    And / or another ISP offering a "free" subscription as part of their
    packages.

    Tia ................. L
    Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce, Jul 31, 2010

  2. Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Aug 1, 2010

  3. On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 21:09:30 +1200, Dave Doe <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> Good evening all,
    >> With Bigtime going, it'll most likely take my McAfee with it.
    >> So, is there a reliable widely acclaimed free alternative?
    >> And / or another ISP offering a "free" subscription as part of their
    >> packages.
    >>
    >> Tia ................. L

    >http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials

    That's cool ............ Thanks Dave ........... L.
    Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce, Aug 1, 2010
  4. Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce

    AD. Guest

    On Aug 2, 12:42 pm, Suzie Wong <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 21:09:30 +1200, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > >http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials

    > Its still in Beta

    Huh? While there is a beta out for the next upcoming version, the
    current version was released ages ago.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Aug 2, 2010
  5. Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce

    AD. Guest

    On Aug 2, 2:05 pm, Suzie Wong <> wrote:
    > Its never been finalized..

    Do you ever get tired of being wrong?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Security_Essentials

    "The final build was released on 29 September 2009"

    "On 19 July 2010 Microsoft released the beta version of Microsoft
    Security Essentials 2.0."

    Version 1.0 has been out for nearly a year. Version 2.0 is in beta.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Aug 2, 2010
  6. Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 12:44:54 +1200, in message <>
    Suzie Wong wrote:

    > >http://free.avg.com/au-en/homepage

    > That is a Dog of a program and slows your PC down..

    Hello, Roger Sheppard

    I have been running AVG for a year and a half, and it
    does not slow my PC down.

    If you have actually tried AVG yourself, then I wonder
    what is different between your installation and mine?

    > Avast is one of the Better ones or Anti Vir...

    Avast alsio causes a problem by the way it automatically switches
    connections to SSL when you don't want SSL.

    1. Here is Roger Sheppard having this problem with Avast and Albasani
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent/msg/440de9844ad4ef8d

    2. Here is someone else having this same problem with Avast and Giganews
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent/msg/eaa406bfe6886311

    --
    Regards
    Ralph
    Ralph Fox, Aug 2, 2010
  7. Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce

    John Little Guest

    On Aug 2, 9:56 pm, Ralph Fox <> wrote:

    > I have been running AVG for a year and a half, and it
    > does not slow my PC down.

    I have removed AVG from two XP PCs here and their performance in
    Windows improved markedly, especially in the first few minutes after
    logging on. I suspect that 1 GiB RAM is not enough for XP SP3 and
    AVG.

    I'd also developed a dislike of the company, they seemed to be not
    good citizens.

    Regards, John
    John Little, Aug 2, 2010
  8. Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 07:12:06 -0700 (PDT), in message <>
    John Little wrote:

    > On Aug 2, 9:56 pm, Ralph Fox <> wrote:
    >
    > > I have been running AVG for a year and a half, and it
    > > does not slow my PC down.

    > I have removed AVG from two XP PCs here and their performance in
    > Windows improved markedly, especially in the first few minutes after
    > logging on. I suspect that 1 GiB RAM is not enough for XP SP3 and
    > AVG.

    I had no problem with Win2K and 512 MiB or RAM.

    > I'd also developed a dislike of the company, they seemed to be not
    > good citizens.

    The sentence lacks explanation and references to verify.
    The sentence by itself might mean anything, such as they
    have not tithed money to someone's favourite TV preacher.

    --
    Regards
    Ralph
    Ralph Fox, Aug 2, 2010
  9. Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <160f6fc1-2707-4686-8725-fa3aff31e477
    @g6g2000pro.googlegroups.com>, says...

    > On Aug 2, 9:56 pm, Ralph Fox <> wrote:
    >
    > > I have been running AVG for a year and a half, and it
    > > does not slow my PC down.

    > I have removed AVG from two XP PCs here and their performance in
    > Windows improved markedly, especially in the first few minutes after
    > logging on. I suspect that 1 GiB RAM is not enough for XP SP3 and
    > AVG.
    >
    > I'd also developed a dislike of the company, they seemed to be not
    > good citizens.
    >
    > Regards, John

    If you have a low spec PC, Avast Home (free edition) might be the best
    go. It's fairly light. You can tweak it and turn off all the
    protection (permanentely) bar the realtime protection (which is all that
    is needed).

