maybe not too bright

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by philo, Aug 14, 2005.

  1. philo

    philo Guest

    one of my "customers" had been bugging me for a week now to come over
    and fix his computer...
    he claimed he could not get the cd out of his drive.

    even after i told him about the "paper clip" method...
    he claimed no success.

    told him i'd have to come over and have a look...
    and would prob have to replace the cdrom drive.

    when i got there...
    i noticed he had two drives in the machine...
    so i asked him which one was the bad one...

    he said: "the one on top"

    so i pushed the button and the drawer opened quite well on my first try.

    hmmm, i said... it seems to work just fine

    so i tried the 2nd device (a cdrw) and it also opened without a
    problem...and there was a cd in the drive...

    when he saw the cd...he looked shocked and asked " How did it get there?

    it's supposed to be in the *top* one ?!"

    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    philo, Aug 14, 2005

  2. philo

    old jon Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message
    > one of my "customers" had been bugging me for a week now to come over and
    > fix his computer...
    > he claimed he could not get the cd out of his drive.
    >
    > even after i told him about the "paper clip" method...
    > he claimed no success.
    >
    > told him i'd have to come over and have a look...
    > and would prob have to replace the cdrom drive.
    >
    > when i got there...
    > i noticed he had two drives in the machine...
    > so i asked him which one was the bad one...
    >
    > he said: "the one on top"
    >
    > so i pushed the button and the drawer opened quite well on my first try.
    >

    > hmmm, i said... it seems to work just fine
    >

    > so i tried the 2nd device (a cdrw) and it also opened without a
    > problem...and there was a cd in the drive...
    >
    > when he saw the cd...he looked shocked and asked " How did it get there?
    > it's supposed to be in the *top* one ?!"
    >
    > aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Not much fun, when he don`t know his top from his bottom. <g>.
    old jon, Aug 14, 2005

  3. philo wrote:
    > one of my "customers" had been bugging me for a week now to come over
    > and fix his computer...
    > he claimed he could not get the cd out of his drive.
    >
    > even after i told him about the "paper clip" method...
    > he claimed no success.
    >
    > told him i'd have to come over and have a look...
    > and would prob have to replace the cdrom drive.
    >
    > when i got there...
    > i noticed he had two drives in the machine...
    > so i asked him which one was the bad one...
    >
    > he said: "the one on top"
    >
    > so i pushed the button and the drawer opened quite well on my first try.
    >

    > hmmm, i said... it seems to work just fine
    >

    > so i tried the 2nd device (a cdrw) and it also opened without a
    > problem...and there was a cd in the drive...
    >
    > when he saw the cd...he looked shocked and asked " How did it get there?
    > it's supposed to be in the *top* one ?!"
    >
    > aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Bloody top poser, don't they make you sick? ;-)
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Aug 14, 2005
  4. philo

    philo Guest

    <snip>

    > Bloody top poser, don't they make you sick? ;-)

    well he was an older guy...
    and if i think somone is older (at my advanced age) they really are :)

    besides he did pay me a few $$$
    philo, Aug 14, 2005
  5. philo

    pcbutts1 Guest

    I hear with OE7 it has an option to bottom post.

    pcbutts1, Aug 14, 2005
  6. philo

    aleX Guest

    philo wrote:

    > when he saw the cd...he looked shocked and asked " How did it get there?
    > it's supposed to be in the *top* one ?!"

    Go to Start/Settings/Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager/DVD
    CD-ROM drives/
    then rt-click for Properties. Go to Advanced Settings tab, untick 'Disk
    Teleportation'.

    I did see a cd player that ate discs, but not on a PC - when the drawer
    was opened the cd was gone, actually what was happening was when the
    drawer opened the disc remained stuck to the 'spindle'(for want of a
    better word), then when the drawer was closed the disc got pushed out
    the back of the drive and into the case of the hi-fi. I recovered the
    discs, but they had gotten badly scratched when they were forced backwards.
    aleX, Aug 14, 2005
  7. philo

    philo Guest

    <snip>

    > Go to Start/Settings/Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager/DVD
    > CD-ROM drives/
    > then rt-click for Properties. Go to Advanced Settings tab, untick 'Disk
    > Teleportation'.
    >
    > I did see a cd player that ate discs, but not on a PC - when the drawer
    > was opened the cd was gone, actually what was happening was when the
    > drawer opened the disc remained stuck to the 'spindle'(for want of a
    > better word), then when the drawer was closed the disc got pushed out
    > the back of the drive and into the case of the hi-fi. I recovered the
    > discs, but they had gotten badly scratched when they were forced backwards.

