MCAD/MCSD_Self-Paced_Training_Kit:_ISDN:_978-0-7356-1926-5_Need_Help?

Discussion in 'MCAD' started by Stewart Berman, Nov 6, 2008.

  1. I tried sending this as an email to . and it got rejected.

    Can someone here answer?

    Hi. This is the qmail-send program at xmail07.myhosting.com.

    <.>:
    168.144.1.236 does not like recipient.
    Remote host said: 501 <.>: domain missing or malformed
    Giving up on 168.144.1.236.

    Subject: =?iso-8859-1?Q?MCAD/MCSD_Self-Paced_Training_Kit:_ISDN:_978-0-7356-1926-5_Need_Help?=
    Sender: "=?iso-8859-1?Q?sabMSDN@saberman=2Ecom?=" <>
    From: "=?iso-8859-1?Q?sabMSDN@saberman=2Ecom?=" <>
    Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 13:55:15 -0500
    To: "=?iso-8859-1?Q?rkinput@microsoft=2Ecom=2E?=" <.>
    CC: "=?iso-8859-1?Q?sab@saberman=2Ecom?=" <>

    I am in the Microsfot Partner Program and have installed Visual Studio 2008 =
    Professional=2E I am trying to work my way through:

    MCAD/MCSD Self-Paced Training Kit: Developing Windows=AE-Based Applications =
    with Microsoft=AE Visual Basic=AE =2ENET and Microsoft Visual C#=AE =2ENET, =
    Second Ed

    Unfortunately, the book is out of date as it was written for Visual Studio 2=
    005=2E I have been able to work around most of the differences but the labs=
    in the section on Data Access Using ADO=2ENET (Chapter 6) seem to be totall=
    y wrong=2E

    I followed the instructions for searching for eratica for ISDN 978-0-7356-19=
    26-5 and came up empty=2E

    Is there an update available for this book or at least a replacement for Cha=
    pter 6=3F
    Stewart Berman, Nov 6, 2008

  2. "Stewart Berman" <> wrote in message

    <message edited to remove annoying embedded hex characters>

    > I am in the Microsfot Partner Program and have installed Visual Studio
    > 2008 Professional. I am trying to work my way through:
    >
    > MCAD/MCSD Self-Paced Training Kit: Developing Windows-Based Applications
    > with Microsoft Visual Basic .NET and Microsoft Visual C#.NET, Second Ed
    >
    > Unfortunately, the book is out of date as it was written for Visual Studio
    > 2005.
    > I have been able to work around most of the differences but the labs in
    > the
    > section on Data Access Using ADO.NET (Chapter 6) seem to be totally wrong.
    >
    > I followed the instructions for searching for eratica for ISDN
    > 978-0-7356-19=
    > 26-5 and came up empty.
    >
    > Is there an update available for this book or at least a replacement for
    > Chapter 6?

    Stewart, your observation that this book is written for Visual Studio =2005=
    is exactly the relevant point of your entire question. Just as a book
    written for "Windows 2000" is not going to be updated for "Windows 2003",
    neither is a book written for "Visual Studio 2005" going to be updated for
    "Visual Studio 2008".

    Furthermore the MCAD/MCSD certifications that this book is being written for
    have been deprecated (and their corresponding exams will be retired on
    3/31/09).

    Might I suggest that if you're looking for "Data Access Using ADO.NET"
    scenarios for Visual Studio 2008, that you actually acquire the relevant
    MCTS/MCPD books for Visual Studio 2008/ADO.NET v3.5 (not Visual Studio
    2005/ADO.NET v2.0), or other books relevant to VS2008/ADO.NET v3.5.

    For example: MCTS: 70-561 Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5, ADO.NET Application
    Development (http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exams/70-561.mspx)
    refers us to these MSPress publications:

    MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-561): Microsoft .NET Framework
    v3.5--ADO.NET Application Development
    (http://www.microsoft.com/MSPress/books/12488.aspx)
    ISBN: 978-0-7356-2563-1

    and

    Programming the Microsoft ADO.NET Entity Framework
    (http://www.microsoft.com/MSPress/books/12085.aspx)
    ISBN: 978-0-7356-2529-7

    Note, also, this MSPress eLibrary offer available from Books24x7, that can
    give you electronic access to a number of related MSPress development
    titles.

    Trial Offer: http://microsofteref.books24x7.com/promo/mvptry499

    Discount Offer: http://microsofteref.books24x7.com/promo/mvpbuy499

    Note: This offer ends December 31, 2008.

    Unfortunately, it appears that neither of these titles are available (today)
    in that eLibrary offer; however, I expect they'll appear any day now.

    In addition, you may find this non-MSPress book of some use:

    Visual Studio 2008 Unleashed
    ISBN: 978-0-672-32972-2
    which contains an entire chapter on working with databases (aka ADO.NET),
    along with 29 other chapters of interest in working in Visual Studio 2008.

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com
    Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\), Nov 6, 2008

  3. MCAD/MCSD are not certifications for Visual Studio 2005. Instead, those are
    Visual Studio .NET 2003 certifications.
    Between .NET 2003 and .NET 2008 there is a huge difference.

    I'd suggest you to decide reght now which certification are you aiming at,
    'cause MCSD/MCAD are being retired ending March.
    I'm not telling this certification won't be recognized, i'm just telling it
    may be too few time (it depends completely on your experience and
    dedication).
    So you should consider if you continue or if you aim towards MCTS/MCPD
    certifications (VS2005 or VS2008).

    I hope this brief post helped you out. Bye.

    noticias:...

    Ricardo D. Masabel Avendaño, Nov 10, 2008