    Alternatively, try Microsoft's Security Essentials beta 2 (which is also
    faster and lighter than the release version). Just google it.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Aug 3, 2010
  10. Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 11:44:13 +1200, Dave Doe wrote:

    > Alternatively, try Microsoft's Security Essentials beta 2 (which is also
    > faster and lighter than the release version). Just google it.

    Why on earth would you want to use a security tool released by the same
    corporation that produced the buggy crappy insecure flawed OS that you
    need to protect from people using all those flaws?

    Sweetpea, Aug 3, 2010
  11. Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Suzie Wong <> wrote in

    > MSE is still a Beta as far as I am
    > concerned, Plus I would never ever trust it..

    It was one of the only ones, yes THE ONLY one able to stop a recent Zero
    Day.
    I like and use MSE and I used to use Avast.
    If you dont want to use MSE, then go with Avast.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Aug 4, 2010
  12. On Aug 2, 11:27 pm, Sweetpea <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 11:44:13 +1200, Dave Doe wrote:
    > > Alternatively, try Microsoft's Security Essentials beta 2 (which is also
    > > faster and lighter than the release version).  Just google it.

    > Why on earth would you want to use a security tool released by the same
    > corporation that produced the buggy crappy insecure flawed OS that you
    > need to protect from people using all those flaws?

    because they understand how the Windows OS works and have product a
    very robust free AV solution that is very performant and uses very
    little resources on the PC compared to other products, the AV engine
    gets updated several times a day and has had great feedback in testing
    and reviews

    Windows actually is secure, maybe you are running as root/
    administrator?
    Nathan Mercer, Aug 5, 2010
  13. In message
    <>, Nathan
    Mercer wrote:

    > Windows actually is secure, maybe you are running as root/
    > administrator?

    That’s like “guns actually are safe, maybe you are firing it with bullets
    loaded?â€
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 5, 2010
  14. Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce

    John Little Guest

    On Aug 3, 3:13 am, Ralph Fox wrote:

    > > I'd also developed a dislike of the company, they seemed to be not
    > > good citizens.

    > The sentence lacks explanation...

    Well, yes, ...

    > and references to verify.

    As a statement about myself, you'll have to take my word for it. Or,
    do you want to arrange a polygraph test? Administer a truth drug?

    > The sentence by itself might mean anything, such as they
    > have not tithed money to someone's favourite TV preacher.

    It means I formed a subjective opinion. I think that if I'm clear
    about my
    subjectivity it's ok to mention it.

    A polite (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/polite) response might be
    to ask
    why I have that opinion.

    Now, imagining that your post amounted to such,

    - One of the upgrades (to 8.5, I think) made it difficult for me
    to stay on the free version, in that the nag pop up directed me to
    their web site and it tried to make me buy their product, and links to
    the free version were absent.
    - The link scanner fiasco. I won't mention search engines, you've
    lectured me on those before, but for an example quote "that is the
    single most irresponsible thing I have EVER heard a CTO of any company
    say" in response to an AVG reply about it.

    Regards, John
    John Little, Aug 6, 2010
  15. Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce

    John Little Guest

    On Aug 3, 11:44 am, Dave Doe wrote:

    > If you have a low spec PC, Avast Home (free edition) might be the best
    > go.  It's fairly light.  You can tweak it and turn off all the
    > protection (permanentely) bar the realtime protection (which is all that
    > is needed).

    Thank you, I asked here, Avast was recommended, and I installed that.
    It didn't do as well in the British Which? magazine tests as AVG, but
    seems to have worked well.

    Regards, John
    John Little, Aug 6, 2010
  16. Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce

    bAZZ Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > Suzie Wong wrote:

    > >> Which you demonstrably haven't done as your comments appear
    > >> completely at odds with the experience of everyone here who has used
    > >> it.

    > > But them again I have better Brains and worked as a Test Eng for many
    > > years, Plus I am a lot older and used the Net since day one..

    > I have a friend who created the mariajuana virus (with a friend of his) way
    > back. Do you know who I am talking about? Well, he reckons you are talking
    > nonsense.
    >
    > And this is about software, not your brains. There's no comparison.

    hehe I remember tht! If only all viruses remained as simple and benign
    as that. Your computer is stoned LOL was so funny ( the first few times
    :) and by kiwis too wasn't it ?

    bAZZ
    bAZZ, Aug 6, 2010
  17. Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce

    bAZZ Guest

    In article <Xns9DCAC4B9F9418daveytaynospamplshot@94.75.214.90>,
    says...

