    spammers 'china-netcom'. E-mail me for more
    details

    --
    Snoopy, Feb 3, 2004

  2. Snoopy

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Snoopy (*is n)" <te**yson@caverock.*et.*z> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I am considering switching ISPs to Maxnet. What is the international
    > news group service like?
    >
    > SNOOPY

    I've just joined Slingshot $10 deal from the Warehouse for the first month.
    A damn sight more competitive outfit than the Aussie owned ihug is.
    So far it's just as good as ihug for connecting and speed... just a damn
    sight cheaper.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Feb 3, 2004

  3. Snoopy

    max Guest

    On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 18:08:24 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    (*sling)> wrote:

    >"Snoopy (*is n)" <te**yson@caverock.*et.*z> wrote in message
    >> I am considering switching ISPs to Maxnet. What is the international
    >> news group service like?
    >>
    >> SNOOPY

    >I've just joined Slingshot $10 deal from the Warehouse for the first month.
    >A damn sight more competitive outfit than the Aussie owned ihug is.
    >So far it's just as good as ihug for connecting and speed... just a damn
    >sight cheaper.
    >
    >E. Scrooge

    They have been good lately, but they tend to have issueswhen they
    start promoting themselves and then can't cope with the new demand of
    the new customers.
    max, Feb 3, 2004
  4. Snoopy

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "max" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 18:08:24 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    > (*sling)> wrote:
    >

    > >"Snoopy (*is n)" <te**yson@caverock.*et.*z> wrote in message
    > >> I am considering switching ISPs to Maxnet. What is the international
    > >> news group service like?
    > >>
    > >> SNOOPY

    > >I've just joined Slingshot $10 deal from the Warehouse for the first

    month.
    > >A damn sight more competitive outfit than the Aussie owned ihug is.
    > >So far it's just as good as ihug for connecting and speed... just a damn
    > >sight cheaper.
    > >
    > >E. Scrooge
    > >

    > They have been good lately, but they tend to have issueswhen they
    > start promoting themselves and then can't cope with the new demand of
    > the new customers.

    Only thing I've found at the moment is a slow response for posts in the
    newsgroups to appear. One bugger took about 9 minutes, ihug is damn near
    instant at times. Emails are good though, a test one came back straight
    away.
    Is the news service usually that slow after clicking the send button for the
    post to piss off to the groups?

    Connecting tonight was good, straight through on the first try. They could
    well get a lot of customers with the heavy promotions. Hopefully they're
    ready to handle it all. I see they offer 10% off if you prepay for a year,
    making it $15 a month for flat rate. Good on them if they can be that
    competitive while still being reliable.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Feb 3, 2004
  5. Snoopy

    E. Scrooge Guest

    > "max" <> wrote in message
    > > On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 18:08:24 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    > > (*sling)> wrote:
    > >

    > > >"Snoopy (*is n)" <te**yson@caverock.*et.*z> wrote in message

    > > >I've just joined Slingshot $10 deal from the Warehouse for the first

    > month.
    > > >A damn sight more competitive outfit than the Aussie owned ihug is.
    > > >So far it's just as good as ihug for connecting and speed... just a

    damn
    > > >sight cheaper.
    > > >
    > > >E. Scrooge
    > > >

    > > They have been good lately, but they tend to have issueswhen they
    > > start promoting themselves and then can't cope with the new demand of
    > > the new customers.

    > Only thing I've found at the moment is a slow response for posts in the
    > newsgroups to appear. One bugger took about 9 minutes, ihug is damn near
    > instant at times. Emails are good though, a test one came back straight
    > away.
    > Is the news service usually that slow after clicking the send button for

    the
    > post to piss off to the groups?

    Only took a minute for that bugger to turn up, that's a bit more resonable.
    :)
    To be fair ihug's news service become useless for half an hour each night
    just after midnight.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Feb 3, 2004
  6. Snoopy

    max Guest

    On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 21:20:06 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    (*sling)> wrote:

    >"max" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 18:08:24 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    >> (*sling)> wrote:
    >>

    >> >"Snoopy (*is n)" <te**yson@caverock.*et.*z> wrote in message

    >> >I've just joined Slingshot $10 deal from the Warehouse for the first

    >month.
    >> >A damn sight more competitive outfit than the Aussie owned ihug is.
    >> >So far it's just as good as ihug for connecting and speed... just a damn
    >> >sight cheaper.
    >> >
    >> >E. Scrooge
    >> >

    >> They have been good lately, but they tend to have issueswhen they
    >> start promoting themselves and then can't cope with the new demand of
    >> the new customers.

