MCAD to MCPD: Enterprise

Discussion in 'MCAD' started by Sean, Oct 25, 2005.

  1. Sean

    Sean Guest

    MCPD: Enterprise is basically the new MCSD the best I can translate is that
    if a MCAD wanted to move up to the equivalent of the MCSD 2.0 that would mean
    taking the following exams
    70-529
    70-552
    70-551
    70-549

    4 exams which is about what I expected because MCAD to MCSD would be two
    exams and then two exams for the upgrade. But I do want to confirm the exam
    numbers I have above such that I understand what I am reading properly.

    Thanks
     
    Sean, Oct 25, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Sean

    EggHead Guest

    I think there is no upgrade path for MCAD to MCPD: Enterprise Applications
    Developer. There are upgrade paths for MCAD to MCPD: Web/Windows Developer.
    Unless 70-549 includes 70-548 and 70-547, each MCPD: ??? developer path has
    their own exam.
    Egghead

    "Sean" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > MCPD: Enterprise is basically the new MCSD the best I can translate is
    > that
    > if a MCAD wanted to move up to the equivalent of the MCSD 2.0 that would
    > mean
    > taking the following exams
    > 70-529
    > 70-552
    > 70-551
    > 70-549
    >
    > 4 exams which is about what I expected because MCAD to MCSD would be two
    > exams and then two exams for the upgrade. But I do want to confirm the
    > exam
    > numbers I have above such that I understand what I am reading properly.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
     
    EggHead, Oct 25, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. There is no direct upgrade path from MCAD to MCPD: Enterprise Application
    Developer- This is a true statement

    However if a MCAD wants to move to MCPD: Enterprise Application Developer
    there are a few options:

    Regular Option
    Take regular path of 70-536, 70-526, 70-528, 70-529 and 70-549... This
    option will give the MCAD person the credentials of MCTS: .NET Framework 2.0
    Web Applications, MCTS: .NET Framework 2.0 Windows Applications, MCTS: .Net
    Framework 2.0 Distributed Applications AND MCPD: Enterprise Applications
    Developer

    Upgrade Option
    Same as what Sean discussued below... Take 70-551, 70-552, 70-529, 70-549...
    This will give him/her all of the following credentials MCTS in Web, Windows
    and DA plus MCPD Web Dev, Windows Dev as well as Enterprise App Dev...

    A person can also choose to use only one upgrade (eg 551 and take 526
    (Windows TS instead of 552) and so on...

    We have tried to raise the bar with new certification family and make the
    exams more relevant to technology as well as job roles that developers
    have... I hope the new direction will be appreciated and adopted well...

    wishes
    Vishal



    "EggHead" wrote:

    > I think there is no upgrade path for MCAD to MCPD: Enterprise Applications
    > Developer. There are upgrade paths for MCAD to MCPD: Web/Windows Developer.
    > Unless 70-549 includes 70-548 and 70-547, each MCPD: ??? developer path has
    > their own exam.
    > Egghead
    >
    > "Sean" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > >
    > > MCPD: Enterprise is basically the new MCSD the best I can translate is
    > > that
    > > if a MCAD wanted to move up to the equivalent of the MCSD 2.0 that would
    > > mean
    > > taking the following exams
    > > 70-529
    > > 70-552
    > > 70-551
    > > 70-549
    > >
    > > 4 exams which is about what I expected because MCAD to MCSD would be two
    > > exams and then two exams for the upgrade. But I do want to confirm the
    > > exam
    > > numbers I have above such that I understand what I am reading properly.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >

    >
    >
    >
     
    Vishal R Joshi [MSFT], Oct 26, 2005
    #3
  4. Sean

    Genghis Khan Guest

    According the webcast, they said that the possible upgrade path it will be
    ready sometime in 2006. The new exams are just regular path to the new
    credentials. I would say that we should not assume "an upgrade" at this time

    "Vishal R Joshi [MSFT]" <Vishal R Joshi [MSFT]@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote in message news:...
    > There is no direct upgrade path from MCAD to MCPD: Enterprise Application
    > Developer- This is a true statement
    >
    > However if a MCAD wants to move to MCPD: Enterprise Application Developer
    > there are a few options:
    >
    > Regular Option
    > Take regular path of 70-536, 70-526, 70-528, 70-529 and 70-549... This
    > option will give the MCAD person the credentials of MCTS: .NET Framework
    > 2.0
    > Web Applications, MCTS: .NET Framework 2.0 Windows Applications, MCTS:
    > .Net
    > Framework 2.0 Distributed Applications AND MCPD: Enterprise Applications
    > Developer
    >
    > Upgrade Option
    > Same as what Sean discussued below... Take 70-551, 70-552, 70-529,
    > 70-549...
    > This will give him/her all of the following credentials MCTS in Web,
    > Windows
    > and DA plus MCPD Web Dev, Windows Dev as well as Enterprise App Dev...
    >
    > A person can also choose to use only one upgrade (eg 551 and take 526
    > (Windows TS instead of 552) and so on...
    >
    > We have tried to raise the bar with new certification family and make the
    > exams more relevant to technology as well as job roles that developers
    > have... I hope the new direction will be appreciated and adopted well...
    >
    > wishes
    > Vishal
    >
    >
    >
    > "EggHead" wrote:
    >
    >> I think there is no upgrade path for MCAD to MCPD: Enterprise
    >> Applications
    >> Developer. There are upgrade paths for MCAD to MCPD: Web/Windows
    >> Developer.
    >> Unless 70-549 includes 70-548 and 70-547, each MCPD: ??? developer path
    >> has
    >> their own exam.
    >> Egghead
    >>
    >> "Sean" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...
    >> >
    >> > MCPD: Enterprise is basically the new MCSD the best I can translate is
    >> > that
    >> > if a MCAD wanted to move up to the equivalent of the MCSD 2.0 that
    >> > would
    >> > mean
    >> > taking the following exams
    >> > 70-529
    >> > 70-552
    >> > 70-551
    >> > 70-549
    >> >
    >> > 4 exams which is about what I expected because MCAD to MCSD would be
    >> > two
    >> > exams and then two exams for the upgrade. But I do want to confirm the
    >> > exam
    >> > numbers I have above such that I understand what I am reading properly.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks
    >> >

