McAfee Security Centre update

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by James Doyle, Oct 27, 2003.

  1. James Doyle

    James Doyle Guest

    Just like a few other users here some McAfee software is getting right up my
    nose!

    I am currently running windows XP with Service PAck 1 installed. I have
    installed Spamkiller 4 which comes with the Security Centre. Although
    Spamkiller is updating its filters frequently and effectively the security
    centre appears not to do so.

    I keep having the message "A web service update is ready to be installed"
    appear with the option to either "update now" or "continue what I was
    doing".

    When I select "update now" a new explorer window opens. A security warning
    then appears asking me if I want to install
    http://bin.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/mcinsctl/en-gb/4,0,0,72/mcinsctl.cab? -
    The message below reads "The publisher cannot be determined due to the
    problem below: Authenticode signature not found."

    When I click yes I am presented with a screen advising me that an error
    occured when downloading the ActiveX control and that I needed to click yes.
    I have followed the advise given on this screen to ensure that my ActiveX
    settings are correct in the internet options>security tab.

    So far I have been unable to get hold of anyone at McAfee to assist and it
    is now getting on for a week since this has occured.

    Can anyone please help me?

    Thanks

    James

    James Doyle, Oct 27, 2003

  2. James Doyle

    Ralph Mann Guest

    James Doyle said:

    > Just like a few other users here some McAfee software is getting right up my
    > nose!

    Why not take the advice that you must be seeing repeated time and time again.

    _Use something else_

    Ralph Mann, Oct 27, 2003

  3. James Doyle

    James Doyle Guest

    Very true but seeing as I have just bought this item and it is my first
    McAfee product I felt I should at least try every possible avenue before I
    do discard the product and try elsewhere.

    Although I do agree that this may be the best way to go!

    James Doyle, Oct 27, 2003
  4. James Doyle

    °Mike° Guest

    If it's getting up your nose, replace it.

    Magic Mail Monitor (freeware)
    http://www.geeba.org/magic/
    http://mmm3.sourceforge.net/

    K9 Spam filter (freeware)