    >Only thing I've found at the moment is a slow response for posts in the
    >newsgroups to appear. One bugger took about 9 minutes, ihug is damn near
    >instant at times. Emails are good though, a test one came back straight
    >away.
    >Is the news service usually that slow after clicking the send button for the
    >post to piss off to the groups?
    >
    >Connecting tonight was good, straight through on the first try. They could
    >well get a lot of customers with the heavy promotions. Hopefully they're
    >ready to handle it all. I see they offer 10% off if you prepay for a year,
    >making it $15 a month for flat rate. Good on them if they can be that
    >competitive while still being reliable.
    >
    >E. Scrooge

    I think it is a little slow on the newgroups, but when I reply, they
    appear immediately.
    max, Feb 3, 2004
  7. Snoopy

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "max" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 21:20:06 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    > (*sling)> wrote:
    >

    > >"max" <> wrote in message

    international

    > >month.

    damn

    > >> They have been good lately, but they tend to have issueswhen they
    > >> start promoting themselves and then can't cope with the new demand of
    > >> the new customers.

    > >Only thing I've found at the moment is a slow response for posts in the
    > >newsgroups to appear. One bugger took about 9 minutes, ihug is damn near
    > >instant at times. Emails are good though, a test one came back straight
    > >away.
    > >Is the news service usually that slow after clicking the send button for

    the
    > >post to piss off to the groups?
    > >
    > >Connecting tonight was good, straight through on the first try. They

    could
    > >well get a lot of customers with the heavy promotions. Hopefully they're
    > >ready to handle it all. I see they offer 10% off if you prepay for a

    year,
    > >making it $15 a month for flat rate. Good on them if they can be that
    > >competitive while still being reliable.
    > >
    > >E. Scrooge
    > >

    > I think it is a little slow on the newgroups, but when I reply, they
    > appear immediately.

    Your post looks like it appeared when you sent it, if you sent it at 9:56pm.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Feb 3, 2004
  8. Snoopy

    Rich Guest

    > I am considering switching ISPs to Maxnet. What is the international
    > news group service like?

    They used to have a few news server problems, for a while there every few
    days I would email them saying 'your news server has crashed' and someone
    would go and prod it with a stick and it would go for a few more days.
    Recently though it has been very good, I haven't noticed any missing
    international groups.
    Rich, Feb 3, 2004
  9. Snoopy

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    te**yson@caverock.*et.*z says...
    > I am considering switching ISPs to Maxnet. What is the international
    > news group service like?

    What's wrong with Caverock?

    Mainlander, Feb 3, 2004
  10. Snoopy

    Snoopy Guest

    On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 11:20:18 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >te**yson@caverock.*et.*z says...
    >> I am considering switching ISPs to Maxnet. What is the international
    >> news group service like?

    >What's wrong with Caverock?

    International newsgroup support at Caverock is being discontinued from
    the end of the month.

    SNOOPY

    --
    Join the fight against aggressive, unrepentant

    Snoopy, Feb 4, 2004
  11. Snoopy

    Snoopy Guest

    On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 22:30:46 +1300, "Rich" <> wrote:

    >They used to have a few news server problems, for a while there every few
    >days I would email them saying 'your news server has crashed' and someone
    >would go and prod it with a stick and it would go for a few more days.
    >Recently though it has been very good, I haven't noticed any missing
    >international groups.

    How many days worth of posts are available for the newsgroups that you
    subscribe to?

    SNOOPY

    Snoopy, Feb 4, 2004
  12. Snoopy

    Peter Guest

    Snoopy wrote:
    > I am considering switching ISPs to Maxnet. What is the international
    > news group service like?

    pretty good
    There were some problems, but they did an upgrade or something about April
    2003 and things have been pretty good since then.
    I've found the help desk guys to be helpful, too.

    HTH

    Peter
    Peter, Feb 4, 2004
  13. Snoopy *is n wrote:
    >>What's wrong with Caverock?

    > International newsgroup support at Caverock is being discontinued from
    > the end of the month.

    I assume that they are doing it as a cost cutting measure...
    Wonder why they don't cut just binaries...

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 4, 2004
  14. Snoopy

    Rich Guest

    > On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 22:30:46 +1300, "Rich" <> wrote:
    >

    > >They used to have a few news server problems, for a while there every few
    > >days I would email them saying 'your news server has crashed' and someone
    > >would go and prod it with a stick and it would go for a few more days.
    > >Recently though it has been very good, I haven't noticed any missing
    > >international groups.
    > >

    > How many days worth of posts are available for the newsgroups that you
    > subscribe to?

    The earliest new posts I can see today are dated December 18.
    Rich, Feb 4, 2004
  15. Snoopy

    Snoopy Guest

    On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 19:53:17 +1300, "Rich" <> wrote:

    >"Snoopy (*is n)" <te**yson@caverock.*et.*z> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 22:30:46 +1300, "Rich" <> wrote:
    >>

    >> How many days worth of posts are available for the newsgroups that you
    >> subscribe to?

