Maxtor Hard Drive Won't boot as Second Drive on Compaq

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Chris, Apr 24, 2004.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Compaq Presario 2400GHZ Windows XP Home Computer works fine, When I
    > > try & connect my old secondary drive to copy data the PC stops at
    > > boot up & only has the option for F1 for setup or F2 for restore. The
    > > jumper over the J48 position is configuring the drive for Cable
    > > Select & it was working just fine in my old PC & a secondary drive.
    > > My C: drive from my old PC which is a Western Digital connects just
    > > fine with my Compaq. Any Ideas as to what I can try. The Maxtor is a
    > > 40GB Model 91296D6 & I have been trying to connect it by
    > > disconnecting my CDR IDE cable...I also tried putting the jumpers ever

    which way I could & tried using the IDE from my c: drive & not the CDRW but
    it still stops with the Compaq Logo & at the bottom it says F1 Setup & F2
    Restore I did notice that if I remove the jumper it comes up & says invalid
    system disk

    Chris, Apr 24, 2004

  2. Chris

    slumpy Guest

    ....and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel Chris decided it
    was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:

    > Compaq Presario 2400GHZ Windows XP Home Computer works fine, When I
    >>> try & connect my old secondary drive to copy data the PC stops at
    >>> boot up & only has the option for F1 for setup or F2 for restore.
    >>> The jumper over the J48 position is configuring the drive for Cable
    >>> Select & it was working just fine in my old PC & a secondary drive.
    >>> My C: drive from my old PC which is a Western Digital connects just
    >>> fine with my Compaq. Any Ideas as to what I can try. The Maxtor is a
    >>> 40GB Model 91296D6 & I have been trying to connect it by
    >>> disconnecting my CDR IDE cable...I also tried putting the jumpers
    >>> ever

    > which way I could & tried using the IDE from my c: drive & not the
    > CDRW but it still stops with the Compaq Logo & at the bottom it says
    > F1 Setup & F2 Restore I did notice that if I remove the jumper it
    > comes up & says invalid system disk
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    Is the old machine new enough to be able to recognise something as
    impossibly huge as a 40gig hard drive ?
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy, Apr 24, 2004

  3. Chris

    ProfGene Guest

    Did you reset the jumpers on the old drive to make it a slave? If you are
    booting to your new drive you can temporarily put the old drive on the
    second ide connector. I don't know what kind of bios you have but make sure
    the boot is to the ide 0 and no boot to ide 1, in fact disable all other
    boots. Then it should have nothing to do with the old drive as it shouldn't
    try to boot to it and you should be able to boot up normally and copy data.
    The boot sequences are set in bios unless you have some proprietary bios
    that doesn't allow this.

    ProfGene, Apr 24, 2004