Maybe O/T... FF Q

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Mar 8, 2012.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I've recently upgraded from Firefox 3.something to <checks version>
    ver10.0.2. (I dislike change for change's sake, I was happy with the older
    version, it did all that I wanted it to do but I was getting nags all the
    time..)

    Anyway, I'm getting used to the new look now but would love to switch off
    the 'feature' that hides parts of the URL (such as http//:www) and also
    makes all but the main site grey rather than black. I like to chack the URL
    when I go to a site and this is pissing me off.

    I've had a quick look through the 'settings' but have to go off to the
    Doctor's now. It'd be great to come home and find the answer. ;-) That's
    assuming it can be done. If there's nothing here when I get back I'll Google
    a bit and see but that way lies traps. I can end up losing huge chunks of my
    day on Google searches, going off on tangents. Must be my ADHD.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    ~misfit~, Mar 8, 2012

  2. ~misfit~

    Malcolm Guest

    On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 13:12:27 +1300
    "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    > I've recently upgraded from Firefox 3.something to <checks version>
    > ver10.0.2. (I dislike change for change's sake, I was happy with the
    > older version, it did all that I wanted it to do but I was getting
    > nags all the time..)
    >
    > Anyway, I'm getting used to the new look now but would love to switch
    > off the 'feature' that hides parts of the URL (such as http//:www)
    > and also makes all but the main site grey rather than black. I like
    > to chack the URL when I go to a site and this is pissing me off.
    >
    > I've had a quick look through the 'settings' but have to go off to
    > the Doctor's now. It'd be great to come home and find the
    > answer. ;-) That's assuming it can be done. If there's nothing here
    > when I get back I'll Google a bit and see but that way lies traps. I
    > can end up losing huge chunks of my day on Google searches, going off
    > on tangents. Must be my ADHD.
    >
    > Cheers,

    Linux rocks.... ;)

    browser.urlbar.trimURLs;false

    Linux rocks.... ;)

    I've started using startpage.com for searches....

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 3.0.13-0.27-default
    Malcolm, Mar 8, 2012

  3. ~misfit~

    bugalugs Guest

    On 8/03/2012 4:26 p.m., Malcolm wrote:
    > On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 13:12:27 +1300
    > "~misfit~"<> wrote:
    >
    >> I've recently upgraded from Firefox 3.something to<checks version>
    >> ver10.0.2. (I dislike change for change's sake, I was happy with the
    >> older version, it did all that I wanted it to do but I was getting
    >> nags all the time..)
    >>
    >> Anyway, I'm getting used to the new look now but would love to switch
    >> off the 'feature' that hides parts of the URL (such as http//:www)
    >> and also makes all but the main site grey rather than black. I like
    >> to chack the URL when I go to a site and this is pissing me off.
    >>
    >> I've had a quick look through the 'settings' but have to go off to
    >> the Doctor's now. It'd be great to come home and find the
    >> answer. ;-) That's assuming it can be done. If there's nothing here
    >> when I get back I'll Google a bit and see but that way lies traps. I
    >> can end up losing huge chunks of my day on Google searches, going off
    >> on tangents. Must be my ADHD.
    >>
    >> Cheers,

    > Linux rocks.... ;)
    >
    > browser.urlbar.trimURLs;false
    >
    > Linux rocks.... ;)
    >
    > I've started using startpage.com for searches....

    Better take your time at the doc coz no-ones come up with anything.
    You could ask over at news.mozilla.org mozilla.support.firefox

    --
    I'm not a failure because I didn't succeed, I'm a success because I tried
    bugalugs, Mar 8, 2012
  4. In article <jj8the$jve$>,
    says...

    > I've recently upgraded from Firefox 3.something to <checks version>
    > ver10.0.2. (I dislike change for change's sake, I was happy with the older
    > version, it did all that I wanted it to do but I was getting nags all the
    > time..)
    >
    > Anyway, I'm getting used to the new look now but would love to switch off
    > the 'feature' that hides parts of the URL (such as http//:www) and also
    > makes all but the main site grey rather than black. I like to chack the URL
    > when I go to a site and this is pissing me off.
    >
    > I've had a quick look through the 'settings' but have to go off to the
    > Doctor's now. It'd be great to come home and find the answer. ;-) That's
    > assuming it can be done. If there's nothing here when I get back I'll Google
    > a bit and see but that way lies traps. I can end up losing huge chunks of my
    > day on Google searches, going off on tangents. Must be my ADHD.
    >
    > Cheers,

    type in the address bar about:config
    scroll down to browser.urlbar.{whatever} and try to play with the
    settings there.
    I toggled oneclickselectsall to false and doubleclickselectsall to true,
    and when I try to click on a youtube video the full url gets displayed
    in the url bar.
    Alas, I am still using version 4.01

    h.t.h., -Peter
    Peter Huebner, Mar 8, 2012
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <jj8the$jve$>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> I've recently upgraded from Firefox 3.something to <checks version>
    >> ver10.0.2. (I dislike change for change's sake, I was happy with the
    >> older version, it did all that I wanted it to do but I was getting
    >> nags all the time..)
    >>
    >> Anyway, I'm getting used to the new look now but would love to
    >> switch off the 'feature' that hides parts of the URL (such as
    >> http//:www) and also makes all but the main site grey rather than
    >> black. I like to chack the URL when I go to a site and this is
    >> pissing me off.
    >>
    >> I've had a quick look through the 'settings' but have to go off to
    >> the Doctor's now. It'd be great to come home and find the answer.
    >> ;-) That's assuming it can be done. If there's nothing here when I
    >> get back I'll Google a bit and see but that way lies traps. I can
    >> end up losing huge chunks of my day on Google searches, going off on
    >> tangents. Must be my ADHD.
    >>
    >> Cheers,

    > type in the address bar about:config
    > scroll down to browser.urlbar.{whatever} and try to play with the
    > settings there.
    > I toggled oneclickselectsall to false and doubleclickselectsall to
    > true, and when I try to click on a youtube video the full url gets
    > displayed in the url bar.
    > Alas, I am still using version 4.01
    >

    > h.t.h., -Peter

    Thanks Peter, I'll have a play with it tomorrow.