    >>
    >>
    >>
     
    Genghis Khan, Oct 26, 2005
    #4
  5. Upgrade path will be available early 2006... Regular exams will come out in
    phases and so entire regular path will also be available in early 2006 as
    well...

    "Genghis Khan" wrote:

    > According the webcast, they said that the possible upgrade path it will be
    > ready sometime in 2006. The new exams are just regular path to the new
    > credentials. I would say that we should not assume "an upgrade" at this time
    >
    > "Vishal R Joshi [MSFT]" <Vishal R Joshi [MSFT]@discussions.microsoft.com>
    > wrote in message news:...
    > > There is no direct upgrade path from MCAD to MCPD: Enterprise Application
    > > Developer- This is a true statement
    > >
    > > However if a MCAD wants to move to MCPD: Enterprise Application Developer
    > > there are a few options:
    > >
    > > Regular Option
    > > Take regular path of 70-536, 70-526, 70-528, 70-529 and 70-549... This
    > > option will give the MCAD person the credentials of MCTS: .NET Framework
    > > 2.0
    > > Web Applications, MCTS: .NET Framework 2.0 Windows Applications, MCTS:
    > > .Net
    > > Framework 2.0 Distributed Applications AND MCPD: Enterprise Applications
    > > Developer
    > >
    > > Upgrade Option
    > > Same as what Sean discussued below... Take 70-551, 70-552, 70-529,
    > > 70-549...
    > > This will give him/her all of the following credentials MCTS in Web,
    > > Windows
    > > and DA plus MCPD Web Dev, Windows Dev as well as Enterprise App Dev...
    > >
    > > A person can also choose to use only one upgrade (eg 551 and take 526
    > > (Windows TS instead of 552) and so on...
    > >
    > > We have tried to raise the bar with new certification family and make the
    > > exams more relevant to technology as well as job roles that developers
    > > have... I hope the new direction will be appreciated and adopted well...
    > >
    > > wishes
    > > Vishal
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > "EggHead" wrote:
    > >
    > >> I think there is no upgrade path for MCAD to MCPD: Enterprise
    > >> Applications
    > >> Developer. There are upgrade paths for MCAD to MCPD: Web/Windows
    > >> Developer.
    > >> Unless 70-549 includes 70-548 and 70-547, each MCPD: ??? developer path
    > >> has
    > >> their own exam.
    > >> Egghead
    > >>
    > >> "Sean" <> wrote in message
    > >> news:...
    > >> >
    > >> > MCPD: Enterprise is basically the new MCSD the best I can translate is
    > >> > that
    > >> > if a MCAD wanted to move up to the equivalent of the MCSD 2.0 that
    > >> > would
    > >> > mean
    > >> > taking the following exams
    > >> > 70-529
    > >> > 70-552
    > >> > 70-551
    > >> > 70-549
    > >> >
    > >> > 4 exams which is about what I expected because MCAD to MCSD would be
    > >> > two
    > >> > exams and then two exams for the upgrade. But I do want to confirm the
    > >> > exam
    > >> > numbers I have above such that I understand what I am reading properly.
    > >> >
    > >> > Thanks
    > >> >
    > >>
    > >>
    > >>

    >
    >
    >
     
    Vishal R Joshi [MSFT], Oct 26, 2005
    #5
  6. Sean

    Don Huan Guest

    Hi,

    I'm a MCAD and have only one exam (70-300) left until m MCSD. What is
    the best path for me to upgrade to MCPD: Enterprise Application
    Developer? Is it the upgrade option as you mention it here (leave my
    MCAD "as is" and then take 70-551, 70-552, 70-529, 70-549...)
    OR should I make 70-300 and then take 2 UPGRADES (70–553, 70–554 as here
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcpd/entapp/ )

    What's the best way?

