    have a two year degree over certification from Microsoft?

    Was it worth my time?
    Any Feelings on this?
    Mike, Apr 14, 2005

  2. Mike

    Joseph MCAD Guest

    April 13, 2005

    I think it is! I don't see how you can make yourself stand out without
    certification, even if you have lots of experience! Good job and keep going!

    Joseph MCAD

    Joseph MCAD, Apr 14, 2005

  3. Mike

    kpg Guest

    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I've been studying programming for about four years. A
    > little of this, a lot of that. I love it! I really enjoy
    > DirectX. However, I realized that if I want to make a
    > career change I would need credentials. So I decided to
    > get MCAD certified. I chose C# since it's alot like C++.
    > Used Kalani along with Microsoft Press, and passed each
    > exam on first try. Anyway my point of this all is, The
    > first job I sent my resume for listed Visual Studio, C#,
    > and ADO.NET as the primary skills required, two days
    > later they changed the add to say "Minimum Associates
    > Degree". It kind of burst my bubble. They would rather
    > have a two year degree over certification from Microsoft?

    Yes and No. Certification if all well and good - it shows
    familiarity with the product. But a degree shows a much
    broader range skills, reading, writing, team work,
    persistence. I have hired many programmers and I prefer
    degreed candidates, even if they have no familiarity with
    the language or tools we use, because I know I can teach
    them and that they can be productive employees.

    You made the effort to get your MCAD, well if the
    employers want an Associates degree - go get that
    too. None of these accomplishments are a waste of
    time, but any one by themselves may not be sufficient
    in today's market.

    kpg
    kpg, Apr 14, 2005
  4. Mike

    prash Guest

    hi ,
    even i had a similar experience. i recently cleared my
    mcp exam(315). but when i told my senior abt it , he said
    there is nt much value in certification nowadays and
    anybody can pass thru dumps.
    dont know if there is any meaning to study hard and
    clear those 3 papers.

    prash, Apr 21, 2005
  5. Mike

    EggHead Guest

    M$ cert or Tech cert in general is an add-on component, similar to the c1
    component or DevExpress component. They are good stuff, but You need to have
    VS.net :)

    VS.net = your degree / exp in the field

    So go to get your VS.net

    Egghead