Maximum of 4 Internal IDE Drives Per Computer??

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Julie P., May 27, 2005.

  1. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    Hi, I have a chance to buy 2 Maxtor PCI cards which will allow me to add 4
    more internal IDE drives per card. They are from 1999 and on clearance for
    only $8.50 each (regular price around $40).

    I have four extra hard drives right now, besides the one that came with my
    Dell:

    Maxtor 200 GB internal
    Western Digital 120 GB internal (installed already)
    Western Digital 160 GB internal
    Western Digital 80 GB external

    plus a USB 2.0 kit which allows me to convert an internal drive to an
    external one.

    I only have 4 IDE slots in my computer (right now I have them filled with a
    CD-ROM drive, a DVD-RW drive, and two hard drives).

    Question: are those PCI IDE expander cards any good if I don't have the
    brackets in my computer for more than 4 IDE drives? Although I intend to
    convert most of my hard drives to external, at that price, I'd hate to pass
    them up, in case of possible future expansion. Or can I add brackets? I have
    a Dell Dimension 4600i with a Pentium 4-2.8 GHz.

    Thanks!

    Julie P., May 27, 2005

  2. Julie P.

    Duane ;-\) Guest

    "Julie P." <> wrote in message
    > Hi, I have a chance to buy 2 Maxtor PCI cards which will allow me to add 4
    > more internal IDE drives per card. They are from 1999 and on clearance for
    > only $8.50 each (regular price around $40).
    >
    > I have four extra hard drives right now, besides the one that came with my
    > Dell:
    >
    > Maxtor 200 GB internal
    > Western Digital 120 GB internal (installed already)
    > Western Digital 160 GB internal
    > Western Digital 80 GB external
    >
    > plus a USB 2.0 kit which allows me to convert an internal drive to an
    > external one.
    >
    > I only have 4 IDE slots in my computer (right now I have them filled with
    > a CD-ROM drive, a DVD-RW drive, and two hard drives).
    >
    > Question: are those PCI IDE expander cards any good if I don't have the
    > brackets in my computer for more than 4 IDE drives? Although I intend to
    > convert most of my hard drives to external, at that price, I'd hate to
    > pass them up, in case of possible future expansion. Or can I add brackets?
    > I have a Dell Dimension 4600i with a Pentium 4-2.8 GHz.

    Not to be a smart ass here. But WTH are you storing that needs that much
    disk space capacity?

    Duane :)

    Duane ;-\), May 27, 2005

  3. Julie P.

    old jon Guest

    Hi Julie P. Your at it again aren`t you !. All the harddrives will need
    powering and your power supply won`t be up to it. You`ll have to hang the
    drives in with pieces of string, and as D says. What the hell are you up to
    ?. Are you maintaining the records for the Bank of England ?.
    (We love you really <g>). best wishes..J

    old jon, May 27, 2005
  4. Julie P. wrote:

    > Hi, I have a chance to buy 2 Maxtor PCI cards which will allow me to add 4
    > more internal IDE drives per card. They are from 1999 and on clearance for
    > only $8.50 each (regular price around $40).
    >
    > I have four extra hard drives right now, besides the one that came with my
    > Dell:
    >
    > Maxtor 200 GB internal
    > Western Digital 120 GB internal (installed already)
    > Western Digital 160 GB internal
    > Western Digital 80 GB external

    That's 540 GB alltogether. Since these harddrives are limited in terms of
    lifetime, you will need a backup system of almost the same amount. You'll
    need about 100 single layer dvdroms and a burner which will be worn-out
    afterwards.

    > plus a USB 2.0 kit which allows me to convert an internal drive to an
    > external one.
    >
    > I only have 4 IDE slots in my computer (right now I have them filled with
    > a CD-ROM drive, a DVD-RW drive, and two hard drives).
    >
    > Question: are those PCI IDE expander cards any good if I don't have the
    > brackets in my computer for more than 4 IDE drives? Although I intend to

    It's not only the brackets you lack. Most probably your PSU will choke
    and/or go up in smoke. Add the amount of power connectors you have to pay
    (a 2nd PSU might help with a really big tower) and the limited-length broad
    ide cables, and you are in big trouble.

    > convert most of my hard drives to external, at that price, I'd hate to
    > pass them up, in case of possible future expansion. Or can I add brackets?
    > I have a Dell Dimension 4600i with a Pentium 4-2.8 GHz.

