MCAD: Need your opinion

Discussion in 'MCAD' started by Brett Baisley, May 6, 2005.

  1. Hello,

    My name is Brett and I am thinking about trying to obtain my MCAD
    certification. I have a few questions that I just can't seem to answer from
    the web site, so if you would be so kind to provide your insight, that will
    be great!

    Some Background First
    I am a recent university graduate from a computer science degree program. I
    have been coding personal projects for a while, and I have 4 years of formal
    training from school (mostly Java and VB6). I have done some developing at
    summer jobs that I had, I am currently working in the IT industry now.

    1. Is MCAD for me? How much .NET programming experience should you have
    before you try for an MCAD cert? I have a lot of Java experience and VB, but
    my exposure to .NET has been pretty limited so far (just 1 year at
    university)

    2. I would like to go with the C# stream (opposed to VB) as that is my
    weaker language and I really want to strengthen my skills in it. It seems
    that a lot more jobs around here are asking for C# experience, so I think
    that it will be a good idea to learn and get certified. Would you agree, or
    would it be too hard to achieve with my limited C# exposure?

    3. All of the books I've seen so far are all titles like "MCAD study guide
    for C#.NET and Visual Studio.NET". I can get C#.NET 2003 pretty cheap
    through the employee plan at work, unfortunately, they don't offer VS.NET as
    part of this plan. Is having C# enough, or is VS.NET required as part of the
    MCAD exams?

    4. Can you please recommend some good study books worth purchasing? I read
    some reviews online, and it seems that some books are much better then
    others.

    Thanks for all your help!
    Brett

    Brett Baisley, May 6, 2005