    greetings,

    Konstantin



    Vishal R Joshi [MSFT] wrote:
    > There is no direct upgrade path from MCAD to MCPD: Enterprise Application
    > Developer- This is a true statement
    >
    > However if a MCAD wants to move to MCPD: Enterprise Application Developer
    > there are a few options:
    >
    > Regular Option
    > Take regular path of 70-536, 70-526, 70-528, 70-529 and 70-549... This
    > option will give the MCAD person the credentials of MCTS: .NET Framework 2.0
    > Web Applications, MCTS: .NET Framework 2.0 Windows Applications, MCTS: .Net
    > Framework 2.0 Distributed Applications AND MCPD: Enterprise Applications
    > Developer
    >
    > Upgrade Option
    > Same as what Sean discussued below... Take 70-551, 70-552, 70-529, 70-549...
    > This will give him/her all of the following credentials MCTS in Web, Windows
    > and DA plus MCPD Web Dev, Windows Dev as well as Enterprise App Dev...
    >
    > A person can also choose to use only one upgrade (eg 551 and take 526
    > (Windows TS instead of 552) and so on...
    >
    > We have tried to raise the bar with new certification family and make the
    > exams more relevant to technology as well as job roles that developers
    > have... I hope the new direction will be appreciated and adopted well...
    >
    > wishes
    > Vishal
    >
    >
    >
    > "EggHead" wrote:
    >
    >
    >>I think there is no upgrade path for MCAD to MCPD: Enterprise Applications
    >>Developer. There are upgrade paths for MCAD to MCPD: Web/Windows Developer.
    >>Unless 70-549 includes 70-548 and 70-547, each MCPD: ??? developer path has
    >>their own exam.
    >>Egghead
    >>
    >>"Sean" <> wrote in message
    >>news:...
    >>
    >>>MCPD: Enterprise is basically the new MCSD the best I can translate is
    >>>that
    >>>if a MCAD wanted to move up to the equivalent of the MCSD 2.0 that would
    >>>mean
    >>>taking the following exams
    >>>70-529
    >>>70-552
    >>>70-551
    >>>70-549
    >>>
    >>>4 exams which is about what I expected because MCAD to MCSD would be two
    >>>exams and then two exams for the upgrade. But I do want to confirm the
    >>>exam
    >>>numbers I have above such that I understand what I am reading properly.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>

    >>
    >>
    >>
     
    Don Huan, Oct 26, 2005
    #6
  7. Disclaimer: Below mentioned is my personal opinion and not Microsoft's
    Official Recommendation...

    If the aim is to become MCPD: Enterprise App Dev... I feel that if you are
    just one exam away from MCSD .Net then effectively you are 3 exams away from
    MCPD: Enterprise App Dev... Instead of taking the longer route of 4 exams I
    would take the 3 exam route... But that's just me...

    Vishal R Joshi
    Product Planner - Technical
    VS.Net 2005 Certifications, Microsoft


    "Don Huan" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm a MCAD and have only one exam (70-300) left until m MCSD. What is
    > the best path for me to upgrade to MCPD: Enterprise Application
    > Developer? Is it the upgrade option as you mention it here (leave my
    > MCAD "as is" and then take 70-551, 70-552, 70-529, 70-549...)
    > OR should I make 70-300 and then take 2 UPGRADES (70–553, 70–554 as here
    > http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcpd/entapp/ )
    >
    > What's the best way?
    >
    > greetings,
    >
    > Konstantin
    >
    >
    >
    > Vishal R Joshi [MSFT] wrote:
    > > There is no direct upgrade path from MCAD to MCPD: Enterprise Application
    > > Developer- This is a true statement
    > >
    > > However if a MCAD wants to move to MCPD: Enterprise Application Developer
    > > there are a few options:
    > >
    > > Regular Option
    > > Take regular path of 70-536, 70-526, 70-528, 70-529 and 70-549... This
    > > option will give the MCAD person the credentials of MCTS: .NET Framework 2.0
    > > Web Applications, MCTS: .NET Framework 2.0 Windows Applications, MCTS: .Net
    > > Framework 2.0 Distributed Applications AND MCPD: Enterprise Applications
    > > Developer
    > >
    > > Upgrade Option
    > > Same as what Sean discussued below... Take 70-551, 70-552, 70-529, 70-549...
    > > This will give him/her all of the following credentials MCTS in Web, Windows
    > > and DA plus MCPD Web Dev, Windows Dev as well as Enterprise App Dev...
    > >
    > > A person can also choose to use only one upgrade (eg 551 and take 526
    > > (Windows TS instead of 552) and so on...
    > >
    > > We have tried to raise the bar with new certification family and make the
    > > exams more relevant to technology as well as job roles that developers
    > > have... I hope the new direction will be appreciated and adopted well...
    > >
    > > wishes
    > > Vishal
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > "EggHead" wrote:
    > >
    > >
    > >>I think there is no upgrade path for MCAD to MCPD: Enterprise Applications
    > >>Developer. There are upgrade paths for MCAD to MCPD: Web/Windows Developer.
    > >>Unless 70-549 includes 70-548 and 70-547, each MCPD: ??? developer path has
    > >>their own exam.
    > >>Egghead
    > >>
    > >>"Sean" <> wrote in message
    > >>news:...
    > >>
    > >>>MCPD: Enterprise is basically the new MCSD the best I can translate is
    > >>>that
    > >>>if a MCAD wanted to move up to the equivalent of the MCSD 2.0 that would
    > >>>mean
    > >>>taking the following exams
    > >>>70-529
    > >>>70-552
    > >>>70-551
    > >>>70-549
    > >>>
    > >>>4 exams which is about what I expected because MCAD to MCSD would be two
    > >>>exams and then two exams for the upgrade. But I do want to confirm the
    > >>>exam
    > >>>numbers I have above such that I understand what I am reading properly.
    > >>>
    > >>>Thanks
    > >>>
    > >>
    > >>
    > >>

    >
     
    Vishal R Joshi [MSFT], Oct 26, 2005
    #7
  8. Sean

    Blackmetal Guest

    Your point is right, because the new certification is very independent from
    the current MCSD, and many people is thinking that taking the new exams,
    they would be "upgrading" their certification, but is not.

