    Will my IDE cable from my current HD be sufficient or will i need a new one?
    (current = excelstor 30gig 5200)
    The new is a Maxtor Diamondplus 9 7200 ata -133 80gb

    Isildur, Oct 16, 2003

  2. Isildur

    derek / nul Guest

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 11:10:05 +0000 (UTC), "Isildur" <> wrote:

    >Will my IDE cable from my current HD be sufficient or will i need a new one?
    >(current = excelstor 30gig 5200)
    >The new is a Maxtor Diamondplus 9 7200 ata -133 80gb

    The old cable will be 'sufficient' but a new cable will enable it to run faster.

    Derek

    derek / nul, Oct 16, 2003

  3. Isildur

    Thor Guest

    wrote:

    > >Will my IDE cable from my current HD be sufficient or will i need a new

    one?
    > >(current = excelstor 30gig 5200)
    > >The new is a Maxtor Diamondplus 9 7200 ata -133 80gb

    > The old cable will be 'sufficient' but a new cable will enable it to run

    faster.

    > Derek

    Why do you say that? If he currently has a 30GB drive, then chances are good
    that he already has an 80 conductor cable. In which case, getting a new
    cable wouldn't do a thing to help speeds. So it really depends on what cable
    he currently has, which we do not know for certain.

    Thor, Oct 16, 2003
  4. Isildur

    Isildur Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > "derek / nul" <> wrote in message
    > > On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 11:10:05 +0000 (UTC), "Isildur" <>

    > wrote:
    > >
    > > >Will my IDE cable from my current HD be sufficient or will i need a new

    > one?
    > > >(current = excelstor 30gig 5200)
    > > >The new is a Maxtor Diamondplus 9 7200 ata -133 80gb

    > > The old cable will be 'sufficient' but a new cable will enable it to run

    > faster.
    > >
    > > Derek
    > >

    > Why do you say that? If he currently has a 30GB drive, then chances are

    good
    > that he already has an 80 conductor cable. In which case, getting a new
    > cable wouldn't do a thing to help speeds. So it really depends on what

    cable
    > he currently has, which we do not know for certain.

    Just to add it has ran a 40gig maxtor 7200rpm from new (until it broke,
    hence me using the 30gig for now)

    Isildur, Oct 16, 2003
  5. Isildur

    V W Wall Guest

    derek / nul wrote:

    > On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 11:10:05 +0000 (UTC), "Isildur" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Will my IDE cable from my current HD be sufficient or will i need a new one?
    > >(current = excelstor 30gig 5200)
    > >The new is a Maxtor Diamondplus 9 7200 ata -133 80gb

    > The old cable will be 'sufficient' but a new cable will enable it to run faster.

    80 conductor cables use pin 34 to signal their presence to drives that require
    them for ATA66 and up. Some cables are advertized for ATA133, but there is no
    difference in any 80 conductor cables. There is no drive made doday that can
    fully use an ATA133 channel.

    Virg Wall
    --

    It is vain to do with more