Maybe *I* need stabilization

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address, Jul 11, 2005.

  1. I took my new Panasonic FZ5 out to the park Sunday morning. With a
    couple of exceptions, every shot was a disaster. Basically, I seem to
    get nervous when taking photos, and can't hold the camera still. I
    don't have cerebral palsy or whatever, just a bit nervous. I tried...

    - turning on image-stabilization
    - selected "Aperture" mode; set to F2.8 (kiss depth of focus good-bye)
    - and dropped the shutter to -2/3.

    I know that ISO 80 and a polarizing filter aren't exactly the fastest
    combo, but it was very bright out there. Ironically, the two best shots
    I took were slightly underexposed shots of a footbridge in the shade,
    where the shutter was probably slower than on any of my other shots.
    But the good shots benefited from me resting the camera on a convenient
    post.

    I know that the camera can take good photos. Is there a technique for
    relaxing when snapping photos? I don't want to lug my tripod along
    wherever I take my camera.

    --
    Walter Dnes; my email address is *ALMOST* like
    Delete the "z" to get my real address. If that gets blocked, follow
    Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address, Jul 11, 2005

  2. "Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address)"
    <> wrote in message
    > I took my new Panasonic FZ5 out to the park Sunday morning. With a
    > couple of exceptions, every shot was a disaster. Basically, I seem to
    > get nervous when taking photos, and can't hold the camera still. I
    > don't have cerebral palsy or whatever, just a bit nervous. I tried...
    >
    > - turning on image-stabilization
    > - selected "Aperture" mode; set to F2.8 (kiss depth of focus good-bye)
    > - and dropped the shutter to -2/3.
    >
    > I know that ISO 80 and a polarizing filter aren't exactly the fastest
    > combo, but it was very bright out there. Ironically, the two best shots
    > I took were slightly underexposed shots of a footbridge in the shade,
    > where the shutter was probably slower than on any of my other shots.
    > But the good shots benefited from me resting the camera on a convenient
    > post.
    >
    > I know that the camera can take good photos. Is there a technique for
    > relaxing when snapping photos? I don't want to lug my tripod along
    > wherever I take my camera.

    You wouldn't by chance be holding the camera out in front of you and
    composing the picture on the LCD would you? If so I'd suggest not doing
    that. My experience with that type of thing, with an Olympus P&S, is that
    you can never hold the camera still especially at slower shutter speeds.

    HTH

    Rob
    Robert R Kircher, Jr., Jul 11, 2005

  3. a.. Use a tripod when photographing static subjects like landscapes.
    a.. Push the shutter button gently and firmly, rather than jabbing it.
    a.. Brace yourself against something solid, like a wall or tree.
    a.. Make sure that you wait until the exposure is complete. Many
    point-and-shoot cameras have a pause between when the shutter release is
    pressed and when the picture is taken. Hold the button firmly down until you
    hear the shutter trip.

    I found the above on a Kodak site. I'll add that taking a deep breath and
    then slowly releasing it during the shutter press also can help. Also, lay
    off the caffeine.
    Charles Schuler, Jul 11, 2005
  4. Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address

    Paul Heslop Guest

    "Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address)" wrote:

    > I took my new Panasonic FZ5 out to the park Sunday morning. With a
    > couple of exceptions, every shot was a disaster. Basically, I seem to
    > get nervous when taking photos, and can't hold the camera still. I
    > don't have cerebral palsy or whatever, just a bit nervous. I tried...
    >
    > - turning on image-stabilization
    > - selected "Aperture" mode; set to F2.8 (kiss depth of focus good-bye)
    > - and dropped the shutter to -2/3.
    >
    > I know that ISO 80 and a polarizing filter aren't exactly the fastest
    > combo, but it was very bright out there. Ironically, the two best shots
    > I took were slightly underexposed shots of a footbridge in the shade,
    > where the shutter was probably slower than on any of my other shots.
    > But the good shots benefited from me resting the camera on a convenient
    > post.
    >
    > I know that the camera can take good photos. Is there a technique for
    > relaxing when snapping photos? I don't want to lug my tripod along
    > wherever I take my camera.
    >
    > --
    > Walter Dnes; my email address is *ALMOST* like
    > Delete the "z" to get my real address. If that gets blocked, follow
    > the instructions at the end of the 550 message.

