    I've always formatted the partition before placing files and folders
    in them. Does the drive not require formatting before first use?

    Rubix

    Rubix, Aug 29, 2004

  2. Rubix

    Dean C Guest

    Of course the boot partition needs to be formatted to allow first use
    however it's not a mandatory requirement to format the non-boot partitions.
    You can either format these other partitions when you format the boot
    partition initially, or do it afterwards from within the OS itself (eg.
    using the disk management tool from within WinXP). In your case it seems the
    non-boot partitions must have been formatted sometime otherwise you would
    not have been able to copy any files to them. Suspect Maxblast 3 has done
    the formatting already.

    Dean C, Aug 29, 2004

  3. Rubix

    Adam Guest

    Cant help that much Rubix ,but suffice to say that I have just bough the
    exact same HD but didn't bother to partion it. Win XP Pro needed to format
    the entire drive before I could proceed with loading the OS.

    Adam

    Adam, Aug 29, 2004
  4. Rubix

    Rubix Guest

    All Maxblast 3 did was create the 3 partitions. It took maybe 15
    seconds. Only the first partition 25 GB was formatted prior to OS
    install.

    Strange.

    Rubix

    Rubix, Aug 29, 2004
  5. Rubix

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <> Rubix
    <> wrote:

    >All Maxblast 3 did was create the 3 partitions. It took maybe 15
    >seconds. Only the first partition 25 GB was formatted prior to OS
    >install.
    >
    >Strange.

    There is no requirement for a format to take more then a couple seconds.
    All that is really needed is to write the file structure to the
    beginning of the disk.

    The typical delay is for the format program to read the entire disk to
    see if any CRC errors occur, and if so mark those sectors and unusable,
    but it's an optional part of the process.

    --
    You're not as stupid as you look, or sound, or our best testing indicates.

    DevilsPGD, Aug 30, 2004
  6. Rubix

    Plato Guest

    Rubix wrote:

    > I've just purchased a new Maxtor 160 GB drive and used Maxblast 3 to
    > created 3 partitions (no formatting was done at that point). I
    > installed the OS obviously on the first partition formatting it first.
    > However after installing the OS I noticed the other two partitions
    > created D: and E: did not require formatting prior to placing files in
    > either of the extended partitions. In the past with brand new HD's
    > I've always formatted the partition before placing files and folders
    > in them. Does the drive not require formatting before first use?

    Yes hard drive partitions require formatting before they can accomodate
    files. Maxblast did this for you automagically it seems since you are
    writing to the logical drives in the extended partition.

    Plato, Aug 30, 2004