    Lastly, I am not planning to do this, but is there any way putting my
    virtual memory for Windows on the 1.5 GB hard drive a good idea?

    I'm surprised enough I got it all installed and working.
    Andrew Watiker, May 31, 2004

  2. Andrew Watiker

    Thor Guest

    "Andrew Watiker" <> wrote in message
    news:E7uuc.12455$...
    > I just installed a Maxtor 71626 hard drive in my computer. This is a 1.5

    GB
    > hard drive running at about 4500 RPM. I am planning to use it to back up
    > data but I had a few questions.
    >
    > I am placing it in a really fast 3.2 (w/overclock) machine with 1 Gig of
    > RAM. Other than at bootup will this slow old hard drive impact

    performance
    > (I also have a 160GB SATA drive)?

    Shouldn't impact it's performance at all.

    > When I installed it I forgot to set it to slave so my set up now works

    like
    > this: Boot to Lilo on 1.5 GB Hard Drive ----> Boot to Windows XP or Linux
    > (different partitions) on the 160GB Hard Drive?
    >
    > If in the case of the hard drive dying, will just reinstalling Linux,
    > thereby reinstalling LILO fix everything, if I install LILO on the 160 GB
    > Hard Drive?

    I'll let a Linux guru answer that one.

    > Lastly, I am not planning to do this, but is there any way putting my
    > virtual memory for Windows on the 1.5 GB hard drive a good idea?

    Sure. You can tell windows to put the paging file on that drive, but for
    god's sake, don't do it. You don't want your paging file on such a slow
    drive. Virtual memory is slow enough as it is, without putting it on an old
    4500rpm drive.

    > I'm surprised enough I got it all installed and working.

    IDE controllers in general have great backward compatibility. I have an old
    Maxtor 212MB drive that functions perfectly beside my 120GB Seagate. Hooked
    it up once just for kicks.
    Thor, May 31, 2004

  3. What it really was that surprised me though was that I figured out the
    soultion to a "missing operating system message". I guess I've spent to
    much time on these machines.

    Andrew Watiker, May 31, 2004
  4. What it really was that surprised me though was that I figured out the

    Andrew Watiker, May 31, 2004
  5. Sorry about my double post, my ISP has really bad news servers.

    Andrew Watiker, May 31, 2004