    I'm the same. I don't have image stabilization though so if I am
    tripodless and feel shaky I find something to lean on or prop myself
    against. I know this isn't always possible but the instruction to hold
    your breath just makes me shake more!
    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    Stop and Look
    Paul Heslop, Jul 11, 2005
  5. Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address

    irwell Guest

    On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 13:13:59 GMT, Paul Heslop <>
    wrote:

    >"Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address)" wrote:
    >>
    >> I took my new Panasonic FZ5 out to the park Sunday morning. With a
    >> couple of exceptions, every shot was a disaster. Basically, I seem to
    >> get nervous when taking photos, and can't hold the camera still. I
    >> don't have cerebral palsy or whatever, just a bit nervous. I tried...
    >>
    >> - turning on image-stabilization
    >> - selected "Aperture" mode; set to F2.8 (kiss depth of focus good-bye)
    >> - and dropped the shutter to -2/3.
    >>
    >> I know that ISO 80 and a polarizing filter aren't exactly the fastest
    >> combo, but it was very bright out there. Ironically, the two best shots
    >> I took were slightly underexposed shots of a footbridge in the shade,
    >> where the shutter was probably slower than on any of my other shots.
    >> But the good shots benefited from me resting the camera on a convenient
    >> post.
    >>
    >> I know that the camera can take good photos. Is there a technique for
    >> relaxing when snapping photos? I don't want to lug my tripod along
    >> wherever I take my camera.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Walter Dnes; my email address is *ALMOST* like
    >> Delete the "z" to get my real address. If that gets blocked, follow
    >> the instructions at the end of the 550 message.

    >I'm the same. I don't have image stabilization though so if I am
    >tripodless and feel shaky I find something to lean on or prop myself
    >against. I know this isn't always possible but the instruction to hold
    >your breath just makes me shake more!

    Use the 2 second timer, also try the burst mode.
    irwell, Jul 11, 2005
  6. Practice. Watch how You are holding the camera. Do not breathe too deep,
    just a little bit deeper than usually. Hold Your breath when taking the
    picture; take a breath and after couple of seconds take the picture, if You
    hold Your breath for half a minute You definitely will be shaking. Press
    Your elbows towards Your side. If possible lean against a support, anyway
    watch how You are standing (Your legs). o not press the shutter too fast, do
    not jerk it. With practice You will be able to take reasonably sharp
    pictures even without IS in the shutter speed area of say 1/8 - 1/2 seconds.
    And, well ... do not be nervous, photography is supposed to be fun.
    Good luck
    Väinö Louekari

    Väinö Louekari, Jul 11, 2005
  7. Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address

    Paul Heslop Guest

    irwell wrote:

    > >I'm the same. I don't have image stabilization though so if I am
    > >tripodless and feel shaky I find something to lean on or prop myself
    > >against. I know this isn't always possible but the instruction to hold
    > >your breath just makes me shake more!

    > Use the 2 second timer, also try the burst mode.

    It's remembering to do these things when I have camera in hand that's
    the problem :O)
    Paul Heslop, Jul 11, 2005
  8. Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address

    Ben Thomas Guest

    Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address) wrote:
    > I took my new Panasonic FZ5 out to the park Sunday morning. With a
    > couple of exceptions, every shot was a disaster. Basically, I seem to
    > get nervous when taking photos, and can't hold the camera still. I
    > don't have cerebral palsy or whatever, just a bit nervous. I tried...
    >
    > - turning on image-stabilization
    > - selected "Aperture" mode; set to F2.8 (kiss depth of focus good-bye)
    > - and dropped the shutter to -2/3.
    >
    > I know that ISO 80 and a polarizing filter aren't exactly the fastest
    > combo, but it was very bright out there. Ironically, the two best shots
    > I took were slightly underexposed shots of a footbridge in the shade,
    > where the shutter was probably slower than on any of my other shots.
    > But the good shots benefited from me resting the camera on a convenient
    > post.
    >
    > I know that the camera can take good photos. Is there a technique for
    > relaxing when snapping photos? I don't want to lug my tripod along
    > wherever I take my camera.

