    how do i use fdisk to clean the mbr on a hard drive
    i forgot any help will be good thanks..

    David

    David, Mar 10, 2006

  2. David

    -=rjh=- Guest

    David wrote:
    > how do i use fdisk to clean the mbr on a hard drive
    > i forgot any help will be good thanks..

    What OS? The procedure differs between OSs.

    In your browser, just type http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=mbr reset

    -=rjh=-, Mar 10, 2006

  3. David

    Peter Guest

    David wrote:

    > how do i use fdisk to clean the mbr on a hard drive
    > i forgot any help will be good thanks..
    >
    > David

    Microsoft's fdisk /MBR (note there is a Linux type version too that operates
    somewhat differently) will write in a new master boot record, but not
    replace the 'partition table' information. You need to use fdisk
    pertaining to your current operating system (unless you know what you are
    doing), using fdisk for DOS 3.0 for example may leave a Windows xp disk
    unbootable.

    If your HD is functioning normally DO NOT use it unless you have backed up
    your data (and have all installation CD's available) and also back up the
    mbr (I would use a Linux rescue CD and the dd command for this).

    Peter, Mar 10, 2006
  4. David

    Bret Guest

    On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 08:50:30 +1300, David <>
    wrote:

    >how do i use fdisk to clean the mbr on a hard drive
    >i forgot any help will be good thanks..
    >
    >David

    fdisk /mbr

    Bret, Mar 10, 2006
  5. David

    David Guest

    On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 12:13:05 +1300, Bret <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 08:50:30 +1300, David <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>how do i use fdisk to clean the mbr on a hard drive
    >>i forgot any help will be good thanks..
    >>
    >>David

    >fdisk /mbr

    thanks all..

    David, Mar 10, 2006
  6. David

    Enkidu Guest

    Bret wrote:
    > On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 08:50:30 +1300, David <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>how do i use fdisk to clean the mbr on a hard drive
    >>i forgot any help will be good thanks..

    > fdisk /mbr

    If he has XP that won't help. fdisk does not exist in XP. The way it is
    done in XP is to boot the XP CD into recovery mode.

    Otherwise he could download a boot disk from somewhere that boots win98.
    THEN he could use fdisk.

    Of course, if he doesn't have XP, then he probably does have fdisk.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 11, 2006
  7. David

    Bret Guest

    On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 13:27:23 +1300, Enkidu <>
    wrote:

    >Bret wrote:
    >> On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 08:50:30 +1300, David <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>how do i use fdisk to clean the mbr on a hard drive
    >>>i forgot any help will be good thanks..

    >> fdisk /mbr
    > >

    >If he has XP that won't help. fdisk does not exist in XP. The way it is
    >done in XP is to boot the XP CD into recovery mode.

    I assumed :(

    >Otherwise he could download a boot disk from somewhere that boots win98.
    >THEN he could use fdisk.
    >
    >Of course, if he doesn't have XP, then he probably does have fdisk.

    I think it's 98 :)

    Bret, Mar 11, 2006
  8. David

    David Guest

    On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 09:40:00 +1300, Bret <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 13:27:23 +1300, Enkidu <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Bret wrote:

    >>> fdisk /mbr
    >> >

    >>If he has XP that won't help. fdisk does not exist in XP. The way it is
    >>done in XP is to boot the XP CD into recovery mode.

    >I assumed :(
    >
    >>Otherwise he could download a boot disk from somewhere that boots win98.
    >>THEN he could use fdisk.
    >>
    >>Of course, if he doesn't have XP, then he probably does have fdisk.
    >>

    >I think it's 98 :)

    its a 20gig hard drive i put linux on then took it of
    formatted the drive but forgot the mbr command
    using win98 lite. trying out mandrake 7.2 on a 1ghz
    pc with 512meg of ram is there a better linux os
    i can put on it.

    David

    David, Mar 11, 2006
  9. David

    Enkidu Guest

    Bret wrote:
    > On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 13:27:23 +1300, Enkidu <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Bret wrote:

    >>>fdisk /mbr
    >>>

    >>If he has XP that won't help. fdisk does not exist in XP. The way it is
    >>done in XP is to boot the XP CD into recovery mode.

    > I assumed :(
    >

    >>Otherwise he could download a boot disk from somewhere that boots win98.
    >>THEN he could use fdisk.
    >>
    >>Of course, if he doesn't have XP, then he probably does have fdisk.
    >>

    > I think it's 98 :)

    What you said was 100% correct. I was just adding to what you said.. :)

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 11, 2006
  10. David

    David Guest

    On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 12:07:30 +1300, David <>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 09:40:00 +1300, Bret <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 13:27:23 +1300, Enkidu <>
    >>wrote:

    >>>If he has XP that won't help. fdisk does not exist in XP. The way it is
    >>>done in XP is to boot the XP CD into recovery mode.

    >>I assumed :(
    >>
    >>>Otherwise he could download a boot disk from somewhere that boots win98.
    >>>THEN he could use fdisk.
    >>>
    >>>Of course, if he doesn't have XP, then he probably does have fdisk.
    >>>

    >>I think it's 98 :)

    >its a 20gig hard drive i put linux on then took it of
    >formatted the drive but forgot the mbr command
    >using win98 lite. trying out mandrake 7.2 on a 1ghz
    >pc with 512meg of ram is there a better linux os
    >i can put on it.
    >
    >David

    Mandrive looks good :+)

    David, Mar 11, 2006