    Hope you're well.

    ~misfit~, Mar 8, 2012
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Malcolm wrote:
    > On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 13:12:27 +1300
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I've recently upgraded from Firefox 3.something to <checks version>
    >> ver10.0.2. (I dislike change for change's sake, I was happy with the
    >> older version, it did all that I wanted it to do but I was getting
    >> nags all the time..)
    >>
    >> Anyway, I'm getting used to the new look now but would love to switch
    >> off the 'feature' that hides parts of the URL (such as http//:www)
    >> and also makes all but the main site grey rather than black. I like
    >> to chack the URL when I go to a site and this is pissing me off.
    >>
    >> I've had a quick look through the 'settings' but have to go off to
    >> the Doctor's now. It'd be great to come home and find the
    >> answer. ;-) That's assuming it can be done. If there's nothing here
    >> when I get back I'll Google a bit and see but that way lies traps. I
    >> can end up losing huge chunks of my day on Google searches, going off
    >> on tangents. Must be my ADHD.
    >>
    >> Cheers,

    > Linux rocks.... ;)
    >
    > browser.urlbar.trimURLs;false
    >
    > Linux rocks.... ;)
    >
    > I've started using startpage.com for searches....

    LOL, smartarse! Good to see you posting my friend.

    ~misfit~, Mar 8, 2012
  7. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs bugalugs wrote:
    > On 8/03/2012 4:26 p.m., Malcolm wrote:
    >> On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 13:12:27 +1300
    >> "~misfit~"<> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've recently upgraded from Firefox 3.something to<checks version>
    >>> ver10.0.2. (I dislike change for change's sake, I was happy with the
    >>> older version, it did all that I wanted it to do but I was getting
    >>> nags all the time..)
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, I'm getting used to the new look now but would love to
    >>> switch off the 'feature' that hides parts of the URL (such as
    >>> http//:www) and also makes all but the main site grey rather than
    >>> black. I like to chack the URL when I go to a site and this is
    >>> pissing me off. I've had a quick look through the 'settings' but have to
    >>> go off to
    >>> the Doctor's now. It'd be great to come home and find the
    >>> answer. ;-) That's assuming it can be done. If there's nothing here
    >>> when I get back I'll Google a bit and see but that way lies traps. I
    >>> can end up losing huge chunks of my day on Google searches, going
    >>> off on tangents. Must be my ADHD.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,

    >> Linux rocks.... ;)
    >>
    >> browser.urlbar.trimURLs;false
    >>
    >> Linux rocks.... ;)
    >>
    >> I've started using startpage.com for searches....

    > Better take your time at the doc coz no-ones come up with anything.
    > You could ask over at news.mozilla.org mozilla.support.firefox

    I'll try Peter's idea tomorrow, then, if no luck will look on teh webz.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Mar 8, 2012
  8. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Peter Huebner wrote:
    >> In article <jj8the$jve$>,
    >> says...
    >>>
    >>> I've recently upgraded from Firefox 3.something to <checks version>
    >>> ver10.0.2. (I dislike change for change's sake, I was happy with the
    >>> older version, it did all that I wanted it to do but I was getting
    >>> nags all the time..)
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, I'm getting used to the new look now but would love to
    >>> switch off the 'feature' that hides parts of the URL (such as
    >>> http//:www) and also makes all but the main site grey rather than
    >>> black. I like to chack the URL when I go to a site and this is
    >>> pissing me off.
    >>>
    >>> I've had a quick look through the 'settings' but have to go off to
    >>> the Doctor's now. It'd be great to come home and find the answer.
    >>> ;-) That's assuming it can be done. If there's nothing here when I
    >>> get back I'll Google a bit and see but that way lies traps. I can
    >>> end up losing huge chunks of my day on Google searches, going off on
    >>> tangents. Must be my ADHD.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,

    >> type in the address bar about:config
    >> scroll down to browser.urlbar.{whatever} and try to play with the
    >> settings there.
    >> I toggled oneclickselectsall to false and doubleclickselectsall to
    >> true, and when I try to click on a youtube video the full url gets
    >> displayed in the url bar.
    >> Alas, I am still using version 4.01
    >>

    >> h.t.h., -Peter

    > Thanks Peter, I'll have a play with it tomorrow.
    >
    > Hope you're well.

    Hi again. :)

    Turns out that after going into about:config I had to find the line that
    said 'browser.urlbar.formatting.enabled' and change it to false. Now the
    whole URL is displayed and none of it is faded, as it's always been. (I
    don't trust teh webs enough to *not* be able to see all of the URL or have
    most of it faded and hard to read.)

    Thanks for the pointer.

    ~misfit~, Mar 9, 2012