    I would get a swappable bay. Most certainly you don't need all these
    harddrives at once.

    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.11-mm4[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Walter Mautner, May 27, 2005
  5. Julie P.

    Star@*.* Guest

    On Fri, 27 May 2005 07:34:23 -0400, "Julie P." <>
    wrote:

    >Hi, I have a chance to buy 2 Maxtor PCI cards which will allow me to add 4
    >more internal IDE drives per card. They are from 1999 and on clearance for
    >only $8.50 each (regular price around $40).
    >
    >I have four extra hard drives right now, besides the one that came with my
    >Dell:
    >
    >Maxtor 200 GB internal
    >Western Digital 120 GB internal (installed already)
    >Western Digital 160 GB internal
    >Western Digital 80 GB external
    >
    >plus a USB 2.0 kit which allows me to convert an internal drive to an
    >external one.
    >
    >I only have 4 IDE slots in my computer (right now I have them filled with a
    >CD-ROM drive, a DVD-RW drive, and two hard drives).
    >
    >Question: are those PCI IDE expander cards any good if I don't have the
    >brackets in my computer for more than 4 IDE drives? Although I intend to
    >convert most of my hard drives to external, at that price, I'd hate to pass
    >them up, in case of possible future expansion. Or can I add brackets? I have
    >a Dell Dimension 4600i with a Pentium 4-2.8 GHz.
    >
    >Thanks!

    Julie

    Answers:
    One thing at a time
    1. Your Dell by as shipped will only handle 4 IDE devices.

    2. Your Dell power supply is just about maxed out for +12V. Adding
    anymore Devices will probably be the straw that breaks the camels
    back. In fact if your CPU is a Prescot core you are overloaded now.

    3. Dell PSU are wired different than a normal off the shelf PSU so
    if/when you blow the Dell supply you must get a replacement from
    Dell = many $$$. (No Staples/Best Buy rebate)

    4. Since the cards are from 1999 they are not 48 bit controller cards so
    will not handle HDD > 137G nor will your Dell so the 160G and 200G
    will have to be external run by USB or Firewire.

    5. You have XP-SP2 so the operating system will handle drives > 137G
    but your controller or the ones you are looking at won't =save your
    money.

    6. A cheap price for obsolete hardware is not cheap. And will only be in
    your junk pile.

    7. From your past post you are not a power user and are just building
    up a large supply of software and hardware which really has no value to
    you.

    Advice:
    Just use your computer as is and quit trying to keep up with the Jones.

    HTH

    Star@*.*, May 27, 2005
  6. Julie P.

    Duane ;-\) Guest

    "old jon" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Julie P. Your at it again aren`t you !. All the harddrives will need
    > powering and your power supply won`t be up to it. You`ll have to hang the
    > drives in with pieces of string, and as D says. What the hell are you up
    > to ?. Are you maintaining the records for the Bank of England ?.
    > (We love you really <g>). best wishes..J

    You know some people have that pack rat/hunter gatherer mindset and may
    refuse to delete anything. <g>

    Duane :)

    Duane ;-\), May 27, 2005
  7. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Duane ;-)" <> wrote in message

    > "Julie P." <> wrote in message
    >> Hi, I have a chance to buy 2 Maxtor PCI cards which will allow me to add
    >> 4 more internal IDE drives per card. They are from 1999 and on clearance
    >> for only $8.50 each (regular price around $40).
    >>
    >> I have four extra hard drives right now, besides the one that came with
    >> my Dell:
    >>
    >> Maxtor 200 GB internal
    >> Western Digital 120 GB internal (installed already)
    >> Western Digital 160 GB internal
    >> Western Digital 80 GB external
    >>
    >> plus a USB 2.0 kit which allows me to convert an internal drive to an
    >> external one.
    >>
    >> I only have 4 IDE slots in my computer (right now I have them filled with
    >> a CD-ROM drive, a DVD-RW drive, and two hard drives).
    >>
    >> Question: are those PCI IDE expander cards any good if I don't have the
    >> brackets in my computer for more than 4 IDE drives? Although I intend to
    >> convert most of my hard drives to external, at that price, I'd hate to
    >> pass them up, in case of possible future expansion. Or can I add
    >> brackets? I have a Dell Dimension 4600i with a Pentium 4-2.8 GHz.
    >>

    > Not to be a smart ass here. But WTH are you storing that needs that much
    > disk space capacity?

