    can't this be fixed by just not covering binary groups, or limiting size of
    postings, or something?

    Peter
    Peter, Jan 15, 2007

  2. Peter

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 21:19:44 +1300, Peter <>
    exclaimed:

    >Maxnet response;
    >"As the News Service was provided free of charge, removal of the service has
    >not warranted a reduction in the cost of your monthly plan. Maintenance of
    >that server has become too costly, and our concern is that the majority of
    >data downloaded from it (in excess of 90%) is pornographic."
    >
    >Since the cost was for a package of services, it is difficult to say whether
    >one component was provided free of charge. Certainly, I wouldn't have
    >signed up if usenet newsgroups wasn't included.
    >
    >I can understand about the porn, if it is consuming so much bandwidth. But,
    >can't this be fixed by just not covering binary groups, or limiting size of
    >postings, or something?

    So, since there's only 2 of you that use Usenet, you guys must have a
    pretty solid collection!! lol

    The problem is, it takes time to filter groups, and time is money.
    Simply not viable, I'd imagine, unless one of the helldeskers had an
    avid interest.

    Have you thought about offering to manage it, if they gave you remote
    access? You could guarantee to limit usage to non-binary groups, and
    I'm sure there are some around here that would help.

    --
    Stupidest Comment of the Year Award:

    "People should take responsibility for their actions"

    - (Leftist) Matty F (7/1/2007), when explaining it was actually the quadbiker's fault that he was brutally murdered by Graeme Burton. According to Matty F, it was his fault that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time...
    Fred Dagg, Jan 15, 2007

  3. On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 21:19:44 +1300, Peter wrote:

    > Maxnet response;
    > "As the News Service was provided free of charge, removal of the service has
    > not warranted a reduction in the cost of your monthly plan. Maintenance of
    > that server has become too costly, and our concern is that the majority of
    > data downloaded from it (in excess of 90%) is pornographic."

    Since when has an ISP been responsible for controlling what data can or
    cannot be transmitted through its network?

    --
    Dianthus Mimulus

    Microsoft's business practises exposed in court:
    http://www.maxframe.com/DR/Info/fullstory/dsprgmnt.html#_Toc447960918
    Dianthus Mimulus, Jan 15, 2007
  4. Peter

    Guest Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message

    > Maxnet response;
    > "As the News Service was provided free of charge, removal of the service

    has
    > not warranted a reduction in the cost of your monthly plan. Maintenance of
    > that server has become too costly, and our concern is that the majority of
    > data downloaded from it (in excess of 90%) is pornographic."

    90% porn, is that bullshit? , I have been using usenet for 11 years and was
    unaware that usenet was a major source of porn, most isp's don't provide
    binary newsgroups anyhow do they?
    Guest, Jan 15, 2007

  5. >
    > 90% porn, is that bullshit? , I have been using usenet for 11 years and
    > was
    > unaware that usenet was a major source of porn, most isp's don't provide
    > binary newsgroups anyhow do they?

    Xnet and Orcon provide binary groups.

    I don't know about anyone else.

    Thanks
    Craig Whitmore, Jan 15, 2007
  6. Peter

    Mutlley Guest

    "Craig Whitmore" <> wrote:

    >> 90% porn, is that bullshit? , I have been using usenet for 11 years and
    >> was
    >> unaware that usenet was a major source of porn, most isp's don't provide
    >> binary newsgroups anyhow do they?
    >>

    >Xnet and Orcon provide binary groups.
    >
    >I don't know about anyone else.
    >
    >Thanks

    Orcon... Your kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Mutlley, Jan 15, 2007
  7. Peter

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message

    > Maxnet response;
    > "As the News Service was provided free of charge, removal of the service
    > has
    > not warranted a reduction in the cost of your monthly plan. Maintenance of
    > that server has become too costly, and our concern is that the majority of
    > data downloaded from it (in excess of 90%) is pornographic."
    >
    > Since the cost was for a package of services, it is difficult to say
    > whether
    > one component was provided free of charge. Certainly, I wouldn't have
    > signed up if usenet newsgroups wasn't included.
    >
    > I can understand about the porn, if it is consuming so much bandwidth.
    > But,
    > can't this be fixed by just not covering binary groups, or limiting size
    > of
    > postings, or something?
    >

    > Peter

    The news service is hardly free since it's one of the 3 Internet services
    that some people expect to have and join an ISP to pay for.

    Best idea is to dump the bastards and support an ISP that still provides a
    news service.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Jan 16, 2007
  8. Peter

    Warwick Guest

    On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 21:19:44 +1300, Peter wrote:

    > Maxnet response;
    > "As the News Service was provided free of charge, removal of the service has
    > not warranted a reduction in the cost of your monthly plan. Maintenance of
    > that server has become too costly, and our concern is that the majority of
    > data downloaded from it (in excess of 90%) is pornographic."
    >
    > Since the cost was for a package of services, it is difficult to say whether
    > one component was provided free of charge. Certainly, I wouldn't have
    > signed up if usenet newsgroups wasn't included.
    >
    > I can understand about the porn, if it is consuming so much bandwidth. But,
    > can't this be fixed by just not covering binary groups, or limiting size of
    > postings, or something?
    >

    > Peter

    The mention of pornography is a red herring. Lots of internet traffic is
    porn and their profitability depends on it. I don't see why there should be
    distaste raised over porn via NNTP when there is ten times more of it being
    passed around via HTTP.
    --

    cheers
    Warwick, Jan 17, 2007
  9. Peter

    joe_90 Guest

    Warwick wrote:
    > On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 21:19:44 +1300, Peter wrote:
    >
    >> Maxnet response;
    >> "As the News Service was provided free of charge, removal of the

    service has
    >> not warranted a reduction in the cost of your monthly plan. Maintenance of
    >> that server has become too costly, and our concern is that the majority of
    >> data downloaded from it (in excess of 90%) is pornographic."
    >>
    >> Since the cost was for a package of services, it is difficult to say

    whether
    >> one component was provided free of charge. Certainly, I wouldn't have
    >> signed up if usenet newsgroups wasn't included.
    >>
    >> I can understand about the porn, if it is consuming so much bandwidth.

    But,
    >> can't this be fixed by just not covering binary groups, or limiting

    size of
    >> postings, or something?
    >>

    >> Peter

    > The mention of pornography is a red herring. Lots of internet traffic is
    > porn and their profitability depends on it. I don't see why there

    should be
    > distaste raised over porn via NNTP when there is ten times more of it

    being
    > passed around via HTTP.

    I agree, their stated 'concern' is simply a diversion - it's purely cost
    cutting. After all, ISP contracts do not state explicitly what protocols
    they will support or what services they will supply, so why not block
    HTTP as well?

    I'm afraid it's a case of following the lead from Telecom/Xtra - they
    got away with dumping their news server to save money, and other ISP's
    will follow.
    joe_90, Jan 18, 2007