    Press the shutter release while holding your breath, and in between heart beats
    if possible. :)
    Ben Thomas, Jul 11, 2005
  9. Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Ben Thomas wrote:

    > Press the shutter release while holding your breath, and in between heart beats
    > if possible. :)

    But don't frget to breathe Daniel San... most important!

    Paul Heslop, Jul 11, 2005
  10. Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address) wrote:
    > I took my new Panasonic FZ5 out to the park Sunday morning. With a
    > couple of exceptions, every shot was a disaster. Basically, I seem to
    > get nervous when taking photos, and can't hold the camera still. I
    > don't have cerebral palsy or whatever, just a bit nervous. I tried...
    >
    > - turning on image-stabilization
    > - selected "Aperture" mode; set to F2.8 (kiss depth of focus good-bye)
    > - and dropped the shutter to -2/3.
    >
    > I know that ISO 80 and a polarizing filter aren't exactly the fastest
    > combo, but it was very bright out there. Ironically, the two best shots
    > I took were slightly underexposed shots of a footbridge in the shade,
    > where the shutter was probably slower than on any of my other shots.
    > But the good shots benefited from me resting the camera on a convenient
    > post.
    >
    > I know that the camera can take good photos. Is there a technique for
    > relaxing when snapping photos? I don't want to lug my tripod along
    > wherever I take my camera.

    Hi Walter...

    See if you can't find one of those tiny tripods... about
    5 or 6 inches high when collapsed; extends to maybe 10 inches
    or so. Easily fit in your bag or your back pocket. Weighs only
    a few ounces. Only a few dollars at most; try Walmart or equivalent.

    Use the self timer. Press the button, compose your shot,
    and you have 10 or 12 seconds to let go of the camera
    completely :)

    Take care.

    Ken
    Ken Weitzel, Jul 12, 2005
  11. Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address

    Mike Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > I'm the same. I don't have image stabilization though so if I am
    > tripodless and feel shaky I find something to lean on or prop myself
    > against. I know this isn't always possible but the instruction to hold
    > your breath just makes me shake more!

    No - you don't hold it for _that_ long!
    Mike, Jul 12, 2005
  12. Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Mike wrote:

    > In article <>, says...
    > > I'm the same. I don't have image stabilization though so if I am
    > > tripodless and feel shaky I find something to lean on or prop myself
    > > against. I know this isn't always possible but the instruction to hold
    > > your breath just makes me shake more!
    > >

    > No - you don't hold it for _that_ long!

    It doesn't take me that long to get out of breath! :O)
    Paul Heslop, Jul 12, 2005
  13. Thanks to all who replied (too many to reply to individually). I'll
    practice indoors for now, and try agin in a few days when the current
    heat wave is over... and I can walk 20 minutes through the park without
    risking heat stroke.

    Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address, Jul 12, 2005
  14. Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address

    Martin Brown Guest

    Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address) wrote:

    > I took my new Panasonic FZ5 out to the park Sunday morning. With a
    > couple of exceptions, every shot was a disaster. Basically, I seem to
    > get nervous when taking photos, and can't hold the camera still. I
    > don't have cerebral palsy or whatever, just a bit nervous. I tried...
    >
    > - turning on image-stabilization
    > - selected "Aperture" mode; set to F2.8 (kiss depth of focus good-bye)
    > - and dropped the shutter to -2/3.
    >
    > I know that ISO 80 and a polarizing filter aren't exactly the fastest
    > combo, but it was very bright out there. Ironically, the two best shots
    > I took were slightly underexposed shots of a footbridge in the shade,
    > where the shutter was probably slower than on any of my other shots.
    > But the good shots benefited from me resting the camera on a convenient
    > post.

    You don't say what the effective shutter speeds are, but on a
    conventional 35mm camera you are doing something wrong if you can't get
    a fully sharp image handheld at exposures shorter than
    1/<focal_length_in_mm>.

    Examine the specular highlights in the bad shots to see what you are
    doing wrong - they will show you how the camera moved most clearly.

    > I know that the camera can take good photos. Is there a technique for
    > relaxing when snapping photos? I don't want to lug my tripod along
    > wherever I take my camera.