    Well someone (I forget who) posted here a few weeks ago that the more hard
    drives you have, the better. He mentioned it is better to have separate
    physical drives than multiple partitions. That seems like good advice. Plus
    I will soon be getting another computer and will need hard drives for that
    one too. Rather than have to back up onto multiple DVD+RW's, why not just
    copy everything onto a hard drive and save yourself the hassle?

    My plan is to make a whole bunch of external drives, and store them in
    different places. Where I am not sure yet. Maybe a safe deposit box or in my
    car? Or in a shed? This will help guard against theft, fire, natural
    disaster, hard drive or computer failure, etc.

    I know with the old Macintosh, you could daisy chain up to something like 8
    separate SCSI hard drives together. I am not sure if this can be done
    nowadays though with PC's.

    J.

    Julie P., May 27, 2005
  8. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "old jon" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Julie P. Your at it again aren`t you !. All the harddrives will need
    > powering and your power supply won`t be up to it. You`ll have to hang the
    > drives in with pieces of string, and as D says. What the hell are you up
    > to ?. Are you maintaining the records for the Bank of England ?.
    > (We love you really <g>). best wishes..J

    Oh, good point about the power supply! I will have to make them external
    then and connect only one at a time. And perhaps get rid of a CD-ROM drive
    to save power.

    Also, I need more space since I also just bought Acronis True Image, to
    complement Norton Ghost. Each one has its own deficiencies, so using both
    seems like a good idea.

    J.

    Julie P., May 27, 2005
  9. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Walter Mautner" <> wrote in message
    > Julie P. wrote:
    >
    >> Hi, I have a chance to buy 2 Maxtor PCI cards which will allow me to add
    >> 4
    >> more internal IDE drives per card. They are from 1999 and on clearance
    >> for
    >> only $8.50 each (regular price around $40).
    >>
    >> I have four extra hard drives right now, besides the one that came with
    >> my
    >> Dell:
    >>
    >> Maxtor 200 GB internal
    >> Western Digital 120 GB internal (installed already)
    >> Western Digital 160 GB internal
    >> Western Digital 80 GB external
    >>

    > That's 540 GB alltogether. Since these harddrives are limited in terms of
    > lifetime, you will need a backup system of almost the same amount.

    Oh, I am planning on using each of these drives as separate back-ups to my C
    hard drive. I am kind of obsessive about back-ups. I stored all of my
    college papers, for example, on 4-5 separate floppy disks in case something
    happened to one or two of them. I spend too much time compiling things, so
    I'd hate to lose it due to a stupid reason like spilling soda on it or
    stepping on it!

    Plus, nowadays hard drives are so cheap, it is better to buy them than
    DVD+RW's or whatever. I think of them as a gigantic zip disk. :)

    You'll
    > need about 100 single layer dvdroms and a burner which will be worn-out
    > afterwards.

    A good point.

    >> plus a USB 2.0 kit which allows me to convert an internal drive to an
    >> external one.
    >>
    >> I only have 4 IDE slots in my computer (right now I have them filled with
    >> a CD-ROM drive, a DVD-RW drive, and two hard drives).
    >>
    >> Question: are those PCI IDE expander cards any good if I don't have the
    >> brackets in my computer for more than 4 IDE drives? Although I intend to

    > It's not only the brackets you lack. Most probably your PSU will choke
    > and/or go up in smoke. Add the amount of power connectors you have to pay
    > (a 2nd PSU might help with a really big tower) and the limited-length
    > broad
    > ide cables, and you are in big trouble.
    >
    >> convert most of my hard drives to external, at that price, I'd hate to
    >> pass them up, in case of possible future expansion. Or can I add
    >> brackets?
    >> I have a Dell Dimension 4600i with a Pentium 4-2.8 GHz.
    >>

    > I would get a swappable bay. Most certainly you don't need all these
    > harddrives at once.

    Thanks you Walter! I do need to get some more external kits so I can convert
    them to external. I wonder if they come with their own AC adapter so I don't
    have to rely on my computer's power suppply?

    J.

    Julie P., May 27, 2005
  10. Julie P.

    dadiOH Guest

    Julie P. wrote:

    > Well someone (I forget who) posted here a few weeks ago that the more
    > hard drives you have, the better. He mentioned it is better to have
    > separate physical drives than multiple partitions.