    the guy did mutter something that sounded like:

    "Damn grandson!" :)
    philo, Aug 14, 2005
  8. philo wrote:
    > one of my "customers" had been bugging me for a week now to come over
    > and fix his computer...
    > he claimed he could not get the cd out of his drive.
    >
    > even after i told him about the "paper clip" method...
    > he claimed no success.
    >
    > told him i'd have to come over and have a look...
    > and would prob have to replace the cdrom drive.
    >
    > when i got there...
    > i noticed he had two drives in the machine...
    > so i asked him which one was the bad one...
    >
    > he said: "the one on top"
    >
    > so i pushed the button and the drawer opened quite well on my first try.
    >

    > hmmm, i said... it seems to work just fine
    >

    > so i tried the 2nd device (a cdrw) and it also opened without a
    > problem...and there was a cd in the drive...
    >
    > when he saw the cd...he looked shocked and asked " How did it get there?
    > it's supposed to be in the *top* one ?!"
    >
    > aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Just yesterday my mother-in-law (who has been using computers for ten
    years) called and said her computer just said "no signal". So I said
    maybe the video cable had come loose. No, she said she got down on her
    knees and checked, all cables are secure. So I guessed "Is the computer
    on?". She said yes, but it says no signal. That's the monitor, is the
    computer on? She said "What do you mean?" I said that big box on the
    floor, is it running? Are there any lights on? She said yes, there's a
    green light. I said okay, I'll drop in later today. Got there, pushed
    the on/off button in and it came on with normal video. She asked how'd I
    do that and I showed her. She said well the green light was on, but not
    that box, the other one. I looked and she meant the little UPS had a
    green light glowing.

    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 14, 2005
  9. philo

    philo Guest

    <snip>

    >> aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >>

    > Just yesterday my mother-in-law (who has been using computers for ten
    > years) called and said her computer just said "no signal". So I said
    > maybe the video cable had come loose. No, she said she got down on her
    > knees and checked, all cables are secure. So I guessed "Is the computer
    > on?". She said yes, but it says no signal. That's the monitor, is the
    > computer on? She said "What do you mean?" I said that big box on the
    > floor, is it running? Are there any lights on? She said yes, there's a
    > green light. I said okay, I'll drop in later today. Got there, pushed
    > the on/off button in and it came on with normal video. She asked how'd I
    > do that and I showed her. She said well the green light was on, but not
    > that box, the other one. I looked and she meant the little UPS had a
    > green light glowing.
    >
    > aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!

    i see she is still a bit brighter than my buddy...

    your aaaaiiiieeee!!! had a few less "eee's" in it i think :)
    philo, Aug 14, 2005
  10. philo

    pcbutts1 Guest

    I stole that.

    --

    "Instead of trying to bash me you should try to learn from me and
    archive my posts so you can better help people in the future. If you don't

    -
    -

    pcbutts1, Aug 14, 2005
  11. philo

    chrisv Guest

    pcbutts1 wrote:
    > I hear with OE7 it has an option to bottom post.

    You are a liar. You did NOT hear that, you top-poasting cuntfart.
    chrisv, Aug 14, 2005
  12. Rôgêr <> wrote in

    > Just yesterday my mother-in-law (who has been using computers for
    > ten years) called and said her computer just said "no signal". So
    > I said maybe the video cable had come loose. No, she said she got
    > down on her knees and checked, all cables are secure. So I guessed
    > "Is the computer on?". She said yes, but it says no signal. That's
    > the monitor, is the computer on? She said "What do you mean?" I
    > said that big box on the floor, is it running? Are there any
    > lights on? She said yes, there's a green light. I said okay, I'll
    > drop in later today. Got there, pushed the on/off button in and it
    > came on with normal video. She asked how'd I do that and I showed
    > her. She said well the green light was on, but not that box, the
    > other one. I looked and she meant the little UPS had a green light
    > glowing.
    >
    > aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!
    > !!

    What do you want? She's mother-in-law. I know, I have a live in one
    and wish she was far enough away that she had to call.

    Top

    --
    Freedom is never free....
    Top (retired), Aug 15, 2005
  13. philo

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Top (retired)" <> wrote in message
    > Rôgêr <> wrote in
    >>
    >> Just yesterday my mother-in-law (who has been using computers for
    >> ten years) called

    <snipped>

    >> aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!
    >> !!

    > What do you want? She's mother-in-law. I know, I have a live in one
    > and wish she was far enough away that she had to call.

    For sure! I did that live-in MIL thing for a couple of years. Nearly went
    nuts.
    Toolman Tim, Aug 16, 2005