Maxnet

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by John Doe, May 24, 2004.

  1. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    Hi,

    I am about to switch from a JetStream Starter (128kbps) plan to
    JetStream Surf Flat Rate plan.

    On this page :

    http://www.maxnet.co.nz/content/2/94/0.htm

    Maxnet states :

    "This service is designed for light and occasional users and Maxnet
    reserves the right to withdraw the service from heavy users and offer
    alternative products".

    I don't understand here. What do they mean ? That you abuse the
    unlimited national allowance with JetStream Starter plan ? Or that you
    abuse the "unlimited" flat-rate national+international allowance for
    the JetStream Surf plans ?

    Could somebody tell me if Xtra has got the same clause ? - I couldn't
    see anything like that on the web.

    The whole page lists the specifications for Starter _and_ Surf plans
    really, not just JetStream Starter, doesn't it ?

    Maxnet is pretty unclear !
    John Doe, May 24, 2004

  2. John Doe

    Chris Hope Guest

    John Doe wrote:

    > I am about to switch from a JetStream Starter (128kbps) plan to
    > JetStream Surf Flat Rate plan.
    >
    > On this page :
    >
    > http://www.maxnet.co.nz/content/2/94/0.htm
    >
    > Maxnet states :
    >
    > "This service is designed for light and occasional users and Maxnet
    > reserves the right to withdraw the service from heavy users and offer
    > alternative products".
    >
    > I don't understand here. What do they mean ? That you abuse the
    > unlimited national allowance with JetStream Starter plan ? Or that you
    > abuse the "unlimited" flat-rate national+international allowance for
    > the JetStream Surf plans ?
    >
    > Could somebody tell me if Xtra has got the same clause ? - I couldn't
    > see anything like that on the web.
    >
    > The whole page lists the specifications for Starter _and_ Surf plans
    > really, not just JetStream Starter, doesn't it ?
    >
    > Maxnet is pretty unclear !

    The JetStream Surf conditions state that you have unlimited download
    allowance but that they *may* drop your 256k to 64k if you go over 10GB in
    the month. I don't recall seeing anything about Xtra withdrawing the
    service other than this restriction. In my first month of flat rate (I was
    previously on the 1GB full speed plan) I went over 10GB after about ten
    days or so. I'm now on the last day of that month and my speed hasn't been
    restricted. When I queried this group about the restriction before I
    changed plans the high users said they hadn't seen a decrease in speed
    after they'd gone over 10GB.

    I would say Maxnet have this clause in their T&Cs because Telecom have the
    above clause in theirs, and ISPs other than Xtra are more or less reselling
    the Jetstream plans. But you are right, it's fairly ambiguous. You should
    give them a call and ask for more details.

    --
    Chris Hope
    The Electric Toolbox - http://www.electrictoolbox.com/
    Chris Hope, May 24, 2004

  3. John Doe

    Enkidu Guest

    On 23 May 2004 16:43:01 -0700, (John Doe)
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I am about to switch from a JetStream Starter (128kbps) plan to
    >JetStream Surf Flat Rate plan.
    >
    >On this page :
    >
    >http://www.maxnet.co.nz/content/2/94/0.htm
    >
    >Maxnet states :
    >
    >"This service is designed for light and occasional users and Maxnet
    >reserves the right to withdraw the service from heavy users and offer
    >alternative products".
    >
    >I don't understand here. What do they mean ? That you abuse the
    >unlimited national allowance with JetStream Starter plan ? Or that you
    >abuse the "unlimited" flat-rate national+international allowance for
    >the JetStream Surf plans ?

    It seems pretty clear. You do something that they consider "heavy
    usage" you get offered a different plan or you can go elsewhere.

    It doesn't mention abuse, you do. If you started dragging down a Gig a
    day, they would probably offer you a business plan or something or
    suggest you cut it out.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, May 24, 2004