    VS2003 and I am solely working on Visual Studio 2003. Is there any option
    available which allows me to complete MCTS? Thanks in advance.

    -MJS

    MJS, May 14, 2008

  2. MJS

    Pete Jones Guest

    VS2005 is covered by 3 MCTS titles:

    ..NET Framework 2.0 Web Applications
    (536: Application Development Foundation
    528: Web-Based Client Development)
    ..NET Framework 2.0 Windows Applications
    (536: Application Development Foundation
    526: Windows-Based Client Development)
    ..NET Framework 2.0 Distributed Applications
    (536: Application Development Foundation
    529: Distributed Application Development)

    This is confusing for most people, since the two exams (listed in brackets)
    have different titles to the final MCTS title.

    MCPD also covers VS2005 with 3 titles, which have the MCTS as pre-requisites:

    Web Developer (536+528+547)
    Windows Developer (536+526+548)
    Enterprise Applications Developer (536+526+528+529+549)

    So depending on how you want to progress, there are a few options open to you.

    536 is your first stop. Then 526, 528 or 529.

    --
    Pete Jones
    MCSE:Security, MCSE:Messaging

    Pete Jones, May 15, 2008

  3. MJS

    MJS Guest

    Hi Jones,

    Thank you very much for you reply. Basically my doubt is: I want to do
    certification for VS2005 (MCTS - Windows Applications: 536 and 526) and not
    for VS2003 (say MCAD or MCSD). However I don't have VS2005 development
    environment available to me.

    Currently I am doing development work on VS2003. I can get all the books and
    other resources for VS2005 certification, however apart from the bookish
    knowledge, to gain actual hands-on experience, I am looking for some options.
    So is there any option of subscribing or getting some evaluation version of
    VS2005 from Microsoft so that I can get myself acquainted with VS2005
    development environment for doing my certification?

    Regards,
    -MJS

    MJS, May 16, 2008
  4. MJS

    MJS Guest

    MJS, May 17, 2008
  5. MJS

    Pete Jones Guest

    Evaluation version should be just the same as retail, although you may find a
    few advanced features disabled. But largely, if you can find your way around
    it quick enough in 90 days to be comfortable to do what you do in 2003, then
    you should have a good chance to pass the exams.

    Best to do the book learning once through first, then start with the
    software, to get the full benefit during the trial.

    Pete Jones, May 19, 2008
  6. MJS

    MJS Guest

    Hi Jones, Thank you very much for your valuable inputs.
    -MJS

    MJS, May 20, 2008