    The upgrade path it will be given in mid 2006, and the new exams, are for
    the full path to the new certification.

    "Vishal R Joshi [MSFT]" <> wrote
    in message news:...
    > Disclaimer: Below mentioned is my personal opinion and not Microsoft's
    > Official Recommendation...
    >
    > If the aim is to become MCPD: Enterprise App Dev... I feel that if you are
    > just one exam away from MCSD .Net then effectively you are 3 exams away
    > from
    > MCPD: Enterprise App Dev... Instead of taking the longer route of 4 exams
    > I
    > would take the 3 exam route... But that's just me...
    >
    > Vishal R Joshi
    > Product Planner - Technical
    > VS.Net 2005 Certifications, Microsoft
    >
    >
    > "Don Huan" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm a MCAD and have only one exam (70-300) left until m MCSD. What is
    >> the best path for me to upgrade to MCPD: Enterprise Application
    >> Developer? Is it the upgrade option as you mention it here (leave my
    >> MCAD "as is" and then take 70-551, 70-552, 70-529, 70-549...)
    >> OR should I make 70-300 and then take 2 UPGRADES (70-553, 70-554 as here
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcpd/entapp/ )
    >>
    >> What's the best way?
    >>
    >> greetings,
    >>
    >> Konstantin
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Vishal R Joshi [MSFT] wrote:
    >> > There is no direct upgrade path from MCAD to MCPD: Enterprise
    >> > Application
    >> > Developer- This is a true statement
    >> >
    >> > However if a MCAD wants to move to MCPD: Enterprise Application
    >> > Developer
    >> > there are a few options:
    >> >
    >> > Regular Option
    >> > Take regular path of 70-536, 70-526, 70-528, 70-529 and 70-549... This
    >> > option will give the MCAD person the credentials of MCTS: .NET
    >> > Framework 2.0
    >> > Web Applications, MCTS: .NET Framework 2.0 Windows Applications, MCTS:
    >> > .Net
    >> > Framework 2.0 Distributed Applications AND MCPD: Enterprise
    >> > Applications
    >> > Developer
    >> >
    >> > Upgrade Option
    >> > Same as what Sean discussued below... Take 70-551, 70-552, 70-529,
    >> > 70-549...
    >> > This will give him/her all of the following credentials MCTS in Web,
    >> > Windows
    >> > and DA plus MCPD Web Dev, Windows Dev as well as Enterprise App Dev...
    >> >
    >> > A person can also choose to use only one upgrade (eg 551 and take 526
    >> > (Windows TS instead of 552) and so on...
    >> >
    >> > We have tried to raise the bar with new certification family and make
    >> > the
    >> > exams more relevant to technology as well as job roles that developers
    >> > have... I hope the new direction will be appreciated and adopted
    >> > well...
    >> >
    >> > wishes
    >> > Vishal
    >> >
    >> >
    >> >
    >> > "EggHead" wrote:
    >> >
    >> >
    >> >>I think there is no upgrade path for MCAD to MCPD: Enterprise
    >> >>Applications
    >> >>Developer. There are upgrade paths for MCAD to MCPD: Web/Windows
    >> >>Developer.
    >> >>Unless 70-549 includes 70-548 and 70-547, each MCPD: ??? developer path
    >> >>has
    >> >>their own exam.
    >> >>Egghead
    >> >>
    >> >>"Sean" <> wrote in message
    >> >>news:...
    >> >>
    >> >>>MCPD: Enterprise is basically the new MCSD the best I can translate is
    >> >>>that
    >> >>>if a MCAD wanted to move up to the equivalent of the MCSD 2.0 that
    >> >>>would
    >> >>>mean
    >> >>>taking the following exams
    >> >>>70-529
    >> >>>70-552
    >> >>>70-551
    >> >>>70-549
    >> >>>
    >> >>>4 exams which is about what I expected because MCAD to MCSD would be
    >> >>>two
    >> >>>exams and then two exams for the upgrade. But I do want to confirm the
    >> >>>exam
    >> >>>numbers I have above such that I understand what I am reading
    >> >>>properly.
    >> >>>
    >> >>>Thanks
    >> >>>
    >> >>
    >> >>
    >> >>

    >>
     
    Blackmetal, Oct 26, 2005
    #8
  9. Sean

    Don Huan Guest

    Thank you, it's a rational advice.

