    limit on how long a video cable can be? Also, any idea where I could get a cable
    this long if it would work? Thanks.
    , Jan 22, 2008

  2. JANA Guest

    With the proper specification of cable you can go about 20 feet with VGA. If
    you want to go farther, you will require a VGA extender which is using some
    processing.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    <> wrote in message
    I recently got a SOny Bravia HDTV. It has an input for a computer video
    cable.
    My desktop is in another room, but I'd like to try and hook up my Dell
    Inspiron
    6000 laptop to the TV and see what it looks like as a monitor. To
    comfortably
    sit on my sofa with the computer, I'd need about a 12-15 foot cable. Is
    there a
    JANA, Jan 22, 2008

  3. Mark S. Guest

    <> wrote
    >I recently got a SOny Bravia HDTV. It has an input for a computer video
    >cable.
    > My desktop is in another room, but I'd like to try and hook up my Dell
    > Inspiron
    > 6000 laptop to the TV and see what it looks like as a monitor. To
    > comfortably
    > sit on my sofa with the computer, I'd need about a 12-15 foot cable. Is
    > there a
    > limit on how long a video cable can be? Also, any idea where I could get a
    > cable
    > this long if it would work? Thanks.

    Google "wireless vga". There's plenty of these new products coming onto the
    market.
    It'll cost you more than a cable, but you wont have a big fat ugly cable
    going between rooms.

    Alternatively, get a low-cost, low-energy pc and connect it directly to the
    tv, and use a wireless keyboard and mouse at your sofa. From the comfort of
    your sofa you can use your home network to browse the files on either your
    laptop/desktop, or use any remote-desktop technology to take control of
    either machine.
    Mark S., Jan 22, 2008
  4. rf Guest

    "JANA" <> wrote in message
    > With the proper specification of cable you can go about 20 feet with VGA.

    With the right cable you can go hundreds of feet.

    --
    Richard.
    rf, Jan 22, 2008
  5. richard Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 01:49:33 -0500, wrote:

    >I recently got a SOny Bravia HDTV. It has an input for a computer video cable.
    >My desktop is in another room, but I'd like to try and hook up my Dell Inspiron
    >6000 laptop to the TV and see what it looks like as a monitor. To comfortably
    >sit on my sofa with the computer, I'd need about a 12-15 foot cable. Is there a
    >limit on how long a video cable can be? Also, any idea where I could get a cable
    >this long if it would work? Thanks.

    What kind of video cable is it?
    The ATI tuner card uses a standard 75ohm cable. Those cables have
    virtually unlimited range. Which can be found at any Radio Shack,
    compusa, circuit city, best buy, or any tv store.
    richard, Jan 22, 2008
  6. richard Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 13:48:57 GMT, "rf" <> wrote:

    >"JANA" <> wrote in message
    >> With the proper specification of cable you can go about 20 feet with VGA.

    >With the right cable you can go hundreds of feet.

    But he's speaking of VGA cable which is not the same as 75ohm shielded
    cable.
    richard, Jan 22, 2008
  7. Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 09:53:30 -0500, richard <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 01:49:33 -0500, wrote:
    >
    >>I recently got a SOny Bravia HDTV. It has an input for a computer video cable.
    >>My desktop is in another room, but I'd like to try and hook up my Dell Inspiron
    >>6000 laptop to the TV and see what it looks like as a monitor. To comfortably
    >>sit on my sofa with the computer, I'd need about a 12-15 foot cable. Is there a
    >>limit on how long a video cable can be? Also, any idea where I could get a cable
    >>this long if it would work? Thanks.

    >What kind of video cable is it?
    >The ATI tuner card uses a standard 75ohm cable. Those cables have
    >virtually unlimited range. Which can be found at any Radio Shack,
    >compusa, circuit city, best buy, or any tv store.

    TV manual says use an HD15 to HD15 cable.
    , Jan 22, 2008
  8. PeeCee Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 09:53:30 -0500, richard <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 01:49:33 -0500, wrote:
    >>
    >>>I recently got a SOny Bravia HDTV. It has an input for a computer video
    >>>cable.
    >>>My desktop is in another room, but I'd like to try and hook up my Dell
    >>>Inspiron
    >>>6000 laptop to the TV and see what it looks like as a monitor. To
    >>>comfortably
    >>>sit on my sofa with the computer, I'd need about a 12-15 foot cable. Is
    >>>there a
    >>>limit on how long a video cable can be? Also, any idea where I could get
    >>>a cable
    >>>this long if it would work? Thanks.

    >>What kind of video cable is it?
    >>The ATI tuner card uses a standard 75ohm cable. Those cables have
    >>virtually unlimited range. Which can be found at any Radio Shack,
    >>compusa, circuit city, best buy, or any tv store.

    > TV manual says use an HD15 to HD15 cable.

    HD 15 is a standard PC VGA analog connector
    http://www.monitorworld.com/Cables/Hd15_page.html

    How far you can go beyond a metre or two depends very much on:
    a) the quality of the cable b) the quality of the electronics at each end.

    Various options are open to you:
    1 Buy a long VGA cable and hope it works eg
    http://www.networktechinc.com/cable-pc.html
    2 Buy a VGA Wireless extender
    http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/19/the-wireless-vga-extender-eliminates-some-other-wires-too/
    (be carefull it can handle the resolution)

    and if you are happy to put a device close to the TV and access it via a
    Local Area Network.

    3 Build a small form factor Networked Media PC http://www.byopvr.com/
    4 Buy a Media storage/player like this
    http://www.airlinktek.com/english/product.php?prod=mg350shd

    Of the above I've had mixed results with VGA extension cables, one 2 meter
    extender I had was awful another 2 meter one was just fine. Beyond that
    lenght I've no experience.
    2 & 3 I've never done.
    Media storage/player I have the MG350, works fine as that one has VGA output
    and I can load files to it over the LAN, however it is a bit picky with
    movies basically requiring one to convert them to a compatible format.

    Best
    Paul.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Jan 23, 2008
  9. belte107

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    VGA`

    I do audio video for conferences for corporate clients. and technically the longest a VGA run can be is 100ft before you get signal loss. at that point you would need to ad a DA to boost your signal. However I don't recommend going longer than 75ft.
    belte107, Nov 17, 2012