MCAD vs DEGREE (uk)

Discussion in 'MCAD' started by Liam, Jan 28, 2005.

  1. Liam

    Liam Guest

    I have started studying for my MCAD - 305, .NET Web Apps.

    I passed a Masters degree in Computer Science, in the UK 6 years ago
    (using VB5/6 - before .net).

    I have now got 6 years experience (1 year .NET).

    I have definatly learnt stuff studing for my MCAD, and gained a
    broader understanding.

    My main goal with the MCAD is to make myself more employable - with
    better oppotunities, and , yes, more money.

    Will an MCAD do this - i see a lot of people on this group saying it
    is not that great a quaification - even though i think we all agree
    its a tough exam to pass.

    I certaintly feel its a good way of proving to myself, and employers I
    have made a proper transition from VB6 to .NET.

    Liam, Jan 28, 2005

  2. Liam

    Liam Guest

    "Mike [MCP VB]" <www.evolvedsoftwarestudios.com> wrote in message news:<#>...
    > "Brad" <> wrote in message
    > > wth kind of masters degree in computer science has anything to do with
    > > VB5/6????? And you "passed" your Masters degree???? What was it, some
    > > kind
    > > of test?

    > A theoretical one with no OO. Perhaps business with computing.
    >
    > And of the degree levels:
    >
    > 1:1
    > 2:1
    > 2:2
    > 3:3
    > Pass
    > Fail
    >
    > Although this is now:
    >
    > 1:1
    > 2:1
    > 2:2
    > Pass
    > Fail
    >
    > Although "Passed" can be read as any of the non-failure grades.
    >
    > Hope this helps.

    Brad,

    U pompous nob u sound like u think i was making it up. It was a
    Masters Degree done at de montfort university. You do NOT get graded -
    u pass or fail or get a distinction. The VB6 was done as part of one
    module. Happy now or do u want me to post a scan of the certificate u
    so can stick it up your know it all arse.

    Liam, Feb 4, 2005

  3. Liam

    dotNEWBIE Guest

    De Montfort is a University these days?
    Whooda thunked?

    > "Liam" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > Brad,
    > >
    > > U pompous nob u sound like u think i was making it up. It was a
    > > Masters Degree done at de montfort university. You do NOT get graded -
    > > u pass or fail or get a distinction. The VB6 was done as part of one
    > > module. Happy now or do u want me to post a scan of the certificate u
    > > so can stick it up your know it all arse.

    > Wow sir, you impress me with your rudeness... De Montfort are really

    turning

    dotNEWBIE, Feb 11, 2005
  4. Liam

    stan4th Guest

    I think you just need to maintain a sense of perspective. Real world exp
    is usually valued above all, but most commentators argue that
    qualifications and/or certifications are what can give you the edge
    when all else is level.
    Unfortunately sometimes degrees etc can be achieved without gaining
    immediate pertinent skills to the industry and you need to consider who
    you are applying for jobs with. Some companies will never really value
    qualifications - but do you really want to work for them?
    P.S. I have BSc(Hons) 2.1 and working towards MCSD.

    --
    stan4th

    stan4th, Mar 8, 2005