Maxxum / Dynax 7D. PC-sync, MLU and DOF preview

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Alan Browne, Sep 29, 2004.

  1. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    In the prel. spec that we have seen on dpreview, and on the various K-M there is
    no _specific_ mention of PC-sync for the D7, nor MLU nor DOF preview. I hope
    this is a manifestation of the very sloppy marketing materials that we have seen
    to date from K-M re the 7D and not an indication that these essential features
    are missing.

    --in the spec here on dpreview it does say:
    "...with flash sync. terminal"
    "...10 sec, 2 sec" (Self timer, 2 sec is usually MLU on Minoltas)

    and in one photo there is a protrusion on the lower left side of the lens (if
    facing the camera) that looks much like the DOF preview of the Max 7.

    But the spec is ambiguous on all of these items (eg: the various incarnations of
    the spec do not use the terms "PC Sync", "MLU" and "DOF preview".)

    Does anyone have a source (links please) clarifying these items?

    If the camera is missing ANY of these features, it is a dead duck for me.

    (I've sent inquiries to various K-M contacts).

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Browne, Sep 29, 2004

  2. Alan Browne

    Magnus W Guest

    Alan Browne <> wrote in

    > Does anyone have a source (links please) clarifying these items?

    As I've said in another post, all this is confirmed by now. 2 sec timer is
    useless without MLU, plus there is no reason for them to actually /remove/
    it, so that's a given. The DOF preview button (at a new location) can't be
    anything else so that's a given, too. The PC socket is under the rubber
    flap at the side -- no screw-on cap anymore, that one got me fooled for a
    while, but I've seen a pic with the flap removed.

    Magnus W, Sep 29, 2004

  3. Alan Browne

    Crow T Robot Guest

    Re: Maxxum / Dynax 7D. Any confirmed Price/release date

    Is there any confirmed price or Release date as of yet?

    Crow T Robot, Sep 29, 2004
  4. Alan Browne

    PhotoMan Guest

    "Crow T Robot" <> wrote in message
    > Is there any confirmed price or Release date as of yet?

    Probably to be announced shortly after Canon or Nikon reveal another digital
    body. ;-)

    PhotoMan, Sep 29, 2004
  5. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Magnus W wrote:

    > Alan Browne <> wrote in
    >

    >>Does anyone have a source (links please) clarifying these items?

    > As I've said in another post, all this is confirmed by now. 2 sec timer is
    > useless without MLU, plus there is no reason for them to actually /remove/
    > it, so that's a given. The DOF preview button (at a new location) can't be
    > anything else so that's a given, too. The PC socket is under the rubber
    > flap at the side -- no screw-on cap anymore, that one got me fooled for a
    > while, but I've seen a pic with the flap removed.

    Until I see each item _clearly_ and specifically stated in a spec, brochure or
    manual I'm holding my doubts. Yes, I've seen the same things you have and made
    the same wishful conclusions (except for the PC sync ... haven't seen a thing on
    that).

    Do you have a link to a photo showing the PC sync?

    Do the terms "PC Sync", "MLU" and "DOF" (acronym or whole) appear ANYWHERE in a
    Maxxum 7D announcement?

    That is what is bothering me ... I hope all for naught.

    Cheers,
    Alan.

    Alan Browne, Sep 29, 2004
  6. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    PhotoMan wrote:

    > "Crow T Robot" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Is there any confirmed price or Release date as of yet?

    > Probably to be announced shortly after Canon or Nikon reveal another digital
    > body. ;-)

    I posted the CDN price a couple days ago:

    > I was given two bizarre prices for the 7D. These were based on
    > a photo store retailer and what he had been told by Minolta.
    >
    > A kit: 7D + Flash (2500(D) + grip: CAD$2,500.00 (aprox US$1,960)
    >
    > Body: CAD$1999 (approx: US$1565.00)
    >
    > Seems high to me. I would bet on a price closer to US$1,200
    > once things settle a little.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Browne, Sep 29, 2004
  7. Alan Browne

    Magnus W Guest

    Alan Browne <> wrote in

    > Until I see each item _clearly_ and specifically stated in a spec,
    > brochure or manual I'm holding my doubts. Yes, I've seen the same
    > things you have and made the same wishful conclusions (except for the
    > PC sync ... haven't seen a thing on that).

