MCAD/MCSD Self Paced Training Kit

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by Mac, Oct 30, 2003.

  1. Mac

    Mac Guest

    Hello,

    I am sorry If this has been discussed in past. I am going to buy "MCAD/MCSD
    Self paced Training Kit: Microsoft Core Requrments Exams: 70-305 ...." from
    Amazon ($119 after discount) which contains CD and DVDs.

    The $130 (Cost + Postal Fees) is something about a half of my monthly salary
    so I should decide carefully :) I will appereciate if people can help.

    I will go for my first MCSD exam in next 2-3 months (C# major).

    1- Is there a better alternative to these books (so that I do not need other
    material)?

    2- These are MSPress books or what? There are other books with same content
    from MSPress?

    3- How about practice tests? Are there any test materials included with this
    packege?

    4- Finally would somone please point me to some sample test materials for
    70-315 and 70-316 on web (windows applications prefered) so that I can
    have a sense of those exams?

    Regards,
    Mac
    Mac, Oct 30, 2003

  2. Mac

    Mac Guest

    Keith

    Thank you very much for the help. It's really appereciated.

    Regards,
    Mac

    Mac, Oct 31, 2003
  4. Mac wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I am sorry If this has been discussed in past. I am going to buy "MCAD/MCSD
    > Self paced Training Kit: Microsoft Core Requrments Exams: 70-305 ...." from
    > Amazon ($119 after discount) which contains CD and DVDs.
    >
    > The $130 (Cost + Postal Fees) is something about a half of my monthly salary
    > so I should decide carefully :) I will appereciate if people can help.
    >
    > I will go for my first MCSD exam in next 2-3 months (C# major).
    >
    > 1- Is there a better alternative to these books (so that I do not need other
    > material)?

    you might consider this instead...
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0072224436/ref=cm_bg_d/102-0138025-6944939?v=glance

    > 2- These are MSPress books or what? There are other books with same content
    > from MSPress?

    yup

    > 3- How about practice tests? Are there any test materials included with this
    > packege?

    review questions. not really practice tests.

    > 4- Finally would somone please point me to some sample test materials for
    > 70-315 and 70-316 on web (windows applications prefered) so that I can
    > have a sense of those exams?

    http://www.transcender.com/
    don't know of any free ones.

    good luck on the test(s)

    -kz
    keith d. zimmerman, Oct 31, 2003
  5. Mac

    Azeem Guest

    Goto www.bookpool.comn, you will get a more good deal for
    MS Books.

    Thanks,
    Azeem

    Azeem, Oct 31, 2003
  6. Mac

    Peng Te Guest

    Hi Mac,

    I'm studying for the MCSD.NET also and am using the Self-paced Training Kit
    as a guide, and have found that it is basically repackaged, condensed, and
    dry information that is also freely available on the MSDN and in a more
    complete form. Here's the link:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnanchor/html/netdevanchor.asp

    Peng

    Peng Te, Oct 31, 2003
  7. Mac

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >I will go for my first MCSD exam in next 2-3 months (C# major).

    Should that be C # Minor!!

    >1- Is there a better alternative to these books (so that I do not need other
    >material)?

    MSDN, plus a zillion and one other sites on the web.

    >2- These are MSPress books or what? There are other books with same content
    >from MSPress?

    The ms press training books not worth the money. Other ms press are
    excellent, just avoid anything with mcsd/mcse/mdac etc in the title.

    >3- How about practice tests? Are there any test materials included with this
    >packege?

    I fail to see why anyone needs 'practice' tests. The format of the ms
    exams so simple, even a first grader could work out what to do.
    Kline Sphere, Oct 31, 2003
  8. Mac

    Jaime Guest

    "Kline Sphere" <-> wrote in message

    > I fail to see why anyone needs 'practice' tests. The format of the ms
    > exams so simple, even a first grader could work out what to do.

    How long have you been on this newsgroup?
    lol
    Jaime, Oct 31, 2003
  9. Mac

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >How long have you been on this newsgroup?
    >lol

    I see, yep my mistake....
    Kline Sphere, Nov 2, 2003
  10. Mac

    Larry Guest

    I bought this box. So far I've passed two of the tests,
    70-300 and 70-306. For 70-306, I felt that the book was
    quite effective as a SUMMARY of the exam content. So, if
    a given chapter covers stuff you are very familiar with,
    you might be ready for the test - as far as that
    particular topic is concerned. If the chapter is dealing
    with things that you know little about, it's time to hit
    the MSDN and dig out the details, do the exercises, and
    write some little apps to get yourself to where you can
    effectively work with the classes, etc. related to that
    subject area.

    The book is a study guide...not a crib sheet with all the
    answers. As such, the 70-306 book was very useful to
    me. I was able to pass the test with this, MSDN, and a
    lot of practice - no other books, practice tests, etc.
    But the 70-300 book is garbage. I found that its content
    was VERY misleading - not in terms of what's in the exam -
    but in terms of where the emphasis is. 70-300 covers
    huge subject areas and the book was neaerly useless in
    terms of giving you any focus on what you really need to
    know to pass that test.

    There's a CD with practice tests for each of the exams.
    But they're pretty much a waste of time - lots of typos -
    questons that can't be answered with the information
    given - some stuff is just plain goofy - hardly worth
    looking at.

    So, I don't know - I've got two more tests - maybe the
    next books will be more like 306 and less like 300, we'll
    see.

    The good news is that you get four vouchers for 15%
    discounts on tests with VUE in the box. If you use all
    four, that saves you $75. Let's see...120 bucks - minus
    75 - I make it $11.25 per book. Yeah, they might be
    worth that much - MAYBE

    Larry, Nov 3, 2003