    there
    must be a way of getting into .NET without job experience.

    Thanks

    ms, Jan 18, 2006

  2. ms

    David Guest

    MCAD might get you the interview, but it won't get you the job, just based on
    the fact that you passed some tests. You might need to take a lower paying
    job where you can work on programming on your own. It is very hard to find a
    position where you can learn on the job, you are expected to know everything
    you need to know already.

    David
    MCAD

    David, Jan 18, 2006

  3. ms

    ms Guest

    Hi David

    Are you saying if i somehow get the interview i would fail any technical
    questions at the interview ie MCAD doesn't cover real life scenarios.
    I would have thought if i got an interview based on MCAD the interviewer
    could tell from CV that i have no practical experience ie only have the
    test.

    >It is very hard to find a
    > position where you can learn on the job, you are expected to know

    everything
    > you need to know already.

    This means that i'd need to start on some sort of graduate salary
    to get a job in this field. Is it really this bad?

    ms, Jan 18, 2006
  4. ms

    Nick Wegner Guest

    The MCAD does prepare you for a few real world senerios, but the best
    preparation is actually working in the real world. No test or class is going
    to beat real world experience. Like David said, it might help you get an
    interview, but it won't land you a job. Your knowledge, attitude and
    experience will actually get you a job.

    Regarding the graduate salary question: What were you expecting? Were you
    expecting a company to pay you $75,000 to program .Net apps when you have
    never done it before? Unless your Dad, Uncle, Mom or brother is the CEO of
    some company, you will have to climb the ladder like everyone else. I'm not
    trying to be a prick here, I'm just being realistic. Work is not a bad
    thing. Work makes you smarter, work makes you valuable. Work = experience.

    Nick Wegner, Jan 18, 2006
  5. ms

    Sean Guest

    despite what these people here are saying I will give you specific experience
    doing pretty much exactly what you are doing.

    MCAD = interviews
    Interviews = technical questions (most of the time)
    MCAD = helps answer those technical questions

    I havent yet been asked a "real life" technical question. Every question I
    have been asked are just that technical. Questions like "whats a value
    type"?, what is a validator control?, what is view state?

    The catcher here is this however, MCAD doesnt really get into much of the
    system.object namespace or basic programming issues such as "what is a value
    type". However once MCAD those can be learned in a few weeks top.

    Sean, Jan 24, 2006
  6. ms

    Sean Guest

    what I have noticed lately now that I have been looking for work is that
    employers do find MCAD attractive but have nearly zero clue what it covers
    specifically.
    Furthermore they dont seem to ask themselves the question "why does the
    largest software company on the planet find these particular elements that
    are covered in MCAD good things to know for software developement" and
    instead they personally think they can make that judgement better then
    Microsoft can and then create their own test.

    I took an employer test and pasted it. When I told him that every single
    question on that test I learned from MCAD he got offended... I kid you not.
    He was set on a CompSci canidate, I am Info Systems.

    I think this guy was an execption to the rule on degree hyperactivity but it
    does seem the general rule that employer dont know what MCAD covers and think
    that they personally know better then Microsoft does.

    These guys need to get togehter and make their own certification program
    given how smart they think they are.

    Sean, Jan 24, 2006