    It's not a matter of wishful conclusions. It is totally improbable that
    there would be a 2sec self timer (and on the drive dial nonetheless) if
    there wasn't MLU to go with it, or do you have a guess about why it would
    even exist? Same goes for the DOF preview button. In that place, what else
    can it be? I had the same concerns, and yes, specs are non too detailed,
    but I'm not concerned about this anymore.

    > Do you have a link to a photo showing the PC sync?

    No, but I've /very/ clearly seen it. That was also a concern of mine. You
    have to trust me on this one. It was on a Polish site or something. Under a
    rectangular flap -- you should be able to see it -- at the same location as
    on the 7 and 9. Just the same, threaded PC socket.

    A case of "Paranoia Maxxumus"? ;-)

    Magnus W, Sep 29, 2004
  8. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Magnus W wrote:

    > Alan Browne <> wrote in

    >>Do you have a link to a photo showing the PC sync?

    > No, but I've /very/ clearly seen it. That was also a concern of mine. You
    > have to trust me on this one. It was on a Polish site or something. Under a
    > rectangular flap -- you should be able to see it -- at the same location as
    > on the 7 and 9. Just the same, threaded PC socket.
    >
    > A case of "Paranoia Maxxumus"? ;-)

    Absolutely. And a lack of "Tracto Dynaxxus"

    K-M have really not earned my admiration nor trust given the shoddy quality of
    the websites, specs, etc. related to the new camera.

    In the latest brochure, my 80-200 f/2.8 G is not mentioned... the newer 70-200
    f/2.8 G (D) SSM is as are my other lenses.

    Both the 300 f/2.8 G and the 300 f/2.8 G (D) SSM are there, as well as both the
    older 28-70 /2.8 G and the newer 28-75 /2.8 (D).

    Likewise the TC's mentioned are the latest v. and not the ones I have.

    I just hope that this lens being missing on the sheet is the sloppiness of K-M's
    marketing people and not some silly restriction to my 80-200 and my TC's.

    It could be that there are no more 80-200 f/2.8's in inventory, likewise the
    older TC's. The older 300's and the 28-70 (G) might still be in inventory.

    brochure: http://tinyurl.com/57tap

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Browne, Sep 29, 2004
  9. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Magnus W wrote:
    > Alan Browne <> wrote in

    >>Do you have a link to a photo showing the PC sync?

    > No, but I've /very/ clearly seen it. That was also a concern of mine. You
    > have to trust me on this one. It was on a Polish site or something. Under a
    > rectangular flap -- you should be able to see it -- at the same location as
    > on the 7 and 9. Just the same, threaded PC socket.

    http://www.fotografovani.cz/images/kmdynax7d_11_p.jpg
    http://www.grafika.cz/art/df/kmdynax7d-hands-on-preview.html

    Thanks to Elie Shammas.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Browne, Sep 29, 2004
  10. Alan Browne

    Magnus W Guest

    Alan Browne <> wrote in

    > In the latest brochure, my 80-200 f/2.8 G is not mentioned...

    That's because it's not a current lens. It's a lens system chart, not a
    compatibility chart. You wouldn't expect them to list every lens ever made
    in such a brochure, do you? :p

    Magnus W, Sep 30, 2004
  11. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Crow T Robot wrote:

    > Is there any confirmed price or Release date as of yet?

    Look for headers that indicate "price"

    Alan Browne, Sep 30, 2004
  12. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Magnus W wrote:

    > Alan Browne <> wrote in
    >

    >>In the latest brochure, my 80-200 f/2.8 G is not mentioned...

    > That's because it's not a current lens. It's a lens system chart, not a
    > compatibility chart. You wouldn't expect them to list every lens ever made
    > in such a brochure, do you? :p

    Just the ones I have! Nothe that they do mention the 28-70 G and the 300 G,
    both are superseded lenses.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Browne, Sep 30, 2004