    for technical achievements and its musical score, written by John
    Williams.

    The movie was re-released with great fanfare in 1997.
    fgoodwin, May 25, 2006

  2. fgoodwin

    Harkness Guest

    And in 2006, Lucas decided to **** his fans again, with the non
    anamophic release of Star Wars and its sequels in their original form.

    Of course, George's fans were asking for it.

    John Harkness
    Harkness, May 25, 2006

  3. fgoodwin

    Bill Guest

    Harkness wrote:
    > And in 2006, Lucas decided to **** his fans again, with the non
    > anamophic release of Star Wars and its sequels in their original form.
    >
    > Of course, George's fans were asking for it.
    >
    > John Harkness

    Good ole George has come a long way--many years ago, I seem to recall
    him insisting that Stars Wars was meant to be seen in theaters, and
    would never make it onto home video.

    Why do I have a feeling that September's release is only the first in a
    string of upcoming releases for the original versions?
    Bill, May 25, 2006
  4. Harkness wrote:

    > And in 2006, Lucas decided to **** his fans again, with the non
    > anamophic release of Star Wars and its sequels in their original form.
    >
    > Of course, George's fans were asking for it.

    The official company party-line is, George really *did* destroy the
    original prints, and all they had left to satisfy noisy fans with was
    the old '93 pre-SE LD masters in the vault.

    The thrust of the whole "skeptic" fan movement contradicting this seems
    to be based on:
    1) "George is just greedy, so he can sell them again!" (thaaank you, next?)
    2) "George is just throwing a tantrum because he doesn't want fans
    telling him different things about his movies than he believes!" (mmm,
    possible, but...)
    3) "Oh, George wouldn't have been stupid enough to *really* destroy his
    old prints because he likes his new versions so much, would he?"

    To which 3) argument, I have personally been subscribing, "...Oh,
    WOULDN'T he, though? -_- "

    Derek Janssen (it is a logical fallacy to underestimate auteur stupidity)
    Derek Janssen, May 25, 2006
  5. fgoodwin

    Harkness Guest

    There was a comment on digital bits by Robert Harris - the guy who
    restored Laurence of Arabia and others -- which basically said that
    Lucas' position on the impossiblity of restoring the original was
    horseshit.

    Even if the original negs are gone, there are other prints,
    interpositives, etcetera. Hell, I know a couple of people who own 35 mm
    prints of the original.

    John Harkness
    Harkness, May 25, 2006
  6. On Thu, 25 May 2006 14:18:30 -0400, Derek Janssen wrote:

    > 3) "Oh, George wouldn't have been stupid enough to *really* destroy his
    > old prints because he likes his new versions so much, would he?"
    >
    > To which 3) argument, I have personally been subscribing, "...Oh,
    > WOULDN'T he, though? -_- "

    It would be physically incapable of him to do so. There are many
    collectors with prints of the original versions of the movies. Those
    prints could be used by professional film restorers to create a new
    high definition digital master of the movies that look far better than
    an LD master *that was not even state of the art when it was made*.

    This wouldn't be such a disappointment to me if the original LD
    transfer was itself anamorphic. At least then it would have an
    acceptable appearance on my widescreen television.

    --
    Lance Corporal "Hammer" Schultz
    Promote someone else.
    Lance Corporal \Hammer\ Schultz, May 25, 2006
  7. fgoodwin

    Anybody Guest

    In article <>,
    "Harkness" <> wrote:

    > And in 2006, Lucas decided to **** his fans again, with the non
    > anamophic release of Star Wars and its sequels in their original form.
    >
    > Of course, George's fans were asking for it.

    Geez, the first reply in this topic is some idiot whiner. :-(
    Anybody, May 25, 2006
  8. Anybody wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > "Harkness" <> wrote:
    >

    >>And in 2006, Lucas decided to **** his fans again, with the non
    >>anamophic release of Star Wars and its sequels in their original form.
    >>
    >>Of course, George's fans were asking for it.

    > Geez, the first reply in this topic is some idiot whiner. :-(

    Well, I WAS going to nostalgically rhapsodize how, prior to 1977,
    Memorial Day was considered the "kiss of death" weekend for movies
    (well, everyone would be barbecuing at the beach, wouldn't they?), and
    Fox originally let Lucas have his bottle and dump the movie in a weekend
    where "no one would notice", so that they could concentrate on their big
    June studio opening for "Other Side of Midnight", but...times and
    current headlines must take precedence.

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, May 25, 2006
  9. fgoodwin

    Harkness Guest

    Actually, it was the second reply.

    And I was more mocking Star Wars fans, rather than whining. I've no
    intention of acquiring any edition of any Star Wars films on DVD.

    Never had, never will.

    John Harkness
    Harkness, May 25, 2006
  10. fgoodwin

    Alpha Guest

    "Derek Janssen" <> wrote in message
    > Anybody wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> "Harkness" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>And in 2006, Lucas decided to **** his fans again, with the non
    >>>anamophic release of Star Wars and its sequels in their original form.
    >>>
    >>>Of course, George's fans were asking for it.