    Hold still and squeeze the shutter release gently. Don't expect to hold
    the camera at arms length and get anything like the same control.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown
    Martin Brown, Jul 12, 2005
  15. Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address) wrote:
    > I took my new Panasonic FZ5 out to the park Sunday morning. With a
    > couple of exceptions, every shot was a disaster. Basically, I seem to
    > get nervous when taking photos, and can't hold the camera still. I
    > don't have cerebral palsy or whatever, just a bit nervous. I tried...
    >
    > - turning on image-stabilization
    > - selected "Aperture" mode; set to F2.8 (kiss depth of focus good-bye)
    > - and dropped the shutter to -2/3.
    >
    > I know that ISO 80 and a polarizing filter aren't exactly the fastest
    > combo, but it was very bright out there. Ironically, the two best shots
    > I took were slightly underexposed shots of a footbridge in the shade,
    > where the shutter was probably slower than on any of my other shots.
    > But the good shots benefited from me resting the camera on a convenient
    > post.
    >
    > I know that the camera can take good photos. Is there a technique for
    > relaxing when snapping photos? I don't want to lug my tripod along
    > wherever I take my camera.

    Some people are just naturally 'twitchy', while others resemble the Rock
    of Gibraltar (in steadiness, not size). As we age, we seem to go more
    toward the 'twitchy' side. When I was young, I could hand-hold 3 second
    exposures with no problem. Now, I have trouble with anything longer
    than 1/30 sec. Learning the proper way to hold the camera, and use the
    shutter may help, as may bracing the camera (or yourself) against
    something, holding the camera firmly against your head (no arms length
    LCD framing), and holding the camera so that pressure on the shutter
    button is offset by pressure against the bottom of the camera. Straps,
    chains, and monopods are also of some help, and much easier to deal with
    than a tripod.

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Jul 12, 2005
  16. Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address

    Eddy Vortex Guest

    Try to hold your camera firmly but softly. Tense muscles transmit
    vibration..relaxed muscles absorbe vibration. Do some 'net research on
    pistol shooting; those guys have got it down to a science. As for myself, I
    like to draw in perhaps half a breath, hold it and shoot.

    Eddy Vortex, Jul 12, 2005
  17. Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address

    ASAAR Guest

    On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 03:40:13 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote:

    > When I was young, I could hand-hold 3 second exposures with no problem.
    > Now, I have trouble with anything longer than 1/30 sec.

    1/30 sec. is pretty good, even for a yoot. Amazing for a coot. I
    find claims of good 3 sec. handheld exposures dubious, although it's
    relative to your equipment and expectations. I imagine you weren't
    using Leicas or even any of Kodak's very nice reflex cameras at the
    time, nor would the 3-sec. pictures have been acceptable for
    publication in magazines such as Boy's Life. But for little
    snapshots (and back then many were smaller than 3 1/2"x5") a little
    blur might not have been very noticeable or even of much concern.
    You're in luck though. Due to the statute of limitations, 50 year
    old EXIF data can't be used to refute your claims. :)
    ASAAR, Jul 12, 2005
  18. Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address

    Frank ess Guest

    Eddy Vortex wrote:
    > Try to hold your camera firmly but softly. Tense muscles transmit
    > vibration..relaxed muscles absorbe vibration. Do some 'net research
    > on
    > pistol shooting; those guys have got it down to a science. As for
    > myself, I like to draw in perhaps half a breath, hold it and shoot.
    > "Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address)"
    > <> wrote in message
    >> I took my new Panasonic FZ5 out to the park Sunday morning. With
    >> couple of exceptions, every shot was a disaster. Basically, I seem
    >> to get nervous when taking photos, and can't hold the camera still.
    >> I don't have cerebral palsy or whatever, just a bit nervous. I
    >> tried...
    >>
    >> - turning on image-stabilization
    >> - selected "Aperture" mode; set to F2.8 (kiss depth of focus
    >> good-bye)
    >> - and dropped the shutter to -2/3.
    >>
    >> I know that ISO 80 and a polarizing filter aren't exactly the
    >> fastest combo, but it was very bright out there. Ironically, the
    >> two best shots I took were slightly underexposed shots of a
    >> footbridge in the shade, where the shutter was probably slower than
    >> on any of my other shots. But the good shots benefited from me
    >> resting the camera on a convenient post.
    >>
    >> I know that the camera can take good photos. Is there a
    >> technique
    >> for relaxing when snapping photos? I don't want to lug my tripod
    >> along wherever I take my camera.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Walter Dnes; my email address is *ALMOST* like
    >>
    >> Delete the "z" to get my real address. If that gets blocked,
    >> follow
    >> the instructions at the end of the 550 message.