    Me. The part about physical vs logical drives but not about "the more
    the better". Redundancy is good to a degree but soon gets silly.
    ________________

    > My plan is to make a whole bunch of external drives, and store them in
    > different places. Where I am not sure yet. Maybe a safe deposit box
    > or in my car? Or in a shed? This will help guard against theft, fire,
    > natural disaster, hard drive or computer failure, etc.

    Your data is *that* important?
    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, May 27, 2005
  11. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    <Star@*.*> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 27 May 2005 07:34:23 -0400, "Julie P." <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hi, I have a chance to buy 2 Maxtor PCI cards which will allow me to add 4
    >>more internal IDE drives per card. They are from 1999 and on clearance for
    >>only $8.50 each (regular price around $40).
    >>
    >>I have four extra hard drives right now, besides the one that came with my
    >>Dell:
    >>
    >>Maxtor 200 GB internal
    >>Western Digital 120 GB internal (installed already)
    >>Western Digital 160 GB internal
    >>Western Digital 80 GB external
    >>
    >>plus a USB 2.0 kit which allows me to convert an internal drive to an
    >>external one.
    >>
    >>I only have 4 IDE slots in my computer (right now I have them filled with
    >>CD-ROM drive, a DVD-RW drive, and two hard drives).
    >>
    >>Question: are those PCI IDE expander cards any good if I don't have the
    >>brackets in my computer for more than 4 IDE drives? Although I intend to
    >>convert most of my hard drives to external, at that price, I'd hate to
    >>pass
    >>them up, in case of possible future expansion. Or can I add brackets? I
    >>have
    >>a Dell Dimension 4600i with a Pentium 4-2.8 GHz.
    >>
    >>Thanks!
    >>

    > Julie
    >
    > Answers:
    > One thing at a time
    > 1. Your Dell by as shipped will only handle 4 IDE devices.
    >
    > 2. Your Dell power supply is just about maxed out for +12V. Adding
    > anymore Devices will probably be the straw that breaks the camels
    > back. In fact if your CPU is a Prescot core you are overloaded now.

    Ok. I guess there go my plans to add a scanner! :)

    > 3. Dell PSU are wired different than a normal off the shelf PSU so
    > if/when you blow the Dell supply you must get a replacement from
    > Dell = many $$$. (No Staples/Best Buy rebate)

    Thank you Star. I had no idea this was the case. I'll have to be very
    careful until I can get a second computer.

    > 4. Since the cards are from 1999 they are not 48 bit controller cards so
    > will not handle HDD > 137G nor will your Dell so the 160G and 200G
    > will have to be external run by USB or Firewire.

    Wow. I only bought my Dell last year, so I am surprised that it cannot
    handle drives above 137 GB. I thought the manual for my WD drives said the
    drivers would allow my computer to handle this.

    > 5. You have XP-SP2 so the operating system will handle drives > 137G
    > but your controller or the ones you are looking at won't =save your
    > money.
    >
    > 6. A cheap price for obsolete hardware is not cheap. And will only be in
    > your junk pile.

    Ok, guess I didn't need those anyway.

    > 7. From your past post you are not a power user and are just building
    > up a large supply of software and hardware which really has no value to
    > you.
    >
    > Advice:
    > Just use your computer as is and quit trying to keep up with the Jones.

    Yes, I know. I do want to start creating multiple back up hard rives though
    (external) to have as back-ups. Plus I am a pack rat and love a good bargain
    when I see one. :)

    Julie P., May 27, 2005
  12. Julie P.

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Julie P. wrote:
    > "Duane ;-)" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Julie P." <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Hi, I have a chance to buy 2 Maxtor PCI cards which will allow me to add
    >>>4 more internal IDE drives per card. They are from 1999 and on clearance
    >>>for only $8.50 each (regular price around $40).
    >>>
    >>>I have four extra hard drives right now, besides the one that came with
    >>>my Dell:
    >>>
    >>>Maxtor 200 GB internal
    >>>Western Digital 120 GB internal (installed already)
    >>>Western Digital 160 GB internal
    >>>Western Digital 80 GB external
    >>>
    >>>plus a USB 2.0 kit which allows me to convert an internal drive to an
    >>>external one.
    >>>
    >>>I only have 4 IDE slots in my computer (right now I have them filled with
    >>>a CD-ROM drive, a DVD-RW drive, and two hard drives).
    >>>
    >>>Question: are those PCI IDE expander cards any good if I don't have the
    >>>brackets in my computer for more than 4 IDE drives? Although I intend to
    >>>convert most of my hard drives to external, at that price, I'd hate to
    >>>pass them up, in case of possible future expansion. Or can I add
    >>>brackets? I have a Dell Dimension 4600i with a Pentium 4-2.8 GHz.
    >>>