    >> Geez, the first reply in this topic is some idiot whiner. :-(

    > Well, I WAS going to nostalgically rhapsodize how, prior to 1977, Memorial
    > Day was considered the "kiss of death" weekend for movies (well, everyone
    > would be barbecuing at the beach, wouldn't they?), and Fox originally let
    > Lucas have his bottle and dump the movie in a weekend where "no one would
    > notice", so that they could concentrate on their big June studio opening
    > for "Other Side of Midnight", but...times and current headlines must take
    > precedence.
    >
    > Derek Janssen

    The release was interesting around here. No, and I mean no publicity. But
    at the national opening day, somehow word was out, and lines were around the
    block.
    Alpha, May 25, 2006
  11. Alpha wrote:

    >>Well, I WAS going to nostalgically rhapsodize how, prior to 1977, Memorial
    >>Day was considered the "kiss of death" weekend for movies (well, everyone
    >>would be barbecuing at the beach, wouldn't they?), and Fox originally let
    >>Lucas have his bottle and dump the movie in a weekend where "no one would
    >>notice", so that they could concentrate on their big June studio opening
    >>for "Other Side of Midnight", but...times and current headlines must take
    >>precedence.

    > The release was interesting around here. No, and I mean no publicity. But
    > at the national opening day, somehow word was out, and lines were around the
    > block.

    Although remember, they'd been doing grass-roots advertising of Lucas
    and McQuarrie's design sketches at sci-fi/comic-book conventions for two
    years before (yeah, those watercolor paintings that they kept selling in
    the early days?)--

    Think of it like "Sin City"'s opening, which had no mainstream publicity
    known to man, but had an opening-day line fueled by Core-Geek Power...

    Derek Janssen (who first heard about it from a Scholastic Magazine article)
    Derek Janssen, May 25, 2006
  12. fgoodwin

    David B Guest

    Anybody wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > "Harkness" <> wrote:
    >
    > > And in 2006, Lucas decided to **** his fans again, with the non
    > > anamophic release of Star Wars and its sequels in their original form.
    > >
    > > Of course, George's fans were asking for it.

    > Geez, the first reply in this topic is some idiot whiner. :-(

    Unfortunately the whiners among fandom are extremely noisy.
    David B, May 25, 2006
  13. fgoodwin

    Guest Guest

    "Harkness" <> wrote in message
    > And in 2006, Lucas decided to **** his fans again, with the non
    > anamophic release of Star Wars and its sequels in their original form.
    >
    > Of course, George's fans were asking for it.
    >
    > John Harkness

    Nah. He's just priming you up for the special edition HD-DVD/Blue Ray with
    all deleted scenes WITH the option to play movie with deleted scenes. I
    hope...
    Guest, May 26, 2006
  14. fgoodwin

    Jeff Rife Guest

    ("Lance Corporal \"Hammer\" Schultz" <starfist.at.gmail.dot.com>) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > It would be physically incapable of him to do so. There are many
    > collectors with prints of the original versions of the movies. Those
    > prints could be used by professional film restorers to create a new
    > high definition digital master of the movies that look far better than
    > an LD master *that was not even state of the art when it was made*.

    I hate to bring this up, but the laserdiscs from which the masters were
    made were THX-certified. It was a requirement for THX-certification for
    laserdiscs that the original telecine be done in high-def, and then the
    laserdisc master be created from a down-conversion of that telecine.

    This is also true for THX-certifed DVDs, so if the DVDs released this
    fall are THX-certified, then there *must* be high-def masters somewhere.

    --
    Jeff Rife |
    Jeff Rife, May 26, 2006
  15. fgoodwin

    Guest

    Are you the only person who didn't see the dozens of TV ads for Sin
    City? The wild postings on hoardings? The inescapable trailer?

    They marketed the hell out of Sin City.

    John Harkness
    , May 26, 2006
  16. fgoodwin

    J. Clarke Guest

    Jeff Rife wrote:

    > ("Lance Corporal \"Hammer\" Schultz" <starfist.at.gmail.dot.com>) wrote
    > in alt.video.dvd:
    >> It would be physically incapable of him to do so. There are many
    >> collectors with prints of the original versions of the movies. Those
    >> prints could be used by professional film restorers to create a new
    >> high definition digital master of the movies that look far better than
    >> an LD master *that was not even state of the art when it was made*.

    > I hate to bring this up, but the laserdiscs from which the masters were
    > made were THX-certified. It was a requirement for THX-certification for
    > laserdiscs that the original telecine be done in high-def, and then the
    > laserdisc master be created from a down-conversion of that telecine.

    There was not even a _standard_ for high definition television when the THX
    Laserdisc requirements were established. There might be "good quality"
    masters somewhere but that doesn't mean that they contain 1920x1080
    recordings.

    > This is also true for THX-certifed DVDs, so if the DVDs released this
    > fall are THX-certified, then there *must* be high-def masters somewhere.

    Would you be kind enough to state a source for that. What I'm seeing is
    that high definition masters can be certified but there is no requirement
    that they be used for SD DVD production. Since any such master would have
    to be transcoded to produce an SD DVD, with resulting generation loss, I
    can't imagine such a thing being mandated in any case.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    J. Clarke, May 26, 2006
  17. fgoodwin

    Jack Bohn Guest

    caliban43wrote:

    >Are you the only person who didn't see the dozens of TV ads for Sin
    >City? The wild postings on hoardings? The inescapable trailer?

    No, as he said, he first heard about it from a Scholastic
    Magazine article.

    --
    -Jack
    Jack Bohn, May 26, 2006
  18. fgoodwin

    Pek Jerkins Guest

    Gee, really? Why don't you just **** off then.

    Pek Jerkins, May 27, 2006
  19. fgoodwin

    Harkness Guest

    ah the cutting wit of the Star Wars geek.

    still spanking to princess leia in the slave girl outfit?

    John Harkness
    Harkness, May 27, 2006
  20. fgoodwin

    Loretty Guest