    >The earliest new posts I can see today are dated December 18.

    Six weeks or so of posts? Not bad at all! What overseas newsgroup
    are you talking about specifically?

    SNOOPY

    Snoopy, Feb 4, 2004
  16. Snoopy

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    te**yson@caverock.*et.*z says...
    > On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 11:20:18 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > >te**yson@caverock.*et.*z says...
    > >> I am considering switching ISPs to Maxnet. What is the international
    > >> news group service like?

    > >What's wrong with Caverock?
    > >

    > International newsgroup support at Caverock is being discontinued from
    > the end of the month.

    On what grounds?

    Remember, they pride themselves on service. Their newsfeed used to be one
    of the best in NZ.

    Mainlander, Feb 4, 2004
  17. Snoopy

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    te**yson@caverock.*et.*z says...
    > On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 11:20:18 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > >te**yson@caverock.*et.*z says...
    > >> I am considering switching ISPs to Maxnet. What is the international
    > >> news group service like?

    > >What's wrong with Caverock?
    > >

    > International newsgroup support at Caverock is being discontinued from
    > the end of the month.

    Why not Paradise? There's a few of us ex-Caverockers there. Corky is on
    Paradise now I think.

    Mainlander, Feb 4, 2004
  18. Snoopy

    Snoopy Guest

    Future of ISP Caverock (was 'Maxnet' internet users)

    On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 04:16:09 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >te**yson@caverock.*et.*z says...
    >> On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 11:20:18 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:
    >>
    >> >In article <>,
    >> >te**yson@caverock.*et.*z says...
    >>>
    >>>What's wrong with Caverock?
    >>>

    >>International newsgroup support at Caverock is being discontinued from
    >>the end of the month.

    >On what grounds?

    Cost saving (!). Someone else suggested that it would be easier to
    save costs by just cutting out the binary newsgroups. But I'm not
    sure that the staff at Caverock have much of a clue about newsgroups
    any more. I'm not sure they understand there is any difference
    between binaries and non binaries. Still if 'cost saving' measures
    have got that desperate that they have to cut off their newsfeed I
    guess that introduces some doubt as to the stability of the whole
    operation. This is another reason why I have been spurred into
    action to look elsewhere.

    The first bad sign was when they got rid of their own in house
    newsgroups. That forced any dirty linen Caverock discussion out
    into the public domain, into the Canterbury regional newsgroup or
    nz.comp. Then there was the problem of their own news server
    constantly crashing which is a problem that took almost a year to fix.
    Not that they weren't helpful and didn't try. But no-one there
    seemed to have the technical ability to fix it. It is largely fixed
    now, although the server seemed to have crashed again over Christmas
    while I was away.

    >Remember, they pride themselves on service. Their newsfeed
    >used to be one of the best in NZ.

    I can honestly say I have never found Caverock unhelpful. Niggles
    receive prompt attention.

    Caverock use 'newsfeeds.com' for international news feed. It is not
    perfect and does miss a few posts. But is has a cache that goes back
    a couple of months for the big 8 groups (a time period which is self
    promoted as the best in the industry). Couple this with the local
    pairing from other nz news providers and the total news service is
    rather good. Or 'is rather good' when the local news server stops
    crashing at least. I have no confidence at all about Caverocks
    ability to run their own news server even now. Last year I spent
    weeks plugged into 'newsfeeds' directly because of local server
    problems. Since my principal use of the internet is 'news' I am
    effectively being forced out.

    SNOOPY

    Snoopy, Feb 4, 2004
  19. Snoopy

    Snoopy Guest

    On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 04:17:10 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

    >Why not Paradise? There's a few of us ex-Caverockers there.
    >Corky is on Paradise now I think.

    I have heard good and bad things about Paradise. Are you on dial up?
    What is the international newsfeed like (e.g. how many days worth of
    posts are cached)?

    Front runner to replace Caverock at the moment is 'Snap' who get their
    international newsfeed from Telstra anyway (according to the Riccarton
    office).

    SNOOPY

    Snoopy, Feb 4, 2004
  20. Snoopy

    Rich Guest

    > On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 19:53:17 +1300, "Rich" <> wrote:
    >

    > >"Snoopy (*is n)" <te**yson@caverock.*et.*z> wrote in message
    > >> On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 22:30:46 +1300, "Rich" <> wrote:
    > >>

    > >> How many days worth of posts are available for the newsgroups that you
    > >> subscribe to?

    > >The earliest new posts I can see today are dated December 18.
    > >

    > Six weeks or so of posts? Not bad at all! What overseas newsgroup
    > are you talking about specifically?

    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

    Be careful, Woger likes to lurk there.
    Rich, Feb 5, 2004