    >>Not to be a smart ass here. But WTH are you storing that needs that much
    >>disk space capacity?
    >>

    > Well someone (I forget who) posted here a few weeks ago that the more hard
    > drives you have, the better. He mentioned it is better to have separate
    > physical drives than multiple partitions. That seems like good advice. Plus
    > I will soon be getting another computer and will need hard drives for that
    > one too. Rather than have to back up onto multiple DVD+RW's, why not just
    > copy everything onto a hard drive and save yourself the hassle?

    IIRC the suggestion was made to you that your idea (at the time) of
    using multiple partitions on the one physical drive as backup drives was
    a little foolish in view of the fact that if the drive died, you lost
    all partitions, thus all backups were gone. Using separate drives
    reduces this risk.

    > My plan is to make a whole bunch of external drives, and store them in
    > different places. Where I am not sure yet. Maybe a safe deposit box or in my
    > car? Or in a shed? This will help guard against theft, fire, natural
    > disaster, hard drive or computer failure, etc.

    It is a sensible move to use external drives that can be stored away
    from the computer. How many? I guess you could be paranoid (nothing
    wrong with that either - depends on how important your data is), and
    have two or three used in rotation. Unless your system changes daily,
    there is no need for a complete backup every day. Ghost or image your
    hard drive at suitable intervals, such as when it changes significantly,
    but backup the data created since the last backup as often as you deem
    necessary.

    I always take the view that my data is more important than the OS or
    programs which can always be reinstalled as necessary whereas data may
    be irreplaceable, or take weeks or months to recreate.

    > I know with the old Macintosh, you could daisy chain up to something like 8
    > separate SCSI hard drives together. I am not sure if this can be done
    > nowadays though with PC's.

    Only with SCSI.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, May 27, 2005
  13. Julie P.

    Duane ;-\) Guest

    "Julie P." <> wrote in message
    > "Duane ;-)" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Julie P." <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi, I have a chance to buy 2 Maxtor PCI cards which will allow me to add
    >>> 4 more internal IDE drives per card. They are from 1999 and on clearance
    >>> for only $8.50 each (regular price around $40).
    >>>
    >>> I have four extra hard drives right now, besides the one that came with
    >>> my Dell:
    >>>
    >>> Maxtor 200 GB internal
    >>> Western Digital 120 GB internal (installed already)
    >>> Western Digital 160 GB internal
    >>> Western Digital 80 GB external
    >>>
    >>> plus a USB 2.0 kit which allows me to convert an internal drive to an
    >>> external one.
    >>>
    >>> I only have 4 IDE slots in my computer (right now I have them filled
    >>> with a CD-ROM drive, a DVD-RW drive, and two hard drives).
    >>>
    >>> Question: are those PCI IDE expander cards any good if I don't have the
    >>> brackets in my computer for more than 4 IDE drives? Although I intend to
    >>> convert most of my hard drives to external, at that price, I'd hate to
    >>> pass them up, in case of possible future expansion. Or can I add
    >>> brackets? I have a Dell Dimension 4600i with a Pentium 4-2.8 GHz.
    >>>

    >> Not to be a smart ass here. But WTH are you storing that needs that much
    >> disk space capacity?
    >>

    > Well someone (I forget who) posted here a few weeks ago that the more hard
    > drives you have, the better. He mentioned it is better to have separate
    > physical drives than multiple partitions. That seems like good advice.
    > Plus I will soon be getting another computer and will need hard drives for
    > that one too. Rather than have to back up onto multiple DVD+RW's, why not
    > just copy everything onto a hard drive and save yourself the hassle?

    I have one CD I back up my important data like tax returns, install keys and
    psw and some other ramdom stuff I deem I need.

    > My plan is to make a whole bunch of external drives, and store them in
    > different places. Where I am not sure yet. Maybe a safe deposit box or in
    > my car? Or in a shed? This will help guard against theft, fire, natural
    > disaster, hard drive or computer failure, etc.

    > I know with the old Macintosh, you could daisy chain up to something like
    > 8 separate SCSI hard drives together. I am not sure if this can be done
    > nowadays though with PC's.

