    the C# or VB. I am getting certified to get a job as a .NET developer. Which
    language is more in demand, which one will be more in demand, which is
    easier, which is a better language?
    Allyson, Feb 1, 2006

  2. Allyson

    Lydon Bergin Guest

    First of all, this is just asking for a flame-war :)

    >I am starting to sign up for the MCAD. I am not sure which track is Better
    > the C# or VB. I am getting certified to get a job as a .NET developer.

    If you are looking strictly to get a job, I would go for the C# track.

    > Which language is more in demand,

    Over the last 2-3 months, I have been checking out jobs online and, at least
    in my area, it seems like there are jobs that are strictly C#, and then
    there are jobs that are either VB or C#, but RARELY have I seen any jobs
    where they are looking to hire ONLY a VB programmer.

    >which one will be more in demand,

    again, at least in my opinion, C#

    >which is easier

    To me VB is easier, but it may just be because my background is in VB. If
    you have no experience, C# my be just as easy to learn as VB.

    >which is a better language?

    I'm leaving that one alone...
    Lydon Bergin, Feb 1, 2006

  3. Allyson

    Lou Zher Guest

    I recommend the opposite of your work experience. For example, if your
    resume is filled with VB.NET stuff, take the C# path, so you can show
    potential employers that you are good at both.
    -LZ

    Lou Zher, Feb 1, 2006
  4. Allyson

    MatrixVic Guest

    MatrixVic, Feb 1, 2006
  5. Allyson

    Lydon Bergin Guest

    > Microsoft develops first in C# then ports changes to VB. That tells me
    > a lot. I'm sticking with C#.
    >
    > Vic

    That is a good point, but that may just be because it's easier to port C# to
    VB than vice versa. There are things you can do in each language that you
    can't do in another, but I think the majority of people believe that C# is
    the "Better Language", because the things you can do in C# that you can't do
    in VB are more significant. Like I said, I think that VB is easier to
    learn, and I also think it is just a cleaner language. Especially in VB &
    C# 2005, I think the two languages are moving towards each other in terms of
    both power and ease of use. Most of what you do is using the framework
    anyway though (which is probably written mostly in C#??) so there will be a
    lot of similarities.
    Lydon Bergin, Feb 1, 2006
  6. Allyson

    Egghead Guest

    Egghead, Feb 4, 2006
  7. I'd say that this is extrememly good advice.

    In my experiance employers like to see an ability to adapt. In many cases it
    is more important that you can get to the point of being commerically
    productive in a new system, rather than which system you already know.

    Mark Miidlemist
    Senior Developer – Insurance Systems
    ISIS Technology Solutions - www.isisbroker.co.uk

    Mark Middlemist, Feb 9, 2006
  8. Allyson

    Leeland Clay Guest

    Personally, I think the point has been missed on this. If I'm understanding
    this correctly, Allyson is asking which way we think (s)he should go on the
    cert path. I would say go out, get an eval copy of VS, a CHEAP book on both
    languages and spend a week or so going through each language. It doesn't
    matter how much a language is in demand, if you don't like the language you
    won't want to work at it and therefore be unhappy. If that happens, then
    you're pretty much wasting your money by getting certified in it.

    I'm not going to get into which language is better than the others simply
    because it's all based on personal experience. If I want a strong, fast
    program I use C++. If I need RAD, I go for VB. I know a lot of people are
    sitting there saying that C# is a RAD language, but I personally have more
    experience with VB, so that's what I choose :).

    Leeland Clay, Feb 11, 2006