    Outlook Express settings but I am continually blocked from accessing my
    email. I think Mcafee has left some junk somewhere. How do I get the
    crap mcafee left behind off my machine so I can read my emails?
    Solomon Grundy, Oct 10, 2004

  2. Ask here...

    http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/index.php

    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Oct 10, 2004

  3. Solomon Grundy

    jonny Guest

    Try this.
    Tools /Options/Security
    Then unclick the box Do not allow attachments to be opened that could
    potentially be a virus.
    jonny, Oct 10, 2004
  4. Solomon Grundy

    me Guest

    Did you use the uninstaller that came with Spamkiller? How did you
    uninstall it? Though some applications will leave residual programs in
    memory, and on the hard disk when uninstalled--my personal experience with
    Mcafee products has been that when you use the uninstaller provided it
    usually does a really good job of uninstalling the program properly, such
    that residual programs aren't left.

    If you are wanting to know if there is anything left of SpamKiller(assuming
    you don't have other Mcafee products installed) go to Start\Run and type in
    MSCONFIG go to STARTUP and look to see if Spamkiller left anything that
    automatically loads at boot. Anything that automatically starts up and
    loads when the machine boots will or (should) show here, though there are a
    couple other places you can set applications to automatically load this is
    the first place to look. If you find anything left of spamkiller you have a
    few options. First, use the Windows Add/Remove programs to see if you can
    get it that way. The options next become more serious and potentially
    dangerous to the machine if something goes wrong. First you can go to the
    file location listed in the STARTUP menu and physically delete the file(s)
    left--not much of a problem there unless other mcafee applications depend on
    them, and second you can go into the Windows Registry and locate the key(s)
    for spamkiller and delete them from the registry, IF you corrupt your
    registry and have not made any good restore points prior to this then you
    will be faced with a complete reinstall unless you have a backup of your
    registry available and handy, and your final option would be a system
    restore to an earlier point prior to installing spamkiller--NOT an option IF
    you want to keep any current settings because any changes you have made
    since THAT restore point(any applications you have installed, any hardware,
    any drivers, any anything) will be gone. Those are a few options available
    to you.
    me, Oct 10, 2004
  5. Hmm. Interesting. I removed the spamkiller and found the problems remain.

    I did a full scan (with McAfee antivirus) and found something called
    PassDump.b. My question is why did McAfee allow it to execute? It seems
    to have changed my email passwords.
    Solomon Grundy, Oct 10, 2004
  6. Please try the following...

    1) Download the following two items...

    Trend Sysclean Package

    Latest Trend signature files.

    Create a directory.
    On drive "C:\"
    (e.g., "c:\New Folder")
    or the desktop

    Download sysclean.com and place it in that directory.
    Dowload the signature files (pattern files) by obtaining the ZIP file.
    For example; lpt192.zip

    sysclean.com.

    2) If you are using WinME or WinXP, disable System Restore
    3) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode
    4) Using the Trend Sysclean utility, perform a Full Scan of your platform and
    clean/delete any infectors found
    5) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platform
    6) If you are using WinME or WinXP,Re-enable System Restore and re-apply any
    System Restore preferences, (e.g. HD space to use suggested 400 ~ 600MB),
    7) Reboot your PC.
    8) If you are using WinME or WinXP, create a new Restore point
    9) Please report back your results

    David H. Lipman, Oct 10, 2004
  7. Solomon Grundy

    me Guest