McAfee Spamkiller

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Atlas Shrugged, Apr 19, 2005.

  1. Anyone familiar with Spamkiller? I had a problem that I solved by myself
    after talking with their online support personnel. They are usually very
    helpful with problems. Their solutions usually come down to deleting the
    user/email account and setting it up again, or uninstalling Spamkiller and
    then reinstalling Spamkiller. It has worked several times for me. This
    time, their solution didn't work. After deleting all of the user and email
    accounts except the main one, my Outlook Express (v6.0 with WinXPSp2) still
    would not connect to the Spamkiller server. The only one Spamkiller still
    worked on was the main user account. (I reset up OE to download the email
    directly from the ISP until I figured out the problem.)

    I was intently scanning every parameter in the program, and all of a sudden
    I noticed that the POP3 server port was listed as 200. I went to my Outlook
    account and it said that the POP3 incoming mail port was 200. On all the
    other email accounts, the port number was 110. From my little knowledge of
    ports, I knew that the incoming mail was supposed to be set to 110, so I
    changed it in the Spamkiller program as well as my OE account. Voila,
    everything works now.

    My question is: why would the POP3 server port number all of a sudden
    change????? Is there a bug in Spamkiller? Has some spamster figured out
    how to give people problems?

    And a second question, what is XML server port number? In Spamkiller it is
    listed as 2010. I could not find any reference to these terms in McAfee's
    Spamkiller PDF files.

    Thanks for any and all help.

    Paul

    Atlas Shrugged, Apr 19, 2005

  2. Atlas Shrugged

    x@y Guest

    Some Port Numbers,

    here: http://tinyurl.com/75qyp

    I am not sure if there is what You are looking for,
    maybe worth a try.
    Good Luck, x@y.

    x@y, Apr 19, 2005

  3. Interesting, but not what I need.

    Thanks.

    Atlas Shrugged, Apr 20, 2005
  4. Atlas Shrugged

    x@y Guest

    You are Welcome,

    x@y, Apr 20, 2005
  5. Atlas Shrugged

    Stingingfork

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Spamkiller and Windows Live Mail Don't Play Well Together

    I've been using McAfee Internet Security Suite for about nine months with Vista OS but within the past six months I started getting error messages concerning the McAfee Spam Killer. Just this week it started preventing Windows Live Mail from starting via a msmail.dll error. At first I didn't know it was McAfee causing the Live Mail problem. I searched out the error message from Live Mail on the web only to find that most people tried re-installing Live Mail but with limited success, I then decided to disable any software that connected with my Live Mail such as McAfee scanning my incoming and outgoing mail as well as the Spamkiller and I got my Live Mail up and working again. I then limited the McAfee to just scanning for viruses and left the Spamkiller disabled and the Live Mail program still works fine. My advice is until McAfee admits and fixes their problem with Spamkiller you should look for another spamming software.

    Stingingfork, Jan 27, 2008