    message from Encore DVD make me kind of nervous...

    Thanks in advance for any help,

    Axel.
    Axel Sellmann, Oct 3, 2004

  2. "Axel Sellmann" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am creating a DVD with a video part (video_ts folder) having 4GB and a
    > large DVD-ROM part having about 8200 files and 4.5GB. It is going to be
    > a DVD9. When I try to write the disc image for the dual layer DVD Adobe
    > Encore DVD shows an error saying that I exceed the maximum file system
    > size and that i should reduce the number of assets used. When I remove
    > about 2000 files it works. It seems that it is all about the number of
    > files on the disk and not the size.
    >
    > When I create a Video-DVD using Nero I can burn the whole DVD9 with 8200
    > files and the video part without a problem. It just doesnt take Umlauts
    > and special characters, but that is not a problem.
    >
    > My question: Is there a file limit for those ISO/UDF DVDs? The error
    > message from Encore DVD make me kind of nervous...
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help,

    Yes there is, but I'm not sure what it is. There is also a limit to the
    number of nested folders (limited to 8). Some authoring software warns you
    if you breach the limit. Some authoring software just won't let you break
    the rules. Some just doesn't care. If you do exceed the number of files,
    or folders, some systems won't read past the limit, but others will. It's
    exactly these sorts of situations that ISO standards are there to avoid.

    The other issue is those umlauts. An ISO (with Joliet) or UDF disk should
    support the unicode character set (as indeed should the authoring software).
    Umlauted characters are part of the unicode set, so once again the
    international standards are being ignored. However, Nero is in fact a
    rebadged very old writing software that predates the unicode character set,
    so therein may lie the reason.

    Ian.
    Electric Fan Club, Oct 4, 2004