    Greetings,
    Konstantin Gonikman



    Vishal R Joshi [MSFT] wrote:
    > Disclaimer: Below mentioned is my personal opinion and not Microsoft's
    > Official Recommendation...
    >
    > If the aim is to become MCPD: Enterprise App Dev... I feel that if you are
    > just one exam away from MCSD .Net then effectively you are 3 exams away from
    > MCPD: Enterprise App Dev... Instead of taking the longer route of 4 exams I
    > would take the 3 exam route... But that's just me...
    >
    > Vishal R Joshi
    > Product Planner - Technical
    > VS.Net 2005 Certifications, Microsoft
    >
    >
    > "Don Huan" wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I'm a MCAD and have only one exam (70-300) left until m MCSD. What is
    >>the best path for me to upgrade to MCPD: Enterprise Application
    >>Developer? Is it the upgrade option as you mention it here (leave my
    >>MCAD "as is" and then take 70-551, 70-552, 70-529, 70-549...)
    >>OR should I make 70-300 and then take 2 UPGRADES (70–553, 70–554 as here
    >>http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcpd/entapp/ )
    >>
    >>What's the best way?
    >>
    >>greetings,
    >>
    >>Konstantin
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>Vishal R Joshi [MSFT] wrote:
    >>
    >>>There is no direct upgrade path from MCAD to MCPD: Enterprise Application
    >>>Developer- This is a true statement
    >>>
    >>>However if a MCAD wants to move to MCPD: Enterprise Application Developer
    >>>there are a few options:
    >>>
    >>>Regular Option
    >>>Take regular path of 70-536, 70-526, 70-528, 70-529 and 70-549... This
    >>>option will give the MCAD person the credentials of MCTS: .NET Framework 2.0
    >>>Web Applications, MCTS: .NET Framework 2.0 Windows Applications, MCTS: .Net
    >>>Framework 2.0 Distributed Applications AND MCPD: Enterprise Applications
    >>>Developer
    >>>
    >>>Upgrade Option
    >>>Same as what Sean discussued below... Take 70-551, 70-552, 70-529, 70-549...
    >>>This will give him/her all of the following credentials MCTS in Web, Windows
    >>>and DA plus MCPD Web Dev, Windows Dev as well as Enterprise App Dev...
    >>>
    >>>A person can also choose to use only one upgrade (eg 551 and take 526
    >>>(Windows TS instead of 552) and so on...
    >>>
    >>>We have tried to raise the bar with new certification family and make the
    >>>exams more relevant to technology as well as job roles that developers
    >>>have... I hope the new direction will be appreciated and adopted well...
    >>>
    >>>wishes
    >>>Vishal
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>"EggHead" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>I think there is no upgrade path for MCAD to MCPD: Enterprise Applications
    >>>>Developer. There are upgrade paths for MCAD to MCPD: Web/Windows Developer.
    >>>>Unless 70-549 includes 70-548 and 70-547, each MCPD: ??? developer path has
    >>>>their own exam.
    >>>>Egghead
    >>>>
    >>>>"Sean" <> wrote in message
    >>>>news:...
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>>MCPD: Enterprise is basically the new MCSD the best I can translate is
    >>>>>that
    >>>>>if a MCAD wanted to move up to the equivalent of the MCSD 2.0 that would
    >>>>>mean
    >>>>>taking the following exams
    >>>>>70-529
    >>>>>70-552
    >>>>>70-551
    >>>>>70-549
    >>>>>
    >>>>>4 exams which is about what I expected because MCAD to MCSD would be two
    >>>>>exams and then two exams for the upgrade. But I do want to confirm the
    >>>>>exam
    >>>>>numbers I have above such that I understand what I am reading properly.
    >>>>>
    >>>>>Thanks
    >>>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
     
    Don Huan, Oct 26, 2005
    #9
  10. Sean

    JRC Guest

    Sean,

    I've come to the same conclusion on your set of exams. I'm about to
    complete my MCAD in a couple of weeks. I looked at taking two more exams to
    finish my MCSD, but I'd prefer to put my effort into learning new technology,
    there are only so many hours in the day. Another thing I don't like about
    the MCSD upgrade path is that it takes two exams that I have to believe would
    be pretty tough and you have to pass both before you have anything tangible
    to add to your resume. From where I stand right now I'd have to pass 4 exams
    and I'd have two certifications that will start to lose their luster (MCAD
    and MCSD) and one new certification. With your set of exams I'd end up with
    3 new certifications and my MCAD, sounds like a better long term plan to me.


    "Sean" wrote:

    >
    > MCPD: Enterprise is basically the new MCSD the best I can translate is that
    > if a MCAD wanted to move up to the equivalent of the MCSD 2.0 that would mean
    > taking the following exams
    > 70-529
    > 70-552
    > 70-551
    > 70-549
    >
    > 4 exams which is about what I expected because MCAD to MCSD would be two
    > exams and then two exams for the upgrade. But I do want to confirm the exam
    > numbers I have above such that I understand what I am reading properly.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
     
    JRC, Oct 27, 2005
    #10
  11. Sean

    Sean Guest

    I agree with that assessment.

    For myself I would have to take 2 exams to get MCSD and my thinking is that
    for the next X months I would rather prepare as much as I can for the .NET
    2.0 exams and see where I want to go at that point. Because I am certain I
    want the 2.0 "upgrade" for MCAD but not 100% certain I want Enterprise yet.