    > Suzie Wong <> wrote in
    >
    > > MSE is still a Beta as far as I am
    > > concerned, Plus I would never ever trust it..
    > >

    > It was one of the only ones, yes THE ONLY one able to stop a recent Zero
    > Day.
    > I like and use MSE and I used to use Avast.
    > If you dont want to use MSE, then go with Avast.

    Wasn't it actually a seperate security product from an indepenent
    company that really worked well and Microsoft gobbled them up and
    renamed them ? I forget the details but I used to use it I'm sure I did.
    Bloody forgetfulness has been a bother of late but am sure it was a good
    functioning product. I get updates for MSE almost if not daily and it
    works OK for me.

    bAZZ
    bAZZ, Aug 6, 2010
  18. Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > On Aug 2, 11:27 pm, Sweetpea <> wrote:
    >> On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 11:44:13 +1200, Dave Doe wrote:
    >>> Alternatively, try Microsoft's Security Essentials beta 2 (which is
    >>> also faster and lighter than the release version). Just google it.

    >> Why on earth would you want to use a security tool released by the
    >> same corporation that produced the buggy crappy insecure flawed OS
    >> that you need to protect from people using all those flaws?

    > because they understand how the Windows OS works and have product a
    > very robust free AV solution that is very performant and uses very
    > little resources on the PC compared to other products,

    Yep, you'd think that would be the case huh? It was that logic that prompted
    me to install it on most of my machines that were running XP Pro a while
    back.

    However, when two of them became non-responsive and investigation showed
    that it was MSE using 100% CPU continually (not great on laptops) and that
    it wasn't an isolated phenomena it was removed from all of my machines and
    replaced with Avast! which has been very good.
    --
    Shaun.

    "Let food be thy medicine" Hippocrates.

    ~misfit~, Aug 9, 2010
  19. Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 12:59:32 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Why on earth would you want to use a security tool released by the
    >>> same corporation that produced the buggy crappy insecure flawed OS
    >>> that you need to protect from people using all those flaws?

    >> because they understand how the Windows OS works and have product a
    >> very robust free AV solution that is very performant and uses very
    >> little resources on the PC compared to other products,

    > Yep, you'd think that would be the case huh? It was that logic that
    > prompted me to install it on most of my machines that were running XP
    > Pro a while back.
    >
    > However, when two of them became non-responsive and investigation showed
    > that it was MSE using 100% CPU continually (not great on laptops) and
    > that it wasn't an isolated phenomena it was removed from all of my
    > machines and replaced with Avast! which has been very good.

    And lets not forget - if M$ is so very good at producing software that
    makes the OS supposedly safe from viruses why can't it simply fix the
    flaws in M$ Windows and do away with the need for an additional
    application consuming yet more resources over and above those used by
    Microsoft's bloatware?

    MS Windows, MS Internet Explorer, and MS Office are by a large margin
    still the primary vectors for malware to infest a MS Windows PC.

    Sweetpea, Aug 9, 2010
  20. Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce

    Murray Symon Guest

    Sweetpea wrote:

    > On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 12:59:32 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Nathan Mercer wrote:

    >>> because they understand how the Windows OS works and have product a
    >>> very robust free AV solution that is very performant and uses very
    >>> little resources on the PC compared to other products,

    >> Yep, you'd think that would be the case huh? It was that logic that
    >> prompted me to install it on most of my machines that were running XP
    >> Pro a while back.
    >>
    >> However, when two of them became non-responsive and investigation showed
    >> that it was MSE using 100% CPU continually (not great on laptops) and
    >> that it wasn't an isolated phenomena it was removed from all of my
    >> machines and replaced with Avast! which has been very good.

    > And lets not forget - if M$ is so very good at producing software that
    > makes the OS supposedly safe from viruses why can't it simply fix the
    > flaws in M$ Windows and do away with the need for an additional
    > application consuming yet more resources over and above those used by
    > Microsoft's bloatware?
    >
    > MS Windows, MS Internet Explorer, and MS Office are by a large margin
    > still the primary vectors for malware to infest a MS Windows PC.

    It seems they're slipping behind Adobe these days:

    "It's official: Adobe Reader is world's most-exploited app
    Adobe's ubiquitous Reader application has replaced Microsoft Word as
    the program that's most often targeted in malware campaigns, according
    to figures compiled by F-Secure."
    <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/09/adobe_reader_attacks/>

    Report: Malicious PDF files comprised 80 percent of all exploits for 2009
    <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/report-malicious-pdf-files-comprised-80-percent-of-all-exploits-for-2009/5473>
    Murray Symon, Aug 9, 2010