    How off am I here?

    Thanks,
    Finn J Johnsen
    Finn J Johnsen, Oct 29, 2004

  2. Hi Finn,

    There's no telling whether Microsoft will make any changes to existing exams
    or develop new exams for VS.Next. Exams aren't released until software goes
    live, so you've got a long wait for new exams if there are new exams at all.

    Furthermore, I've seen exams for various versions of SQL Server and Visual
    Studio all running concurrently, so the older exams won't necessarily be
    retired as soon as new exams are developed.

    What are your goals for certification? How does waiting for something that
    may not happen, or not waiting help you achieve your goals?

    www.cindywinegarden.com

    Cindy Winegarden, Oct 29, 2004

  3. Cindy Winegarden wrote:

    > What are your goals for certification? How does waiting for something that
    > may not happen, or not waiting help you achieve your goals?

    I'm just trying to get a hold of how often these exams (e.g 70-314,
    70-315) and titles (such as MCAD) are renewed, and "old" ones are
    regarded out-of-date.

    I've not priorly taken any kinds of certifictions, so this new to me. My
    goals are to prove/document my programming skills within C#/.NET.

    Studying for this exam would force me to learn features which my job not
    neccesarily would make me go into. That is another (not less important)
    "carrot" for me.

    Enough about me, what are your goals then? ;)

    Regards,
    Finn Johnsen
    Finn J Johnsen, Oct 31, 2004
  4. Hi Finn,

    Here's Microsoft's front page to the Discontinued exams section:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcpexams/status/retired.asp .

    This may help you see how fast exams are retired, although I wish it showed
    when they were originally launched:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcpexams/status/examsretired.asp

    Learning features that I wouldn't use in my job was one of my goals also. I
    am a lone developer working for a bunch of managers/accountants who have no
    real idea if I'm good at what I do. Becoming certified gives them a better
    idea of my skill level.

    Cindy Winegarden, Nov 1, 2004
  5. Finn J Johnsen

    Sean Guest

    plus the learning is not in vane. Granted .NET is a major overhaul but now
    that I have been learning the point of .NET I get a good feeling that we will
    not be seeing a major overhaul for a long time. So at this point, I think its
    good to study it now and if it changes, the new learning curve will not be
    that large.
    In short, .NET in of itself is very good to know regardless if they are
    planning a new upgrade tomorrow, the basic .NET platform is going to stay for
    a long time I think

    Sean, Nov 6, 2004
  6. Sean wrote:

    > In short, .NET in of itself is very good to know regardless if they are
    > planning a new upgrade tomorrow, the basic .NET platform is going to stay for
    > a long time I think

    Sounds resonable.

    Got myself the books from QUE last week. Merely got myself a hernia
    carrying them from the post office. *off to the gym*

    Anyway. Attemting 70-316 before christmas, but don't tell anyone. Given
    the exams aren't that expensive, failing would let me in on how the
    exams are organized and how off I am. Giving it a good go though, not
    giving up in advance - of course!

    Thanks for your views,
    Finn Johnsen
    Finn J Johnsen, Nov 8, 2004