    system the OS the drive contains as well), I could format the drive, but I
    doubt that would help, except to perhaps make it useful as a slave drive for
    files. Any ideas?

    James Thomas, Jul 25, 2003

  2. James Thomas

    philo Guest

    "James Thomas" <> wrote in message
    news:3f2000ea_1@newsfeed...
    > My neighbor was given a hard drive that can't be accessed. A Western
    > Digital 84AA. According to the donor, the drive was a victim of fdisk

    /mbr.
    > It was originally partitioned with either Partition Magic or the WD

    version
    > of EZ Drive, the donor isn't sure. Either way, the warnings about fdisk
    > /mbr proved valid.
    >
    > The drive isn't recognized by anything. Not autodetect, not the BIOS when
    > the drive parameters are entered, not fdisk, not Partition Magic or the WD
    > utility.
    >
    > However, if jumpered as a slave and attached to my computer, I can access
    > all the files. I burned CDs and gave them to the donor/porn freak, so

    data
    > isn't a concern. Using the hard drive is. From Windows (Win98SE, the
    > system the OS the drive contains as well), I could format the drive, but I
    > doubt that would help, except to perhaps make it useful as a slave drive

    for
    > files. Any ideas?

    you might get the drive working again if you deactivate (and optionally
    uninstall) EZ Bios

    you can get the Max Blast utility from maxtor
    and then run it and when you go to set the drive up
    you will have an otion to deactivate EZ Bios
    (once deactivated, you can then uninstall it)

    don't format the drive or do anything else
    and hopefully the drive will again be usable

    philo, Jul 25, 2003

  3. James Thomas

    James Thomas Guest

    Thanks for responding. I have the Western Digital version of EZ drive, but
    it, like fdisk, can't find the drive, so none of the utilities and functions
    are available. I have the Maxtor version also (have ALL the versions) but
    it would just say "not a Maxtor drive" if it worked. I've had good luck
    with the WD version in the past, but not this time.

    James Thomas, Jul 25, 2003
  4. James Thomas

    James Thomas Guest

    I have the WD stuff. I downloaded Partition Recovery as you suggested, but
    it was unable to see the drive. By swapping drives in and out, I was
    finally able to confuse the computer into letting me access the drive with
    fdisk (as a slave) and I deleted the partition, but wasn't able to make it
    active (being a slave). No help making it visible to fdisk as a master.

    I may try the master-slave business on another computer as I note that some
    DOS disk utilities now can't load ("can't load DOS") and the computer won't
    reboot to DOS--which I haven't tried to do in a long time.

    James Thomas, Jul 26, 2003