MCAD: Which path should I take - Web or Windows dev?

Discussion in 'MCAD' started by George, Jun 2, 2004.

  1. George

    George Guest

    Hi all

    I wish to do the MCAD exams. I'm currently an experienced
    Access/VBA programmer with some experience in VB6 and SQL
    server.

    I'm confused as to which track to follow.

    1: VB.NET for Web applications.

    Or

    2: VB.NET for Windows applications.

    Looking to the future, which track would be wiser to
    follow, i.e. which one is more marketable?

    I would like to learn web development skills but I have no
    working experience in web development. Would going for
    the web option be a waste of time? Should I stick to
    windows development?

    Also I was thinking on building on my VB/VBA skills by
    doing the VB.NET option. How about C#.NET, would it be
    better to take the C#.NET exams instead of VB.NET exams?

    Thanks for your help

    George

    George, Jun 2, 2004

  2. George

    Eric Guest

    George wrote:

    > Looking to the future, which track would be wiser to
    > follow, i.e. which one is more marketable?

    There are probably more jobs in ASP.NET than in Windows forms. C# is
    not much different than VB.NET when it comes to the tests. It doesn't
    matter which language you use for tests.

    I think there's more jobs at beginner and mid-level for VB.NET. C#
    seems to have the most advanced developer jobs.

    If you've been a programmer more than 10 years, go for C#. If less than
    10 years, VB.NET might give you more job choices. This "10 year" number
    is just pulled out of the air. Don't read something into it - it's just
    an example. There are always exceptions.

    And please understand that there are many fine advanced VB.NET
    developers. I'm just making a comment about job prospects, and not
    about the quality of individual programmers.

    Eric

    Eric, Jun 2, 2004

  3. George

    Raja Guest

    George,

    There is no separate windows or web track in .Net, both
    (along with XML Web services) constitutes the .Net MCAD
    certification.

    There is no "waste of time" learning web skills with
    windows experience, since web skills will nicely round out
    your skill set. Since you were doing Win applications in
    VB/VBA, my advice would be to start with vb.net windows,
    dabble in web apps and then do the vb.net web exam. (What
    I mean by start with vb.net windows is not starting with
    the exam book, but do some .net win apps first and then
    prepare for the exam)

    Good luck !
    - Raja.

    Raja, Jun 2, 2004
  4. George

    George Guest

    Thanks for the resposnse guys. From what I've read here it looks like the web option would be better for me

    George, Jun 8, 2004