  1. Just tried to install internet security and it says it is not compatible
    with this version of windows ?

    David

    David Cleland, May 16, 2005

  2. Not yet. I'm sure they'll have one at some point, but for right now your
    choices are somewhat limited, and McAfee isn't amongst them. The corporate
    version of NAV and both personal and professional versions of AVAST are
    compatible, for sure.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 16, 2005

  3. > Not yet. I'm sure they'll have one at some point, but for right now your
    > choices are somewhat limited, and McAfee isn't amongst them. The corporate
    > version of NAV and both personal and professional versions of AVAST are
    > compatible, for sure.

    I am beginning to regret going 64 no firewall and no AV ? surely this is
    mad.

    David

    David Cleland, May 16, 2005
  4. David Cleland <> wrote:
    >> Not yet. I'm sure they'll have one at some point, but for right now
    >> your choices are somewhat limited, and McAfee isn't amongst them.
    >> The corporate version of NAV and both personal and professional
    >> versions of AVAST are compatible, for sure.
    >>

    > I am beginning to regret going 64 no firewall and no AV ? surely this
    > is mad.
    >
    > David

    Who said that ? avast av is working really fine and Tiny Firewall is working
    ok also.
    You also have the XP Firewall if you don't want to use Tiny Firewall...

    Give the time some...time... it's on the way

    Cheers

    --
    Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
    Johannesburg - South Africa

    Christian Hougardy \(MS MVP XP\), May 16, 2005
  5. David Cleland

    t Guest

    McaFee does work
    You have to use 8.0i
    It has a fire wall in it

    t, May 16, 2005
  6. > McaFee does work
    > You have to use 8.0i
    > It has a fire wall in it

    where do you get it - I have version 7

    David

    David Cleland, May 16, 2005
  7. and the XP Firewall from SP2 is way much better than prior versions.
    Also the No-Execute layer built into AMD processors should provide some
    level of comfort in terms of security:
    http://hardware.earthweb.com/chips/article.php/3358421

    --

    Andre
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa, May 16, 2005
  8. David Cleland

    James Park Guest

    As people have already replied, there are firewall and AV options out there.

    Has anyone here ever gotten a virus in which it wasn't his/her own fault?
    Doesn't just staying away from mysterious sites/attackments/warez keep your
    chances of infection close to nothing? I've been thinking about installing
    AV, but it's hard for me to want to run it in the background and hamper my
    system's performance knowing that I probably won't be infected anyway.

    James Park, May 16, 2005
  9. On 64 bit, I don't think you would even notice it.

    Andre Da Costa, May 17, 2005
  10. It seems the McAfee has not released the version to support x64 OS.

    KEN

    Ken Zhao [MSFT], May 17, 2005
  11. David Cleland

    t Guest

    They have a ver. it is 8.0i
    And it works just fine.
    Try and look frist before you say they dont have one
    I have been using it since beta built 1288 came out

    t, May 17, 2005
  12. David Cleland

    ocbwilg Guest

    > I am beginning to regret going 64 no firewall and no AV ? surely this is
    > mad.

    You mean that you didn't look before you leapt?

    Would you have switched to Linux without frist verifying tha the
    functionality you needed was available? I suspect not, so why would you
    switch to any other OS without first investigating it, especially when there
    is a free trial available?

    ocbwilg, May 18, 2005
  13. David Cleland

    ocbwilg Guest

    "Andre Da Costa" <> wrote in message
    > On 64 bit, I don't think you would even notice it.

    Based on what?

    At any rate, to answer the question:

    Most virus infections are self-inflicted. An educated user that stays away
    from shady web sites, email messages, attachments, warez, etc would reduce
    their chances of getting most infections to a very small percentage.
    However, there are still those worms that infect PCs over the network by
    exploiting security holes (Code Red, SQL Slammer, etc). You might keep your
    PC patched as best as possible, but if the OS vendor doesn't have a patch to
    fix the exploit then you're out of luck. A good antivirus solution can
    offer a level of protection in those circumstances because they include
    heuristic detection methods that watch for virus/worm/trojan-like behavior.

    ocbwilg, May 18, 2005
  14. David Cleland

    ocbwilg Guest

    >> McaFee does work
    >> You have to use 8.0i
    >> It has a fire wall in it

    > where do you get it - I have version 7

    He's referring to the corporate edition. You can download an eval from
    their web site.

    ocbwilg, May 18, 2005