspersky is fine, but do not
    > buy their new "internet security suite". Instead, buy a NAT router and
    > attach it between your cable modem and the pc(s). You get such routers
    > for about $40,- maybe even with wlan for a few $ more.
    > Once again, a "personal firewall" is as easy to bypass as IEs "security
    > settings", and it gives nothing more but a false feeling of security.
    > Well, I see you got a "wireless modem" - is that one a cable/dsl modem
    > with wlan (that would also be a router) or is it a wifi modem with just
    > one ethernet lan port (then you should attach a router)?
    > --
    > vista policy violation: Microsoft optical mouse found penguin patterns
    > on mousepad. Partition scan in progress to remove offending
    > incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
    > Linux 2.6.17-mm1,Xorg7.1/nvidia [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Thanks for this

    Its 1.9ghz, 750 mb RAM, currently using cable to connect to single port
    on D-Link G604-T Although I would like to be able to connect via
    wireless too.

    What's a NAT router?

    Please correct me I'm wrong but I think this is a possible solution

    1. Get rid of Mcafee Security Centre
    2. Install a virus scanner (could be Mcafee as I've already got the
    option on it - see later)
    3. Personal Firewalls are not required as I'm sitting behind the
    G604-T. This contains a hard firewall which is impenetrable??
    4.Set the G604 to WPA or WPA2 security

    Several people have mentioned free virus software - are they as
    effective as the paid for stuff?

    , Oct 17, 2006
  12. Guest

  13. Mara Guest

    On 17 Oct 2006 01:04:24 -0700, wrote:

    <snip>
    >Thanks for this
    >
    >Its 1.9ghz, 750 mb RAM, currently using cable to connect to single port
    >on D-Link G604-T Although I would like to be able to connect via
    >wireless too.
    >
    >What's a NAT router?

    Network Address Translation. Basic explanation - it means that your computers
    are setting on an IP address, and the router presents a different one to the
    outside world.

    >Please correct me I'm wrong but I think this is a possible solution
    >

    >1. Get rid of Mcafee Security Centre

    Yes.

    >2. Install a virus scanner (could be Mcafee as I've already got the
    >option on it - see later)

    Don't use McAfee.

    >3. Personal Firewalls are not required as I'm sitting behind the
    >G604-T. This contains a hard firewall which is impenetrable??

    There is no such thing as impenetrable.

    http://www.sometips.com/tips/security/191.htm

    >4.Set the G604 to WPA or WPA2 security

    That will help.

    >Several people have mentioned free virus software - are they as
    >effective as the paid for stuff?

    IME, no.

    --
    He who establishes his argument by noise and command shows
    that his reason is weak. --Michel de Montaigne

    Mara, Oct 17, 2006
  14. enlightened us
    24hoursupport.helpdesk-(ab)users with:

    > Walter Mautner wrote:

    > Thanks for this
    >
    > Its 1.9ghz, 750 mb RAM, currently using cable to connect to single
    > port
    > on D-Link G604-T Although I would like to be able to connect via
    > wireless too.

    That "horsepower" and amount of ram should almost fly with xp (not too
    much autostart programs, bloatware and GUI gimmicks).
    I think you should try a livecd to see the difference: though livecds
    are slow by nature (reading from cd takes longer then from a
    harddrive), you will enjoy it.
    Then trash the McBloat :)

    > What's a NAT router?

    As already told, "network address translation", often also
    named "masquerading". You have one official routable IP address from
    your modem, and one or more "private range" non-routable addresses of
    the range 192.168.x.y (other private ranges are rarely set up as
    default on SOHO routers). Which means, noone from the internet side can
    directly address or portscan your pc(s).
    If you want to setup a server, you will have to forward the proper ports
    to your server, which can be done by setting up the router through its
    web interface.

    > Please correct me I'm wrong but I think this is a possible solution
    >
    > 1. Get rid of Mcafee Security Centre
    > 2. Install a virus scanner (could be Mcafee as I've already got the
    > option on it - see later)

    I am uncertain if you can get one thing without the other - you may try
    it, but do not expect miracles. However, sometimes the slow boot is
    merely caused by "personal firewalls" blocking essential windows
    communication or dhcp address renewals during bootup.

    > 3. Personal Firewalls are not required as I'm sitting behind the
    > G604-T. This contains a hard firewall which is impenetrable??

    A packet-forwarding firewall can only protect you from direct attacks
    from the outside. It cannot identify or block a program you
    (deliberately or not) chose to execute, after you downloaded it from
    suspicious sources or received it via e-mail.
    But then, even if personal firewall software tries to convince you it
    can block such programs at least when they call out, it won't catch the
    real threats.

    > 4.Set the G604 to WPA or WPA2 security

    Yes, no doubt, that's a good thing. You should first be sure your
    wireless pc interface can do wpa as well.

    > Several people have mentioned free virus software - are they as
    > effective as the paid for stuff?

    As I already told, you get a commercial grade kaspersky version, without
    the pfw bloat, at the site www.activevirusshield.com, with a key valid
    for one year. And in addition, free anti-spyware that does a better job
    of blocking trojans, adware and bad sites. Google for "adware personal"
    or "spybot search & destroy".

    Walter Mautner, Oct 17, 2006