    versions (than updates!) already installed on my computer. Should I just
    cut my losses and instal the Symantec equivalents or have I any hope of
    getting the McAfee ones installed and performing?

    john Kerr, May 15, 2004

  2. john Kerr

    °Mike° Guest

    McAfee is pants; Norton is pants. Dump both.

    Antivirus:
    ---------
    KAV (Kaspersky)
    http://www.kaspersky.com/

    eZ Antivirus (Computer Associates)

    Sophos
    http://www.sophos.com/products/sav/

    Firewall:
    --------
    Outpost 2.0
    Outpost 1.0 (free)
    www.agnitum.com/download/outpost1.html
    Outpost Firewall Guide
    http://outpostfirewall.com/guide/index.htm
    AGNIS for Outpost: Outpost Ad Block List
    http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/resource.htm#Outpost

    Sygate
    http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf/spf_ov.htm

    Zone Alarm
    http://www.zonelabs.com/

    On Sat, 15 May 2004 00:23:22 +0000 (UTC), in
    <c83ntq$psl$>
    john Kerr scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, May 15, 2004

  3. john Kerr

    docmill Guest

    "john Kerr" <> wrote in

    > I bought and installed McAfee VirusScan and Firewall software. Pretty
    > soon if I accessed The Security Center I got a lot of error messages
    > to eexplain why it couldn't perform some of its functions and when I
    > logged on I was being told that VirusScan had expired. I tried
    > re-installing or updating on a number of occasion and got more error
    > messages to say why the re-installing/updating hadn't worked. In
    > desperation I uninstalled both and then tried reinstalling. I get
    > error messages telling me that I have newer versions (than updates!)
    > already installed on my computer. Should I just cut my losses and
    > instal the Symantec equivalents or have I any hope of getting the
    > McAfee ones installed and performing?

    Phone them,
    Demand your money back.
    Install seperate programs to do anti virus and firewall.
    It seems to be a problem letting one vendor service both programs at the
    same time, their confusion. There are cheaper and less heavy alternatives
    available. It's like dogs, any stud will do to make puppies, but you only
    need the high dollar fella if your gonna show them off to the public.

    --
    +++++++++++ SEND ME A LINK +++++++++++

    docmill, May 15, 2004
  4. john Kerr

    Mellowed Guest

    need the high dollar fella if your gonna show them off to the
    public.<<<<

    Interesting analogy.

    "docmill" <> wrote in message
    : "john Kerr" <> wrote in
    : news:c83ntq$psl$:
    :
    : > I bought and installed McAfee VirusScan and Firewall software.
    Pretty
    : > soon if I accessed The Security Center I got a lot of error messages
    : > to eexplain why it couldn't perform some of its functions and when I
    : > logged on I was being told that VirusScan had expired. I tried
    : > re-installing or updating on a number of occasion and got more error
    : > messages to say why the re-installing/updating hadn't worked. In
    : > desperation I uninstalled both and then tried reinstalling. I get
    : > error messages telling me that I have newer versions (than updates!)
    : > already installed on my computer. Should I just cut my losses and
    : > instal the Symantec equivalents or have I any hope of getting the
    : > McAfee ones installed and performing?
    : >
    : >
    : >
    : Phone them,
    : Demand your money back.
    : Install seperate programs to do anti virus and firewall.
    : It seems to be a problem letting one vendor service both programs at
    the
    : same time, their confusion. There are cheaper and less heavy
    alternatives
    : available. It's like dogs, any stud will do to make puppies, but you
    only
    : need the high dollar fella if your gonna show them off to the public.
    :
    : --
    : +++++++++++ SEND ME A LINK +++++++++++
    : docmill's Home Of HotLinks In The Frying SPAM

    Mellowed, May 15, 2004
  5. john Kerr

    docmill Guest

    "Mellowed" <> wrote in

    > need the high dollar fella if your gonna show them off to the
    > public.<<<<
    >
    > Interesting analogy.

    You're not a PETA member are you, (think sheep are getting a bad haircut)?

    --
    +++++++++++ SEND ME A LINK +++++++++++

    docmill, May 15, 2004
  6. john Kerr

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Sat, 15 May 2004 01:10:38 -0000, docmill
    <> wrote:

    <snip>
    > It's like dogs, any stud will do to make puppies, but you only
    >need the high dollar fella if your gonna show them off to the public.

    Remind me, I have to remember that. :)

    Cheers,
    dan

    Dan Shea, May 15, 2004