    Long ago I attended a seminar intended to "raise the consciousness" of
    participants. One of the areas raised most poignantly was that of
    Mind-over-body. We saw a credible film in which a hypnotized person
    responded to a touch by a pencil eraser by raising a blister, having
    been told the pencil was a hot poker.

    Another less destructive and painful demonstration involved balance
    and resistance to tipping. This one was remarkable because we were
    there, did it and felt its effects. Everyone was on his/her knees,
    posture as if standing, but shorter, arms relaxed at sides. The
    facilitator came by and said we should resist his attempts to tip us
    sideways by pulling down on one hand or another. We were easily
    overbalanced, and staggered, so to speak, to keep from falling. Even
    forewarned, no amount of effort or strength could maintain erectness.

    Then we were instructed to half-close our eyes and imagine we were
    mighty oak trees, rooted deep toward the center of the Earth, solid
    and heavy. Under those conditions even a full-weight downward pull on
    a hand simply hanging at the end of a relaxed arm could not disturb
    our equilibrium.

    Our bodies knew how to translate the vectors, once they knew what we
    wanted, and they learned what we wanted by our focusing and
    de-focusing in terms they could understand.

    Any road, I get pretty good slow-shutter results when I remember to be
    a centuries-old oak rather than just a big-fraction-of-a-century-old
    lump of flesh with declining frequency in the hearing and other
    important areas, and increasing frequency in natural grip resonance.

    --
    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Jul 13, 2005
  19. Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address

    Ron Hunter Guest

    ASAAR wrote:
    > On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 03:40:13 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote:
    >

    >>When I was young, I could hand-hold 3 second exposures with no problem.
    >> Now, I have trouble with anything longer than 1/30 sec.

    > 1/30 sec. is pretty good, even for a yoot. Amazing for a coot. I
    > find claims of good 3 sec. handheld exposures dubious, although it's
    > relative to your equipment and expectations. I imagine you weren't
    > using Leicas or even any of Kodak's very nice reflex cameras at the
    > time, nor would the 3-sec. pictures have been acceptable for
    > publication in magazines such as Boy's Life. But for little
    > snapshots (and back then many were smaller than 3 1/2"x5") a little
    > blur might not have been very noticeable or even of much concern.
    > You're in luck though. Due to the statute of limitations, 50 year
    > old EXIF data can't be used to refute your claims. :)

    The shots were done inside a church with a Minox B, and ASA25 film.
    Given the enlargement needed to print at 3.5x5, any blur would have been
    quite noticeable. Sure wish I could be that solid now....

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Jul 13, 2005
  20. Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address

    Alan Meyer Guest

    Here's a few more techniques no one has mentioned:

    1. Turn the camera upside down and brace it against your forehead.

    Yeah, it looks funny, but it helps. Of course you have to
    use the viewfinder, not the LCD on the back.

    2. Use a camera strap to brace yourself.

    The best way is get or make a big strap and put it around
    your body, under your arms. When you hold the camera, put
    some tension on the strap so, in effect, you're supported
    at four points - two hands plus two strap connection points.

    Marksmen do this with rifle slings to steady their aim.

    Bird watchers use special straps on their binoculars to do
    this too.

    You can, of course, combine this with using your forehead for
    a five point stabilization.

    3. Practice moving your finger without moving your hand.

    This is a learnable technique. Marksmen learn to do this.
    Watch your hand as you move your finger and study the best
    way to move it without moving anything else on the hand.
    Then practice with the camera.

    And of course you can combine your minimal finger movement
    with all other techniques.

    Fortunately, pictures cost nothing with digital cameras
    so you can practice as much as you like without spending
    any money.

    Good luck.

    Alan
    Alan Meyer, Jul 13, 2005