    I'm thinking about buying them to train for the MCSD. Can anyone
    not/recommend them ?

    thanks.

    Malcolm Chalmers, Jul 20, 2003

  2. I used these books to study for MCAD and MCSD. I found them useful as
    introductory guides and as outlines for deciding what to study, but they are
    not sufficient.

    The quality of the content is generally pretty low. Some of the problems
    are:

    - Many typos and bugs in the code examples.

    - Many of the exercises require you to type in hundreds of lines of code
    from the book. (I just skipped those exercises.)

    - The practice tests only give a score--they don't provide any way for you
    to find out which answers you got wrong, and what the correct answers were.

    - There were several exam questions for material that was not covered by the
    MS texts. The MS 70-300 text, in particular, seemed to have almost nothing
    to do with the actual exam. (I strongly recommend the Exam Cram 2 70-300
    book.)

    They are rather expensive, and not really worth the cost. If money is not a
    problem, then I'd recommend getting the MS books and using them as
    introductory material. Otherwise, you can probably get by using MSDN and
    some of the other publishers' better guides.

    -- Kris

    "Malcolm Chalmers" <> wrote in message
    > Has anyone purchased the "MCAD/MCSD Self-Paced Training Kit: Microsoft®

    ..NET

    Kristopher Johnson, Jul 20, 2003

  3. Malcolm Chalmers

    Mike Maddux Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    >The MS Press Self-Paced Training Kits do lack in quality in terms of
    >content and presentation. I've used a couple and they do read as if
    >they have been written by more than one person (or primate) as they
    >can contradict themselves and are prone to inconsistent use of
    >terminologies, as well as all the typos.

    These books are so bad that I'm amazed that they are produced by the same
    company that came up with .NET, which in my opinion is an amazing acomplishment.
    Not only are these books hopelessly bad, but Microsoft charges a huge amount for
    them. Microsoft demonstrates a lack of concern and respect for the programming
    community by for foisting these things on the public. Everyone who bought one
    should be given double their money back and an apology.

    Notice that the authors of these boat anchors are not mentioned on the covers.
    Could this be because no one wants their name associated with them?

    Any comments from Micro Softies, or, better yet, from authors or editors of
    these ridiculous tomes?

    Mike

    Mike Maddux, Jul 24, 2003
  4. Thanks.

    As i have only studied C before and that a few years ago, it sound like this
    might be a good place to start.

    Malcolm Chalmers, Jul 26, 2003