    On the cert structure itself, I like it. I like how one gets a new title for
    each exam which specifies exactly what one has proven. For my MCAD I took
    windows and web apps but I don’t feel nearly as comfortable under ASP.NET as
    I do Windows apps so I think separating the two is perfect.

    I have friends who think the gap between being MCP and MCAD is to large
    given that one is MCP for any exam whatsoever, so they are thinking of going
    the technical route.

    The only issue is employers not having a clue what all these certifications
    mean. I still get “whats MCADâ€.
     
    Sean, Oct 27, 2005
    #11
  12. Sean

    Don Huan Guest

    Sean wrote:
    > On the cert structure itself, I like it. I like how one gets a new title for
    > each exam which specifies exactly what one has proven.


    I like it too, but I would find it faithfully to pay not the same for an
    exam that expires in a few years...


    > The only issue is employers not having a clue what all these certifications
    > mean. I still get “whats MCADâ€.


    I agree with you. It's not understandable for me why MS doesn't
    propagate its certs as it certainly could. I feel like i'm doing cert
    only for myself, there's no impacts on the employment-like things (like
    hiring or salary...)
     
    Don Huan, Oct 27, 2005
    #12
  13. Sean

    Sean Guest

    At this point in time I agree with your choice.

    3 Months ago I tried for test 70-229 SQL but failed. I decided to not
    continue studying material that will soon be legacy. In fact, I might not
    even go all the way for Enterprise becasue I perfer to be more in the code
    (hands on).

    My only concern with all this is that firms that are not cert savy are going
    to have no clue what these cert titles mean. :)


    "JRC" wrote:

    > Sean,
    >
    > I've come to the same conclusion on your set of exams. I'm about to
    > complete my MCAD in a couple of weeks. I looked at taking two more exams to
    > finish my MCSD, but I'd prefer to put my effort into learning new technology,
    > there are only so many hours in the day. Another thing I don't like about
    > the MCSD upgrade path is that it takes two exams that I have to believe would
    > be pretty tough and you have to pass both before you have anything tangible
    > to add to your resume. From where I stand right now I'd have to pass 4 exams
    > and I'd have two certifications that will start to lose their luster (MCAD
    > and MCSD) and one new certification. With your set of exams I'd end up with
    > 3 new certifications and my MCAD, sounds like a better long term plan to me.
    >
    >
    > "Sean" wrote:
    >
    > >
    > > MCPD: Enterprise is basically the new MCSD the best I can translate is that
    > > if a MCAD wanted to move up to the equivalent of the MCSD 2.0 that would mean
    > > taking the following exams
    > > 70-529
    > > 70-552
    > > 70-551
    > > 70-549
    > >
    > > 4 exams which is about what I expected because MCAD to MCSD would be two
    > > exams and then two exams for the upgrade. But I do want to confirm the exam
    > > numbers I have above such that I understand what I am reading properly.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
     
    Sean, Oct 31, 2005
    #13
  14. Sean

    Sean Guest

    Clarification: I am also MCAD. I bring that up because those reading who are
    not yet certified I personally feel should keep on going if they are close.
    Doing one upgrade exam will be easier then starting all over, 2.0 after all
    is not a complete rewrite of the technology.

    "Sean" wrote:

    > At this point in time I agree with your choice.
    >
    > 3 Months ago I tried for test 70-229 SQL but failed. I decided to not
    > continue studying material that will soon be legacy. In fact, I might not
    > even go all the way for Enterprise becasue I perfer to be more in the code
    > (hands on).
    >
    > My only concern with all this is that firms that are not cert savy are going
    > to have no clue what these cert titles mean. :)
    >
    >
    > "JRC" wrote:
    >
    > > Sean,
    > >
    > > I've come to the same conclusion on your set of exams. I'm about to
    > > complete my MCAD in a couple of weeks. I looked at taking two more exams to
    > > finish my MCSD, but I'd prefer to put my effort into learning new technology,
    > > there are only so many hours in the day. Another thing I don't like about
    > > the MCSD upgrade path is that it takes two exams that I have to believe would
    > > be pretty tough and you have to pass both before you have anything tangible
    > > to add to your resume. From where I stand right now I'd have to pass 4 exams
    > > and I'd have two certifications that will start to lose their luster (MCAD
    > > and MCSD) and one new certification. With your set of exams I'd end up with
    > > 3 new certifications and my MCAD, sounds like a better long term plan to me.
    > >
    > >
    > > "Sean" wrote:
    > >
    > > >
    > > > MCPD: Enterprise is basically the new MCSD the best I can translate is that
    > > > if a MCAD wanted to move up to the equivalent of the MCSD 2.0 that would mean
    > > > taking the following exams
    > > > 70-529
    > > > 70-552
    > > > 70-551
    > > > 70-549
    > > >
    > > > 4 exams which is about what I expected because MCAD to MCSD would be two
    > > > exams and then two exams for the upgrade. But I do want to confirm the exam
    > > > numbers I have above such that I understand what I am reading properly.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks
    > > >
     
    Sean, Oct 31, 2005
    #14
  15. Sean

    JRC Guest

    Sean,

    I agree that it is worthwhile for people to continue on to get an MCAD if
    they are already close (they already have already passed 2 exams or are about
    to take their second) or if their organization will be slow to move to Visual
    Studio 2005.