    Other than that, there is nothing on the HDD on none of the machines on my
    network that I would consider indispensable that couldn't be replaced,
    re-constructed or I would wiped out for at the drop of a hat.

    You're HDD thing here does seem questionable and a bit pack rat/hunter
    gatherer-ish. But to each, one must do his or her thing and be happy.

    Duane :)

    Duane ;-\), May 27, 2005
  14. Julie P.

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Julie P. mused:

    | Also, I need more space since I also just bought Acronis True Image,
    | to complement Norton Ghost. Each one has its own deficiencies, so
    | using both seems like a good idea.

    I've been using True Image for months and haven't found a
    deficiency. I got it because Ghost couldn't even see my external drive.

    mhicaoidh, May 27, 2005
  15. Julie P.

    dadiOH Guest

    Julie P. wrote:

    > Also, I need more space since I also just bought Acronis True Image,
    > to complement Norton Ghost.

    Too bad, you could have dumped both - and any partitioning soft you may
    have - and saved some space with Paragon Hard Disk manager :)
    http://www.paragon.ag/hdm/

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, May 27, 2005
  16. Julie P.

    dadiOH Guest

    Julie P. wrote:
    >> 3. Dell PSU are wired different than a normal off the shelf PSU so
    >> if/when you blow the Dell supply you must get a replacement from
    >> Dell = many $$$. (No Staples/Best Buy rebate)
    >>

    > Thank you Star. I had no idea this was the case. I'll have to be very
    > careful until I can get a second computer.

    When you do, get a case with some room...one to which you can add HD
    cages. Antec cases are nice...

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, May 27, 2005
  17. Julie P.

    sbb78247 Guest

    dadiOH wrote:
    > Julie P. wrote:
    >
    >> Well someone (I forget who) posted here a few weeks ago that the more
    >> hard drives you have, the better. He mentioned it is better to have
    >> separate physical drives than multiple partitions.

    > Me. The part about physical vs logical drives but not about "the more
    > the better". Redundancy is good to a degree but soon gets silly.
    > ________________
    >
    >> My plan is to make a whole bunch of external drives, and store them
    >> in different places. Where I am not sure yet. Maybe a safe deposit
    >> box or in my car? Or in a shed? This will help guard against theft,
    >> fire, natural disaster, hard drive or computer failure, etc.

    > Your data is *that* important?

    a porn collection is a terrible thing to waste!

    --

    sbb78247

    Speak the truth and leave shortly there after.

    sbb78247, May 27, 2005
  18. Julie P.

    MrGrumpy Guest

    And sufficient cooling!

    MrGrumpy, May 27, 2005
  19. Julie P.

    Ghostrider Guest

    Julie P. wrote:

    <<snipped>>

    > Oh, I am planning on using each of these drives as separate back-ups to my C
    > hard drive. I am kind of obsessive about back-ups. I stored all of my
    > college papers, for example, on 4-5 separate floppy disks in case something
    > happened to one or two of them. I spend too much time compiling things, so
    > I'd hate to lose it due to a stupid reason like spilling soda on it or
    > stepping on it!
    >
    > Plus, nowadays hard drives are so cheap, it is better to buy them than
    > DVD+RW's or whatever. I think of them as a gigantic zip disk. :)

    Of couse, all of the backups mean nothing unless there is a
    sound backup plan that maintains the integrity of the main
    system. Having an infinite number of separate backups means
    just having an infinite number of separate backups. For your
    degree of obsession, a minimum backup plan requires backing up
    to at least 2 different types of media, one of which is a
    permanent archive, i.e., non-destructible, for that day or
    particular time period, and stored securely. The second type
    of media would depend on whether a progressive or an archival
    backup is made, with a third backup for both progressive and
    archival. Magnetic tape, external drives, etc., are ideal for
    progressive backups --- a minimum of 3 sets for yesterday's,
    today's and tomorrow's backups. Any archival storage needs to
    be off the computer and placed in a safe location where it is
    essentially untouched unless needed...two separate sets are
    always better than one.

    Do some reading on the subject. Do an internship or work as
    an unpaid assistant with a major IS organization to learn some
    of the techniques.

    And, BTW, how are your college papers? Sure that the floppy
    diskettes are still readable? Should have backed up also to
    paper, film as well as optical media.

    Ghostrider, May 27, 2005
  20. Julie P.

    Plato Guest