    people do NOT know about - it's largely pointless, IMO.)

    --

    "everything's ducky"
    thanatoid, Apr 15, 2006

  2. thanatoid

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:Xns97A6B0A528F98thanexit@216.196.97.135,
    thanatoid spewed forth:
    > I remember a guy at work who taught me most of what I know about
    > all this crap telling me he preferred to run all his windows
    > maximized rather than otherwise. He said he felt it was "easier"
    > on the system.
    >
    > Needless to say, this was a LONG time ago.
    >
    > Was there are any foundation to his claim even then, let alone
    > now?

    Total BS.

    > (Aside from the fact that it looks less cluttered, and as long
    > as you know about the Alt/Tab - which an AMAZING amount of
    > people do NOT know about - it's largely pointless, IMO.)

    Or Ctrl/Tab, or Ctrl/Esc, or any other number of really neat hot-key
    commands.

    --
    My wife and I divorced over religious differences. She thought she was
    God and I didn't.
    Toolman Tim, Apr 15, 2006

  3. thanatoid wrote:
    > I remember a guy at work who taught me most of what I know about
    > all this crap telling me he preferred to run all his windows
    > maximized rather than otherwise. He said he felt it was "easier"
    > on the system.
    >
    > Needless to say, this was a LONG time ago.
    >
    > Was there are any foundation to his claim even then, let alone
    > now?
    >
    > (Aside from the fact that it looks less cluttered, and as long
    > as you know about the Alt/Tab - which an AMAZING amount of
    > people do NOT know about - it's largely pointless, IMO.)

    AFAIK, it's largely pointless. Earlier machines may have been slowed
    somewhat by having more windows open on the screen, but I doubt even
    that. It is easier on the machine not to have multiple programs running,
    but that's a different matter.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 16, 2006
  4. thanatoid

    Mitch Guest

    In article <Xns97A6B0A528F98thanexit@216.196.97.135>, thanatoid
    <> wrote:

    > I remember a guy at work who taught me most of what I know about
    > all this crap telling me he preferred to run all his windows
    > maximized rather than otherwise. He said he felt it was "easier"
    > on the system.
    >
    > Needless to say, this was a LONG time ago.
    >
    > Was there are any foundation to his claim even then, let alone
    > now?

    Well, did any program then write or process the contents of background
    windows when they are partially displayed?
    If so, then the data written for that background window, and the data
    for the desktop itself, is getting in the way of data for the main
    window.

    Doesn't this happen with apps even now?

    It is quite possible that the OS could set aside background tasks and
    apps when the front window uses all of the screen, but that would
    defeat the 'multitasking' claims and abilities in a significant and
    annoying way, wouldn't it?
    Game applications still do that today, don't they?
    Mitch, Apr 16, 2006