    My philosophy on certs in general is that they are first and foremost a
    learning tool for me. I have been in and out of the interviewing process a
    number of times over the pat few years, but still work for the same company.
    I have yet to come across an employer in an interview who would change their
    hiring process for me just because I passed a cert exam.

    "Sean" wrote:

    > Clarification: I am also MCAD. I bring that up because those reading who are
    > not yet certified I personally feel should keep on going if they are close.
    > Doing one upgrade exam will be easier then starting all over, 2.0 after all
    > is not a complete rewrite of the technology.
    >
    > "Sean" wrote:
    >
    > > At this point in time I agree with your choice.
    > >
    > > 3 Months ago I tried for test 70-229 SQL but failed. I decided to not
    > > continue studying material that will soon be legacy. In fact, I might not
    > > even go all the way for Enterprise becasue I perfer to be more in the code
    > > (hands on).
    > >
    > > My only concern with all this is that firms that are not cert savy are going
    > > to have no clue what these cert titles mean. :)
    > >
    > >
    > > "JRC" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Sean,
    > > >
    > > > I've come to the same conclusion on your set of exams. I'm about to
    > > > complete my MCAD in a couple of weeks. I looked at taking two more exams to
    > > > finish my MCSD, but I'd prefer to put my effort into learning new technology,
    > > > there are only so many hours in the day. Another thing I don't like about
    > > > the MCSD upgrade path is that it takes two exams that I have to believe would
    > > > be pretty tough and you have to pass both before you have anything tangible
    > > > to add to your resume. From where I stand right now I'd have to pass 4 exams
    > > > and I'd have two certifications that will start to lose their luster (MCAD
    > > > and MCSD) and one new certification. With your set of exams I'd end up with
    > > > 3 new certifications and my MCAD, sounds like a better long term plan to me.
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > "Sean" wrote:
    > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > MCPD: Enterprise is basically the new MCSD the best I can translate is that
    > > > > if a MCAD wanted to move up to the equivalent of the MCSD 2.0 that would mean
    > > > > taking the following exams
    > > > > 70-529
    > > > > 70-552
    > > > > 70-551
    > > > > 70-549
    > > > >
    > > > > 4 exams which is about what I expected because MCAD to MCSD would be two
    > > > > exams and then two exams for the upgrade. But I do want to confirm the exam
    > > > > numbers I have above such that I understand what I am reading properly.
    > > > >
    > > > > Thanks
    > > > >
     
    JRC, Oct 31, 2005
    #15
  16. Sean

    Sean Guest

    I bet most employers dont do this becuase so few people get certified before
    having any real work experience (like myself).
    But I think they should consider a full cert to = X many months of
    experience. Maybe that is just my bias becuase I wanna job :)



    "JRC" wrote:

    > Sean,
    >
    > I agree that it is worthwhile for people to continue on to get an MCAD if
    > they are already close (they already have already passed 2 exams or are about
    > to take their second) or if their organization will be slow to move to Visual
    > Studio 2005.
    >
    > My philosophy on certs in general is that they are first and foremost a
    > learning tool for me. I have been in and out of the interviewing process a
    > number of times over the pat few years, but still work for the same company.
    > I have yet to come across an employer in an interview who would change their
    > hiring process for me just because I passed a cert exam.
    >
    > "Sean" wrote:
    >
    > > Clarification: I am also MCAD. I bring that up because those reading who are
    > > not yet certified I personally feel should keep on going if they are close.
    > > Doing one upgrade exam will be easier then starting all over, 2.0 after all
    > > is not a complete rewrite of the technology.
    > >
    > > "Sean" wrote:
    > >
    > > > At this point in time I agree with your choice.
    > > >
    > > > 3 Months ago I tried for test 70-229 SQL but failed. I decided to not
    > > > continue studying material that will soon be legacy. In fact, I might not
    > > > even go all the way for Enterprise becasue I perfer to be more in the code
    > > > (hands on).
    > > >
    > > > My only concern with all this is that firms that are not cert savy are going
    > > > to have no clue what these cert titles mean. :)
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > "JRC" wrote:
    > > >
    > > > > Sean,
    > > > >
    > > > > I've come to the same conclusion on your set of exams. I'm about to
    > > > > complete my MCAD in a couple of weeks. I looked at taking two more exams to
    > > > > finish my MCSD, but I'd prefer to put my effort into learning new technology,
    > > > > there are only so many hours in the day. Another thing I don't like about
    > > > > the MCSD upgrade path is that it takes two exams that I have to believe would
    > > > > be pretty tough and you have to pass both before you have anything tangible
    > > > > to add to your resume. From where I stand right now I'd have to pass 4 exams
    > > > > and I'd have two certifications that will start to lose their luster (MCAD
    > > > > and MCSD) and one new certification. With your set of exams I'd end up with
    > > > > 3 new certifications and my MCAD, sounds like a better long term plan to me.
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > "Sean" wrote:
    > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > > MCPD: Enterprise is basically the new MCSD the best I can translate is that
    > > > > > if a MCAD wanted to move up to the equivalent of the MCSD 2.0 that would mean
    > > > > > taking the following exams
    > > > > > 70-529
    > > > > > 70-552
    > > > > > 70-551
    > > > > > 70-549
    > > > > >
    > > > > > 4 exams which is about what I expected because MCAD to MCSD would be two
    > > > > > exams and then two exams for the upgrade. But I do want to confirm the exam
    > > > > > numbers I have above such that I understand what I am reading properly.
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Thanks
    > > > > >
     
    Sean, Nov 1, 2005
    #16
  17. Sean

    JRC Guest

    Sean,

    I think Certs do help you get in the door to have an interview and they help
    prepare you for a lot of the standard questions that you get asked in an
    interview. I don't think you'll find too many employers that will accept
    certification in place of experience, but the fact that you took the time to
    study and successfully passed the exams does show that you take your field
    seriously and that you are willing to work hard in pursuit of a goal.

    Good luck in your job hunting.

    "Sean" wrote:

    > I bet most employers dont do this becuase so few people get certified before
    > having any real work experience (like myself).
    > But I think they should consider a full cert to = X many months of
    > experience. Maybe that is just my bias becuase I wanna job :)
    >
    >
    >
    > "JRC" wrote:
    >
    > > Sean,
    > >
    > > I agree that it is worthwhile for people to continue on to get an MCAD if
    > > they are already close (they already have already passed 2 exams or are about
    > > to take their second) or if their organization will be slow to move to Visual
    > > Studio 2005.
    > >
    > > My philosophy on certs in general is that they are first and foremost a
    > > learning tool for me. I have been in and out of the interviewing process a
    > > number of times over the pat few years, but still work for the same company.
    > > I have yet to come across an employer in an interview who would change their
    > > hiring process for me just because I passed a cert exam.
    > >
    > > "Sean" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Clarification: I am also MCAD. I bring that up because those reading who are
    > > > not yet certified I personally feel should keep on going if they are close.
    > > > Doing one upgrade exam will be easier then starting all over, 2.0 after all
    > > > is not a complete rewrite of the technology.
    > > >
    > > > "Sean" wrote:
    > > >
    > > > > At this point in time I agree with your choice.
    > > > >
    > > > > 3 Months ago I tried for test 70-229 SQL but failed. I decided to not
    > > > > continue studying material that will soon be legacy. In fact, I might not
    > > > > even go all the way for Enterprise becasue I perfer to be more in the code
    > > > > (hands on).
    > > > >
    > > > > My only concern with all this is that firms that are not cert savy are going
    > > > > to have no clue what these cert titles mean. :)
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > "JRC" wrote:
    > > > >
    > > > > > Sean,
    > > > > >
    > > > > > I've come to the same conclusion on your set of exams. I'm about to
    > > > > > complete my MCAD in a couple of weeks. I looked at taking two more exams to
    > > > > > finish my MCSD, but I'd prefer to put my effort into learning new technology,
    > > > > > there are only so many hours in the day. Another thing I don't like about
    > > > > > the MCSD upgrade path is that it takes two exams that I have to believe would
    > > > > > be pretty tough and you have to pass both before you have anything tangible
    > > > > > to add to your resume. From where I stand right now I'd have to pass 4 exams
    > > > > > and I'd have two certifications that will start to lose their luster (MCAD
    > > > > > and MCSD) and one new certification. With your set of exams I'd end up with
    > > > > > 3 new certifications and my MCAD, sounds like a better long term plan to me.
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > > "Sean" wrote:
    > > > > >
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > MCPD: Enterprise is basically the new MCSD the best I can translate is that
    > > > > > > if a MCAD wanted to move up to the equivalent of the MCSD 2.0 that would mean
    > > > > > > taking the following exams
    > > > > > > 70-529
    > > > > > > 70-552
    > > > > > > 70-551
    > > > > > > 70-549
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > 4 exams which is about what I expected because MCAD to MCSD would be two
    > > > > > > exams and then two exams for the upgrade. But I do want to confirm the exam
    > > > > > > numbers I have above such that I understand what I am reading properly.
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > Thanks
    > > > > > >
     
    JRC, Nov 2, 2005
    #17
  18. Sean

    nelda Guest

    All I can say is that I landed on my current job and beat all my
    'competitors' is because I have MCAD. So I disagree with people that say it
    is not recognize by employers. The thing is: if they don't know what MCAD is,
    it is a good chance that you're on the wrong company.
     
    nelda, Dec 8, 2005
    #18
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Jeff H
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    2,228
    =?Utf-8?B?SGFuc2Vs?=
    Jan 2, 2006
  2. =?Utf-8?B?anNxMjAwNg==?=

    Path for MCPD - Enterprise Developer

    =?Utf-8?B?anNxMjAwNg==?=, Apr 17, 2006, in forum: MCSD
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,872
    David San Filippo
    Apr 18, 2006
  3. =?Utf-8?B?Qm9i?=

    MCPD: Enterprise Application Developer

    =?Utf-8?B?Qm9i?=, Sep 28, 2006, in forum: MCSD
    Replies:
    15
    Views:
    2,382
  4. Chris Mullins

    MCPD:Enterprise Charter Member

    Chris Mullins, Oct 9, 2006, in forum: MCSD
    Replies:
    14
    Views:
    1,849
  5. Jeff H
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    380
    Hansel
    Jan 2, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page